• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people have a problem with people mistyping themselves?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you saying there are INTJs who would call themselves "greenfairy" and have such an avatar? Because if that is really true, I need to shut up. I thought I knew what I was talking about, but that would prove that I do not.
I don't think the username is typical of that forum, but the avatar is. These are a few from one of the selection pages.
View attachment 7742

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can see those as being INTJ avatars. The women are not cutesy. They're seductive, or their gazes are penetrating, or even a little sullen. There's no simpering and scampering around.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like scampering around. :)

The username and the avatar actually have a lot of symbolism. Most of it NF, I agree. I have the odd magical belief that I am a fairy incarnated in human form, and I feel one with nature- so green fairy makes sense this way. I also really liked Kylie Minogue's version of the Green Fairy in Moulin Rouge- I'm a lot like her but much more cerebral and strange. (I also think she is a fairy in human form.) The green fairy is the patron fairy of artists, and I am both an artist and an art model. Absinthe is supposed to be hallucinogenic, and this relates to me because of my mystical, shamanic nature. Finally, the main ingredient in absinthe is wormwood, whose Latin name is Artemisia absinthium, because it was sacred to the goddess Artemis. Artemis is my patron deity, and she is the one represented in the avatar. She was also called the wood nymph, which is essentially a green fairy. I think Artemis was INXP.

:)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Omg greenfaerie!! :laugh:

dobages

MBTI Type
----
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was wondering how the other cognitive functions come into play(The ones not in dom,aux,ter,inferior). I've seen some sources saying they fit in between the main four, meaning: 1st-dominant,2nd-Auxiliary,(3rd,4th,5th,6th),7th-Tertiary,8th-Inferior (order of usage of each function). Others say they come after the main four. Anyone up for clarifying this ??

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
wow, I've seen this thread title many many times. And I finally just read it the right way. I thought it was about "why do people have a problem with mistyping themselves?"
That's exactly what I thought too until I read your post. "Wait... what... that's not it?"

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can see why people have been saying INFP. Just to quote a quote from another thread:

"INFP may repress their Extroverted Thinking function, meaning they sometimes preserve their own opinion in the face of facts and evidence to the contrary."

Regarding that autistic thing you're referring to. INTP looks alot like INFP. Fi dom does not exude warmth.

I've thought about it, and the fact is that the evidence I've been presented with on here is a small amount compared with the evidence in my own mind, so it's not really that unreasonable. I've read a lot of things and a lot of threads, and, for example, I identify with what Fe users say in their Fe thread far more than the Fi users, and the Fe users identify with what I say. (I could still be an Fi user as in INTJ, but I doubt I'm Fi dominant. And I could be INFJ.) I do this kind of thing with everything; I too notice what different types say and how they say it, and I have made informed decisions. I know what resonates with me and what describes my behavior. I know what types' opinions and thinking styles I feel more drawn to. I can't possibly regurgitate all this on an online forum. So I wouldn't say I'm choosing to believe something despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary; I just file it all away along with my own evidence and look at how it stacks up.

Burger King

I've thought about it, and the fact is that the evidence I've been presented with on here is a small amount compared with the evidence in my own mind, so it's not really that unreasonable. I've read a lot of things and a lot of threads, and, for example, I identify with what Fe users say in their Fe thread far more than the Fi users, and the Fe users identify with what I say. (I could still be an Fi user as in INTJ, but I doubt I'm Fi dominant. And I could be INFJ.) I do this kind of thing with everything; I too notice what different types say and how they say it, and I have made informed decisions. I know what resonates with me and what describes my behavior. I know what types' opinions and thinking styles I feel more drawn to. I can't possibly regurgitate all this on an online forum. So I wouldn't say I'm choosing to believe something despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary; I just file it all away along with my own evidence and look at how it stacks up.

"Facts and Evidence"

LOL. I just read what I quoted to you and asked myself, "What constitutes facts and evidence again?" Looking back at the thread, all I see are a lot of convoluted explanations and different interpretations of the same thing. There is some consensus, but what a pain. The lines are too blurry and difficult/impossible to measure.

So anyways, the bolded, what types exactly? INTJ/INFJ/INTP?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Facts and Evidence"

LOL. I just read what I quoted to you and asked myself, "What constitutes facts and evidence again?" Looking back at the thread, all I see are a lot of convoluted explanations and different interpretations of the same thing. There is some consensus, but what a pain. The lines are too blurry and difficult/impossible to measure.

So anyways, the bolded, what types exactly? INTJ/INFJ/INTP?

Anything and everything constitutes evidence for the purpose of hypothesizing patterns and confirming them, then applying them back again to individuals and seeing which I fit.

It depends on the situation. There are two threads right now about Fi and Fe users explaining how they experience their feeling functions. I read the posts, pick out things from each post that fit me or don't, and assess the person's writing style. As an example. Also I pay attention to and ask questions about the types and certain things, like whether a behavior/feeling/characteristic fits more with one type or function than another, or to see if it is indeed correlated with type. Depending on whether that thing is true of me, I can use that as a piece of "evidence" to point me to a type. 50 such things pointing to one type versus 20 things pointing to another type, and taking into account prominence of said thing in type, I can decide at any moment whether I think the "evidence" points overwhelmingly toward one type or another.

Yes, those 3 are the consensus at the moment. INTJ does a good job of balancing the opposing dominant functions with Ni; and if I think I am more INTX than INXP, I can say that Fi and (developed) Te from INFP fit nicely into INTJ to balance the opposing T functions with the help of Ni/Ne. The INTX part of the theory isn't completely clear yet.
^
l

This is part of my Intertype Fluidity Theory, which uses CF interaction to account for type variation and ambiguity.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Anything and everything constitutes evidence for the purpose of hypothesizing patterns and confirming them, then applying them back again to individuals and seeing which I fit.

It depends on the situation. There are two threads right now about Fi and Fe users explaining how they experience their feeling functions. I read the posts, pick out things from each post that fit me or don't, and assess the person's writing style. As an example. Also I pay attention to and ask questions about the types and certain things, like whether a behavior/feeling/characteristic fits more with one type or function than another, or to see if it is indeed correlated with type. Depending on whether that thing is true of me, I can use that as a piece of "evidence" to point me to a type. 50 such things pointing to one type versus 20 things pointing to another type, and taking into account prominence of said thing in type, I can decide at any moment whether I think the "evidence" points overwhelmingly toward one type or another.

Yes, those 3 are the consensus at the moment. INTJ does a good job of balancing the opposing dominant functions with Ni; and if I think I am more INTX than INXP, I can say that Fi and (developed) Te from INFP fit nicely into INTJ to balance the opposing T functions with the help of Ni/Ne. The INTX part of the theory isn't completely clear yet.
^
l

This is part of my Intertype Fluidity Theory, which uses CF interaction to account for type variation and ambiguity.

The bolded functions would imply that you are INTJ.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Why do people have a problem with people mistyping themselves?

Possibly this has already been mentioned and yes this is not necessarily the point of your topic, but id have said from my own observations of forums such as these, concerning this theory that:

People need self-confirmation and affirmation. They need it like they need air. The interesting variety within this requirement is what is most intriguing to me though.

Some people admire the love of humanity; a sense of clear morals and connections to their neighbours, a burning passion of an arduous nature for it is both beautiful and terrible as it requires the lines of ethics to be drawn quite clearly and sometimes the clarity of an individuals morals are also it's greatest weakness.

Then there are those who admire the cognitive abilities of humanity; they admire the heights of clear and rational thought, soaring above the lesser concerns of those who would find themselves entrentched within complacency at the cost of innovation and within emotive content at the cost of clarity.

These are only two examples of what a person might admire. Some might say admiration is directed towards skills or attributes you do not possess, others would say the opposite. Id say it is inbetween and it is this very inbetween that this theory has hit upon so brilliantly.

So an individual introduced to the theory cannot help but admire him or herself for the archetypes of what a type is, constructed over time by a collective of opinions and assumptions. So many take great pride in attachment to a type so much so that they come to believe that anything that type does is reflective of their own potential.

This is a dangerous thought path to walk down, but so many do and it is equally trod by both thinkers and feelers, intuitives and sensors. But I am not innocent and I would not wish to present myself as some arrogant seer above the flaws he spots. But in noticing this I also learned to turn back from that trek and curtail such traps before I become too sucked in.

Essentially groups then begin to emerge within the idea's of types, they centralise their conclusions, admiring and patting one another on the back at their own brilliance.

"Im the most intelligent, the most logical"

"Well im the most caring, possessed of a sincere emotional depth."

"My abstraction destroys the effluent nature of your abstraction"

"This is irrelevant because my reality is sound and cannot be shaken, I do not need your foolish abstraction, I love what is and admire it for that honesty".

If such a person should appear of a type, but he or she deviates from the group perception....suddenly all is not well.

"This person breaks the framework"

"You dont vibe the right way"

"My type would not say or do it like that".

Now we find ourselves in an odd position and the outcast is either defensive or submissive to these pressing charges.

So in the end they either fight their corner but still end up acquiescing to the group and are absorbed by it, or they submit and are thrown into the void, hoping for acceptance in one of the other groups.

The important point to remember is that these groups may define the heuristic evidence of this theory for themselves, they may define the definitions in agreeance, but this alone is not required to be correct. But it is that very heuristic nature which makes this so hard to avoid. Afterall if there is no collaboration then all is meaningless. It is also made difficult by the reality that not all such accusations as noted above are unfounded.

This is why I would seek to unify the collective towards set standards, but standards that would still be somewhat subject to contextual influence, because the perculiar animal of humanity is a most contextual beast. So in the end both the objective and subjective standards need to be brought into line to stem the tide of mini-group outrage and prejudice.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Nobody wants their special club invaded by those unworthy.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do we have reason to believe that all people of a type behave in many of the same observable ways? You could say that if they don't then they are not the type, but that's kind of circular thinking. Generally if would have to be true since inner functioning tends to manifest as outward behavior- but I just thought there was a lot more type variation. And I was under the impression that they are more about inner working than outward expression. Maybe not.
To some degree, but you are reading far too much into this.

Part of your confusion may come from the fact that you are overrelying on behavior, and even on feelings, to determine type. Yes, members of a type often tend to exhibit similar behaviors - like being on time, or doing thoughtful things for others, but one cannot generalize. Yes, inner functions manifest as observable behaviors, but reliable correlations cannot be made from this. One must look to motivations, methods, and manner instead. To use copperfish's example, any type can give a hurting friend a hug, but what is their underlying motivation, and how will they do this? You see them once, but how often will they do this? What is the range of humanity they will hug in such a circumstance? Any type can feel grief at the death of a loved one, but how will they address it, or express it, or inwardly experience it? Any type can do or feel anything. We must look to why and how to glimpse the functions at work.

This whole odd magical beliefs thing that the OP is fascinated by seems very INTJ to me as I know that is the type most prone to Schizotypal personality disorder as well as the narcissistic, schizoid, and compulsive obsessive disorders.
This is a good example of what I wrote above about behavior not always being a reliable indicator of type. I am an INTJ, and a pagan. My spirituality, however, is not fueled so much by odd magical beliefs as by appreciation of science. I was attracted to paganism in large part by how closely the beliefs and symbols are tied into the natural world. You can claim that paganism is as unscientific as the next religion, and I won't argue (too much). I am mentioning this only to point out that people can do the same thing, even very significant things like choose a religion, operating from different motivations, preferences and cognitive functions.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Part of your confusion may come from the fact that you are overrelying on behavior, and even on feelings, to determine type. Yes, members of a type often tend to exhibit similar behaviors - like being on time, or doing thoughtful things for others, but one cannot generalize. Yes, inner functions manifest as observable behaviors, but reliable correlations cannot be made from this. One must look to motivations, methods, and manner instead. To use copperfish's example, any type can give a hurting friend a hug, but what is their underlying motivation, and how will they do this? You see them once, but how often will they do this? What is the range of humanity they will hug in such a circumstance? Any type can feel grief at the death of a loved one, but how will they address it, or express it, or inwardly experience it? Any type can do or feel anything. We must look to why and how to glimpse the functions at work.
It may appear so from what I wrote, but this couldn't be farther from the truth. I take all of this into account as well; in fact this is more my focus than observable behavior. I just didn't want to go into all the details. And from what I've observed and theorized, there is quantitative and qualitative "evidence" in several places.

This is a good example of what I wrote above about behavior not always being a reliable indicator of type. I am an INTJ, and a pagan. My spirituality, however, is not fueled so much by odd magical beliefs as by appreciation of science. I was attracted to paganism in large part by how closely the beliefs and symbols are tied into the natural world. You can claim that paganism is as unscientific as the next religion, and I won't argue (too much). I am mentioning this only to point out that people can do the same thing, even very significant things like choose a religion, operating from different motivations, preferences and cognitive functions.

This is true for me as well. The magic is only part of it; if I just wanted odd magical beliefs I could be Catholic. I am pagan basically because it fits with the underlying truths I have deduced about reality. Reality to me is the natural world, and paganism is completely compatible with it.

I appreciate you confirming that spirituality is not automatically tied to type.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Possibly this has already been mentioned and yes this is not necessarily the point of your topic, but id have said from my own observations of forums such as these, concerning this theory that:

People need self-confirmation and affirmation. They need it like they need air. The interesting variety within this requirement is what is most intriguing to me though.

Some people admire the love of humanity; a sense of clear morals and connections to their neighbours, a burning passion of an arduous nature for it is both beautiful and terrible as it requires the lines of ethics to be drawn quite clearly and sometimes the clarity of an individuals morals are also it's greatest weakness.

Then there are those who admire the cognitive abilities of humanity; they admire the heights of clear and rational thought, soaring above the lesser concerns of those who would find themselves entrentched within complacency at the cost of innovation and within emotive content at the cost of clarity.

These are only two examples of what a person might admire. Some might say admiration is directed towards skills or attributes you do not possess, others would say the opposite. Id say it is inbetween and it is this very inbetween that this theory has hit upon so brilliantly.

So an individual introduced to the theory cannot help but admire him or herself for the archetypes of what a type is, constructed over time by a collective of opinions and assumptions. So many take great pride in attachment to a type so much so that they come to believe that anything that type does is reflective of their own potential.

This is a dangerous thought path to walk down, but so many do and it is equally trod by both thinkers and feelers, intuitives and sensors. But I am not innocent and I would not wish to present myself as some arrogant seer above the flaws he spots. But in noticing this I also learned to turn back from that trek and curtail such traps before I become too sucked in.

Essentially groups then begin to emerge within the idea's of types, they centralise their conclusions, admiring and patting one another on the back at their own brilliance.

"Im the most intelligent, the most logical"

"Well im the most caring, possessed of a sincere emotional depth."

"My abstraction destroys the effluent nature of your abstraction"

"This is irrelevant because my reality is sound and cannot be shaken, I do not need your foolish abstraction, I love what is and admire it for that honesty".

If such a person should appear of a type, but he or she deviates from the group perception....suddenly all is not well.

"This person breaks the framework"

"You dont vibe the right way"

"My type would not say or do it like that".

Now we find ourselves in an odd position and the outcast is either defensive or submissive to these pressing charges.

So in the end they either fight their corner but still end up acquiescing to the group and are absorbed by it, or they submit and are thrown into the void, hoping for acceptance in one of the other groups.

The important point to remember is that these groups may define the heuristic evidence of this theory for themselves, they may define the definitions in agreeance, but this alone is not required to be correct. But it is that very heuristic nature which makes this so hard to avoid. Afterall if there is no collaboration then all is meaningless. It is also made difficult by the reality that not all such accusations as noted above are unfounded.

This is why I would seek to unify the collective towards set standards, but standards that would still be somewhat subject to contextual influence, because the perculiar animal of humanity is a most contextual beast. So in the end both the objective and subjective standards need to be brought into line to stem the tide of mini-group outrage and prejudice.

Very good way of looking at it.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Some people use feeling judgement to determine type and can end up typing as who they value as opposed to who they are.

Others can over-analyze and get into a limbo because its so easy to see things from different angles which can cause you to match up as more then one type. MBTI personalities dont seem to fully align when it comes to external vs internal self.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The bolded functions would imply that you are INTJ.

So it would seem. It's a strong possibility, as it uses Fi and Ni. One could even theorize than INXJ is like a combination of INXP, depending on which judging function is "preferred," when the two types integrate for a purpose.

I'm thinking that the "internal logical framework" I think I have is more INTJ. Everything I've said so far points to it. My thoughts aren't linear; they are a three dimensional figure made up of symbols and a hierarchy of categories, all interconnected. (But all the interconnections seem Ne as well...) This logical framework is so complex that any attempts to communicate it often get jumbled up and confused because of the abstract nature of the figure (and Ni + Fi). I can extract linear trains of thought from it, it just takes time and work. It just seems that I do the activities in the description of the Ti function rather obsessively, so I would be INTJ with developed shadow Ti, or INTX.

Edit: But it all comes down to this!
Yin-Yang.jpg
Just sayin.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Im going to post this because it is somewhat relevant, plus I find it amusing...because im going to be a hypocrite here and say even I dont think this lady is an INTJ:

In fact some of the comments on that video are brilliant examples of people mistyping or at least misconcepting.