• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people have a problem with people mistyping themselves?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I realize that I may come across a little aggresive with the following post, but in no way am I trying to offend you.

You know, if you're really as sure as you seem to be about your type, why are you still looking for feedback? It seems to me that you're unwilling to budge on your preformed conclusion (that you must be some kind of NT), and that's why I deleted my second post in your other forum last night - I probably deleted it before you saw it. The impression I'm getting from you is that you aren't really interested in hearing an answer other than some variety of NT (though you claim to be open to debating on it). I would hazard a guess to say that many forum members (including myself) have simply given up trying to debate w/you because you seem to be so unopen to - even dismissive of - what they've got to say.

Also, I don't understand why you aren't taking time to do some serious research on the cognitive functions yourself, 'cause I'd assume that the majority of members on this forum don't have the time to spoon-feed you the information you need. You have all the resources you need on the Internet. Granted, there's a lot of downright awful material on the interwebs as well - which is why you should exercise prudence when you pick your resources.

Again, I'm just being frank with you and am not looking to offend. I'm sorry if I did, though.

I had thought I had typed myself correctly, and the original point of the thread was to tell people how I am atypical and use that information to help type other people. It wasn't to ask people to try to type me. But the fact was that I wanted to know if people thought I was another type because I do value being open minded. And people didn't seem to be that open minded when they were giving their opinions. I wanted evidence to the contrary, and people couldn't sufficiently explain themselves. I'm open to people convincing me I am INFP; but I'm not asking you to. I'm fine with my decision. The only reason I go on about this is that there are some people who are convinced I have made the wrong decision and that annoys them; and so I am valuing their opinion by allowing them to explain themselves. Which it's been hard to get people to do. And I think I know the cognitive functions well; it's just that apparently people think I don't know what Ti and Fi means because they think I have them mixed up. Do you understand? I'm trying to be openminded, but the only way I can be convinced is with an actual argument backed up by showing me that my argument is invalid.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I had thought I had typed myself correctly, and the original point of the thread was to tell people how I am atypical and use that information to help type other people. It wasn't to ask people to try to type me.

Well, then I don't think you made your intentions clear enough - with both of your threads. I re-read the OP/first post of both, and neither seemed to reveal the intentions you supposedly had in creating them. You even had a poll asking people which type they think you are in one of them.

But the fact was that I wanted to know if people thought I was another type because I do value being open minded.

I think I see Fi right there.

And people didn't seem to be that open minded when they were giving their opinions.

I don't understand this statement. You asked for their opinion. They gave you honest answers (most of which you probably didn't like).

I wanted evidence to the contrary, and people couldn't sufficiently explain themselves. I'm open to people convincing me I am INFP; but I'm not asking you to. I'm fine with my decision. The only reason I go on about this is that there are some people who are convinced I have made the wrong decision and that annoys them; and so I am valuing their opinion by allowing them to explain themselves. Which it's been hard to get people to do.

Are you trying to tell me that the burden of proof is on the rest of us? To prove you wrong?
I don't know. I'd say it's on you, mate. You aren't convincing anyone here unless you prove to us that you are indeed whatever type you think you are.

And I think I know the cognitive functions well; it's just that apparently people think I don't know what Ti and Fi means because they think I have them mixed up. Do you understand? I'm trying to be openminded, but the only way I can be convinced is with an actual argument backed up by showing me that my argument is invalid.

In that case, do me a favor and collect your arguments into one coherent post. I don't want to waste time skimming through buttloads of posts just to prove you wrong. I have better things to spend time on, and so does everyone else, I think.

So what type do you think you are at this point? Still INTP?

Excuse me for being blunt: I've been reading over both of your threads, and now I'm almost 100% sure you are not an INTP. You don't sound like one, nor do you argue like one. I really didn't want to say this, but I can see so many flaws in your reasonings that I don't even feel like putting my time into listing all of them for you.

Anyhow, if you aren't willing to take up your part of the "debate," I see no point in engaging you any futher.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Srsly, the name "greenfairy" with that avatar can mean at most a couple of things, but normally usually and generally, it REEKS of INFP. I can smell it from here. And this sort of making stuff up that you do in your process also is INFP in a very big way. Take a spare handful of facts and start pushing them into some construct that bears little relationship to reality and going out the front door and then all around the universe in the most winding possible path to get to your own back yard kind of thinking. You call that Thinking, and I see how you could get that -- but that is not NT Thinking, not even a little bit. Not even a little bit. Your process makes the NTs snort in derision -- you can see how they are responding to you. And you are not responding in kind, either. So this is another hint -- if the people of the type you claim do not embrace you, you might be mistyping yourself. The NTs are rejecting you out of hand, without equivocation.

(Come to the NFs, my child. We are your people. You are beautiful. Here is a flower for your hair.)

I understand what you're saying -- you need pushback so you can grasp the boundaries; if no one pushes back for you, you just keep sort of drifting around and can't get the shape of the thing. But entering that kind of dialog is work and begins to be tedious after you've done it a million times, especially if the person is tending to be stubborn. So don't be surprised if you get some curt responses occasionally.

Do your reading. Sit back and observe, too. Watch how other people play out their types and enneagrams. See who you develop kinship with. Etc. (which I'm sure you are doing; just trying to give helpful suggestions)

Last edited:

rav3n

The premise of this thread is ridiculous, as in, 'people owe it to me to prove me wrong'. As if people have the time, energy and desire to waste more on the delusional, beyond the time and energy they've already wasted.

Analogous would be trying to prove to a paranoid schizophrenic, that they're a paranoid schizophrenic. Good luck with that! :laugh:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A lot of people seem pretty pissed off at the OP for these long rants about why or why not INFP or INTP or even INTJ is the right type yet all of the comments are continuing which is kind of amusing since you people claim to not care about the OP's type yet you keep on smashing in your opinions.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just go off vibes and you vibe infp. Don't check yourself against saturned she's an enfp type of Infp.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A lot of people seem pretty pissed off at the OP for these long rants about why or why not INFP or INTP or even INTJ is the right type yet all of the comments are continuing which is kind of amusing since you people claim to not care about the OP's type yet you keep on smashing in your opinions.

Awww..... Aren't you gettin' enough lovin'? :newwink:

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If I could just agree with everyone so they wouldn't be annoyed anymore, I'd probably do it. But I can't because I don't. I might in the future, but it takes a lot of in depth comments about specific cognitive functions and function order and specifically how they apply to me and why my characteristics can't be explained by other CF's. And if people don't want to go to all that trouble, I'm not going to change my mind. If people are annoyed enough, that's what they have to do. Debate with me about my type and win. I am listening. And I am starting to see how I could be INFP, I'm just not there yet.
All we have to go on are your posts, and people like andante have pain-stakingly (if aggressively) picked them apart to show where it looks like you are preferring one cog func over another. You refuse to listen to anyone. At this point people are getting a bit bored with the attention-whoring. Most newbs do not try to monopolise forum resources in the way you have. I mentioned before how inconsiderate I thought you were being. Not just with all the egocentric posting but other behaviours too (like your PM to me out of the blue, telling me to do something for you without even introducing yourself). When someone like me complains about your netiquette, you gotta know you reeaally fucked up.
You have explained that you have poor social skills, are perhaps a bit autistic - such things make typing harder, and, honestly, moot.
There's something passive aggressive about the way you keep needling people for responses, then not listening to anything they tell you. Then play the victim by starting threads like this one to complain, and elicit more attention.

When I pointed out to you that Ti did not appear to be a strength, you answered that you sucked at all the other functions too, but somehow the net result gave you moments of greatness. How does one argue with that?

I accept that you can be INTP and suck at Ti. I dont believe preference = strength. I do not think you are, because I mostly identify other INTPs by a kind of gut recognition I get when I read their posts. I dont get that with you. Nada. I'm not saying this is a watertight case, nothing in typology is.

To reiterate, most people don't care how you type yourself. It's the other stuff that pisses people off. But I'm fairly certain, given your threads, you dont much care about pissing people off.

If you still feel you're INTP, call yourself that. Honestly, no one cares.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, then I don't think you made your intentions clear enough - with both of your threads. I re-read the OP/first post of both, and neither seemed to reveal the intentions you supposedly had in creating them. You even had a poll asking people which type they think you are in one of them.
No, which is why I took the time to correct it in a separate post on the thread, and a few other times. I should probably have edited the OP to say it explicitly.

I think I see Fi right there.
Alright, that's an argument. Which would be valid if INFP's value being open minded more than most other types. Or if INTX's don't particularly value being openminded. And we should look at the purpose and the reasoning behind the value as well; I see it as I can't possibly reach knowledge of objective truth if I don't weigh my opinions against other people's. Which could either look at Ti searching for truth through Ne (INTP), Ni synthesizing both Te and Fi (INTJ), Fi seeing other viewpoints and being able to see the value in them through understanding of objectivity and then using Te for confirmation (INFP), or even Fe+Ti synthesized by Ni in INFJ.

I don't understand this statement. You asked for their opinion. They gave you honest answers (most of which you probably didn't like).
Whether or not I liked them is not the point. The ones which were the most emphatic didn't contain very much actual information and reasoning.

Are you trying to tell me that the burden of proof is on the rest of us? To prove you wrong?
I don't know. I'd say it's on you, mate. You aren't convincing anyone here unless you prove to us that you are indeed whatever type you think you are.

Well yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. I'm not the one who has a problem with me supposedly being mistyped. If you do, and you think I'm wrong, and I should change my mind, then you are the one starting the debate and the burden of proof is on you.

In that case, do me a favor and collect your arguments into one coherent post. I don't want to waste time skimming through buttloads of posts just to prove you wrong. I have better things to spend time on, and so does everyone else, I think.
Ok, I'll try to do that. I figured there was so much information it would be impossible. (Fi seeing all the subjective nuances of my personality?) But if I am a type I should be able to.

Excuse me for being blunt: I've been reading over both of your threads, and now I'm almost 100% sure you are not an INTP. You don't sound like one, nor do you argue like one. I really didn't want to say this, but I can see so many flaws in your reasonings that I don't even feel like putting my time into listing all of them for you.

Anyhow, if you aren't willing to take up your part of the "debate," I see no point in engaging you any futher.
Ok, so I don't sound like INTP or argue like one, and I have flaws in my reasonings. That may be. Mind telling me the reasons behind these statements? So I can agree with you? I'm willing to if you can provide me with something to agree with. How do INTP's argue in your experience? How do they sound? And can you give me one example of a flaw in my reasoning so I can attempt to correct it? I don't mind you giving me your opinion. I appreciate it. It's just that even if I may not excel at logic all the time that's how my mind attempts to work, so I need all the puzzle pieces to fit before I can firmly establish the puzzle in my mind as fact. Which means I need to know specifically how INFP contrasts with INTP in the cases you pointed out.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Srsly, the name "greenfairy" with that avatar can mean at most a couple of things, but normally usually and generally, it REEKS of INFP. I can smell it from here. And this sort of making stuff up that you do in your process also is INFP in a very big way. Take a spare handful of facts and start pushing them into some construct that bears little relationship to reality and going out the front door and then all around the universe in the most winding possible path to get to your own back yard kind of thinking. You call that Thinking, and I see how you could get that -- but that is not NT Thinking, not even a little bit. Not even a little bit. Your process makes the NTs snort in derision -- you can see how they are responding to you. And you are not responding in kind, either. So this is another hint -- if the people of the type you claim do not embrace you, you might be mistyping yourself. The NTs are rejecting you out of hand, without equivocation.

(Come to the NFs, my child. We are your people. You are beautiful. Here is a flower for your hair.)

I understand what you're saying -- you need pushback so you can grasp the boundaries; if no one pushes back for you, you just keep sort of drifting around and can't get the shape of the thing. But entering that kind of dialog is work and begins to be tedious after you've done it a million times, especially if the person is tending to be stubborn. So don't be surprised if you get some curt responses occasionally.

Do your reading. Sit back and observe, too. Watch how other people play out their types and enneagrams. See who you develop kinship with. Etc. (which I'm sure you are doing; just trying to give helpful suggestions)

Thanks. So in the first paragraph you are saying my thoughts tend to meander and grab onto a bunch of seemingly unrelated things before they form a conclusion. Is that what Fi or inferior Te does? I figured it was the N function. But I can see how T would be more linear, and how my thoughts aren't really linear. That's a good point. I'm not really sure what you mean by the bolded.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The premise of this thread is ridiculous, as in, 'people owe it to me to prove me wrong'. As if people have the time, energy and desire to waste more on the delusional, beyond the time and energy they've already wasted.

Analogous would be trying to prove to a paranoid schizophrenic, that they're a paranoid schizophrenic. Good luck with that! :laugh:

I'm simply saying being typed as the one I chose regardless of the truth of it was something that worked for me at the moment and seemed true to me. It seems to bother people, and instead of saying F you I don't care whether you like my mistype or not I'm doing you all a favor by hearing your reasoning so maybe I'll change my mind if it's true, and then you won't be bothered anymore. I could just say I'm choosing to be INTP even if I'm wrong and that's that, but I figure you NT's who think I'm not would find that even more annoying.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Your argument that the burden of proof is on others doesn't make sense. It's like if I were to go around declaring loudly that I was 100% Asian, despite the fact that my cultural demeanor, my features, my colouring and so on all declared otherwise. It's not that it really matters one way or the other, but it's hard for people to avoid pointing out the obvious, or else wanting additional information that would give more context/information to your statement.

You're kind of asking for it by choosing to represent yourself the way you do on the forum. From the short time you have been here, all of the information people have just points away from you being an NT. However, if you have additional information/context, or even if it just makes you feel better, you can choose to be any type you want. It just means that you will probably have to put up with the occasional comment from people who are going to state what appears obvious to them.

G

garbage

It seems to bother people,
I hope I can ask this without it becoming a clusterfuck..

..but has this happened outside of this and any other threads about your type? Do people actually bring your type up out of the blue, or does it only happen when you ask questions about your type?

(I'd love to steer all of this into an actual conversation about why people care so much about others' typings, but, well, that assumes that people do actually care.)

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All we have to go on are your posts, and people like andante have pain-stakingly (if aggressively) picked them apart to show where it looks like you are preferring one cog func over another. You refuse to listen to anyone.
I do appreciate that; I was just frustrated because I couldn't see how said Cf's applied, and there wasn't any reasoning behind the particular Cf labels. I am listening; numerous times I've said I can see your point and listed my reasons why I agree or why I think I can in fact appear that way. So my mind is shifting, it's just a gradual process. I go about it like a scientific theory; I gather and weigh evidence on both sides. Evidence is currently stacked in different places, and it continually shifts and re-sorts itself.
At this point people are getting a bit bored with the attention-whoring. Most newbs do not try to monopolise forum resources in the way you have. I mentioned before how inconsiderate I thought you were being. Not just with all the egocentric posting but other behaviours too (like your PM to me out of the blue, telling me to do something for you without even introducing yourself). When someone like me complains about your netiquette, you gotta know you reeaally fucked up.
You have explained that you have poor social skills, are perhaps a bit autistic - such things make typing harder, and, honestly, moot.
There's something passive aggressive about the way you keep needling people for responses, then not listening to anything they tell you. Then play the victim by starting threads like this one to complain, and elicit more attention.

I appreciate you pointing these out to me. I had no idea I needed to introduce myself in my message to you. (Honestly I don't remember what it was about, but I think I thought you were a mod of some sort.) I thought I was using the forum for its intended purpose, which was (partly) to have fun typing people, and I thought I would be especially fun since I'm an unusual person. I enjoy doing that on here with other people. So I'll do that less knowing it's bad ettiquette and try to figure out what proper forum use is. Maybe I was being passive-aggressive. Which I don't like, and I will make an effort to stop doing.

When I pointed out to you that Ti did not appear to be a strength, you answered that you sucked at all the other functions too, but somehow the net result gave you moments of greatness. How does one argue with that?
Honestly I don't know, because it confuses me too.

I accept that you can be INTP and suck at Ti. I dont believe preference = strength. I do not think you are, because I mostly identify other INTPs by a kind of gut recognition I get when I read their posts. I dont get that with you. Nada. I'm not saying this is a watertight case, nothing in typology is.

To reiterate, most people don't care how you type yourself. It's the other stuff that pisses people off. But I'm fairly certain, given your threads, you dont much care about pissing people off.

If you still feel you're INTP, call yourself that. Honestly, no one cares.

I'll read more and think about it, and I might change my mind at some point. At this point all I can be sure about is inferior or shadow Fe and well developed Ni.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hope I can ask this without it becoming a clusterfuck..

..but has this happened outside of this and any other threads about your type? Do people actually bring your type up out of the blue, or does it only happen when you ask questions about your type?

(I'd love to steer all of this into an actual conversation about why people care so much about others' typings, but, well, that assumes that people do actually care.)

Well it did on my latest kind of failed thread, because it was about touchy feel-y poetic stuff which I thought I would try getting into for a change; I didn't think about the fact that that too is what people have to go on in trying to type me (which I really should have considered as they had no way of knowing what my motivations were in posting it or how I felt about it). People thought it looked Fi, and honestly it kind of did. Or Fe + Ni was my argument. But definitely not INTP-looking. I automatically give weight to "evidence" in my mind according to what I've read and organized, and what I know about myself, and don't really think about the fact that other people aren't in my mind.

From what I gather it's not that people care perse, it just bothers them when things don't make sense. And honestly it bothers me just as much when things don't make sense to me- I just don't apply that to people's types. But I can understand if something like that jumps out at you. I hadn't really looked at it that way before, but it makes sense. In which case there's not a neat answer except to not choose a type, because either way someone is going to think it doesn't make sense. So that's where I currently am.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your argument that the burden of proof is on others doesn't make sense. It's like if I were to go around declaring loudly that I was 100% Asian, despite the fact that my cultural demeanor, my features, my colouring and so on all declared otherwise. It's not that it really matters one way or the other, but it's hard for people to avoid pointing out the obvious, or else wanting additional information that would give more context/information to your statement.

You're kind of asking for it by choosing to represent yourself the way you do on the forum. From the short time you have been here, all of the information people have just points away from you being an NT. However, if you have additional information/context, or even if it just makes you feel better, you can choose to be any type you want. It just means that you will probably have to put up with the occasional comment from people who are going to state what appears obvious to them.

That's a good point too. Except that a type isn't as obvious as ethnicity. And you could be saying you grew up in Asia, and people thought you meant ethnicity just to continue the example.

I presented myself in the way I did because I thought people would be interested in my theories for why I am atypical of my (now hypothetical) type. A couple of people did see it that way; RaptorWizard and Mal+ also have a theory of tri-types and corresponding CF distribution, and we had some fun discussing these. I also was interested in discussing how being pagan would affect being atypical. It appears the consensus is that it doesn't. No matter, it was fun exploring the question. So I didn't successfully present that I suppose, or people just weren't all that interested in explaining somewhat extreme type variation.

That said, I have a much better understanding of why I've gotten the reaction I have, and I can see how it would be reasonable. I appreciate the feedback.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I thought you were a mod of some sort

Heh. You're not too great at reading context, eh?

I'm tempted to tell you to go and ask what they think @ INTPc, but I'm not that cruel.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So to sum it up: I now have the answers to all the (partly rhetorical) questions in the OP.

I can understand if it's just something that jumps out as inaccurate- like if you keep looking at someone's clock and it's like 6 hours off and it's just so persistently wrong that you have to go and reset it. Which I can understand because this particular scenario has happened to me about a million times.

I was totally incorrect in my understanding of people's motivations and forum usage, because being (probably) somewhat autistic my Fe is inferior to everyone else's. No sarcasm here, it's a fact.

So sorry; I've taken all advice into consideration and will act accordingly.

(And just for the record my type is officially XNXX for now, and unofficially IENTFPJS with INTP kind of hovering around the center but not occupying a fixed position. Like an electron orbiting a nucleus.)

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Heh. You're not too great at reading context, eh?

I'm tempted to tell you to go and ask what they think @ INTPc, but I'm not that cruel.

Not at all.

:eeep: Haha. I was considering it, but perhaps I won't.