User Tag List

First 223031323334 Last

Results 311 to 320 of 342

  1. #311
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by copperfish17 View Post
    Well, you're still typing yourself based on which traits you like in people & how you want to be seen/treated by others. Which isn't the right way to type yourself, but at this point I should know that nothing will convince you that you aren't INTP (which seems to be everyone else's consensus though, sighhhh). I really don't understand how you could so... flippantly ignore golden (typing) advice from a number of wise members on this forum who now seem to have wasted their breaths.

    I give up - crazy can't be reasoned with. Fool yourself if you so wish, but don't expect everyone else to be fooled.

    It's funny that I probably relate less to the generic, flat INTP profiles on the interwebs than you claim to do. Oh well, I'm outta here.
    I don't know that I'm typing myself that way- it just makes sense to me. And it's just a temporary kind of type, as I can't neatly put myself into one. Convincing me I'm not INTP is fine, but not-INTP is not a type. I don't see that I fit INFP or INTJ any more. They're about the same in my mind. As for advice, I have expressed appreciation for all of it that I find to be useful and respectful, and taken it into consideration. Not agreeing doesn't mean I haven't listened. I may decide on a type some day which is other than INTP, and it might be because of what people have told me; but that time is not now.

    So, how did you decide on your type? In what ways are you INTP that you think I am blatantly not, and what makes you sure of your type if you relate less to the profiles?

  2. #312
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    So several people have implicitly called me crazy or irrational or both. Is this the popular consensus?

  3. #313
    Senior Member Little_Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    So several people have implicitly called me crazy or irrational or both. Is this the popular consensus?
    Hah hah.

  4. #314
    Senior Member copperfish17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I don't know that I'm typing myself that way- it just makes sense to me. And it's just a temporary kind of type, as I can't neatly put myself into one. Convincing me I'm not INTP is fine, but not-INTP is not a type. I don't see that I fit INFP or INTJ any more. They're about the same in my mind. As for advice, I have expressed appreciation for all of it that I find to be useful and respectful, and taken it into consideration. Not agreeing doesn't mean I haven't listened. I may decide on a type some day which is other than INTP, and it might be because of what people have told me; but that time is not now.
    Okay, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

    I decided not to curse you with a specific type 'cause I don't think I have enough information in my hands to do that. With the INFP vs INTJ thing - the former makes use of Ne and the latter, Ni. Ni would be foreign to an INFP (or an INTP; both INFPs and INTPs have auxillary Ne instead), as Ne would be foreign to an INTJ. INTJs' primary cognitive function is Ni - Ne, then, would automatically become their demonic (8th; least preferred) function.

    So, how did you decide on your type? In what ways are you INTP that you think I am blatantly not, and what makes you sure of your type if you relate less to the profiles?
    How did I decide on my type? I read a lot of in-depth material/threads on the cognitive functions, and discovered that how I process and express information aligns more with Ti rather than Te, Ne rather than Ni, Si rather than Se, and Fe rather than Fi. Spending a lot of time with my INTJ best friend (who prefers all the opposite functions) proved to be a rather enlightening experience actually; while we tended to agree on a lot of things and possessed very similar traits, (after butting heads several times in drawn-out, tedious debates) it became obvious to both of us that we didn't process information like each other at all. However, both of us could understand (with some effort) where the other person was coming from. I guess you could say that we learned to appreciate and respect each other's thought processes.

    To answer your second question: I don't think you're INTP because I don't think you reason along the lines of Ti logic/in the Ti mindset. I was able to observe Te-style thinking/logical procedures though. There really isn't much else I could say about this issue, as 1) I don't know you in person and 2) my only source of information on you is this thread, and you haven't expanded upon which cognitive functions you prefer with the following pairings: Ne vs Ni, Se vs Si.

    I think you've already figured out that the MBTI profiles aren't supposed to be 100% accurate descriptions of people of each type. As to why I find some parts of INTP profiles unrelatable: Most people who know me IRL consider me a polite person, and I'm not one to hurl hurtful truths at people just for the sake of being honest. I'm not a fan of being "brutal" with truth; I would say that I prefer being tactful over being honest. This may not be related to type, but I don't swear or cuss a whole lot - generally I'm pretty soft-spoken. I can handle myself in social settings. I'm not emotionally retarded, am capable of feeling emotions strongly, and can (more often than not) successfully comfort those in distress. I don't push my T-solutions onto suffering people, and don't feel uncomfortable expressing my feelings and emotions (though I don't do it often, haha). I could go on, but I'll stop here for now.
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

    "Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

  5. #315
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,809

    Default

    @greenfairy

    Make a video, that's always fun. It most likely wont make much difference but it could help if you portray yourself as an archetype of what people seem to believe constitutes an INTP.

    So...monotone voice, not much body movement apart from the hands which will be used as visual aids to draw the idea for the viewer....there are probably more but since im only joking it doesn't matter. Oh yeah dont mention liking anything, because liking something is a preference of value and we all know thinkers dont have those....

    However putting the joke paragraph above to the side for a moment, a video could be interesting. Unless you have already done one somewhere and ive missed it, or you dont have the technology to make a video.

    One of the big problems with forums such as these is that you can pass yourself off as anything given enough time, information, practice and understanding.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  6. #316
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    @greenfairy

    Make a video, that's always fun. It most likely wont make much difference but it could help if you portray yourself as an archetype of what people seem to believe constitutes an INTP.

    So...monotone voice, not much body movement apart from the hands which will be used as visual aids to draw the idea for the viewer....there are probably more but since im only joking it doesn't matter. Oh yeah dont mention liking anything, because liking something is a preference of value and we all know thinkers dont have those....

    However putting the joke paragraph above to the side for a moment, a video could be interesting. Unless you have already done one somewhere and ive missed it, or you dont have the technology to make a video.

    One of the big problems with forums such as these is that you can pass yourself off as anything given enough time, information, practice and understanding.
    I shall! But at the present time I lack the technology. I have a video camera, but I have a lot studying and homework to do, and I have to go to work and socialize; so the chances I will have the time to figure out the camera and do the video any time in the near future are slim. Yeah, I'm not a techno wizard. -1 for INTP.

  7. #317
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I shall! But at the present time I lack the technology. I have a video camera, but I have a lot studying and homework to do, and I have to go to work and socialize; so the chances I will have the time to figure out the camera and do the video any time in the near future are slim. Yeah, I'm not a techno wizard. -1 for INTP.
    Well an aptitude with technology is a capability you aquire, I wouldnt say that being INTP would necessarily point you towards it. Possibly an INTP might pick it up quickly though. But id need to test that with someone born a long time before the modern technological era.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  8. #318
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by copperfish17 View Post
    Okay, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

    I decided not to curse you with a specific type 'cause I don't think I have enough information in my hands to do that. With the INFP vs INTJ thing - the former makes use of Ne and the latter, Ni. Ni would be foreign to an INFP (or an INTP; both INFPs and INTPs have auxillary Ne instead), as Ne would be foreign to an INTJ. INTJs' primary cognitive function is Ni - Ne, then, would automatically become their demonic (8th; least preferred) function.



    How did I decide on my type? I read a lot of in-depth material/threads on the cognitive functions, and discovered that how I process and express information aligns more with Ti rather than Te, Ne rather than Ni, Si rather than Se, and Fe rather than Fi. Spending a lot of time with my INTJ best friend (who prefers all the opposite functions) proved to be a rather enlightening experience actually; while we tended to agree on a lot of things and possessed very similar traits, (after butting heads several times in drawn-out, tedious debates) it became obvious to both of us that we didn't process information like each other at all. However, both of us could understand (with some effort) where the other person was coming from. I guess you could say that we learned to appreciate and respect each other's thought processes.

    To answer your second question: I don't think you're INTP because I don't think you reason along the lines of Ti logic/in the Ti mindset. I was able to observe Te-style thinking/logical procedures though. There really isn't much else I could say about this issue, as 1) I don't know you in person and 2) my only source of information on you is this thread, and you haven't expanded upon which cognitive functions you prefer with the following pairings: Ne vs Ni, Se vs Si.
    I went about it much the same way. I first looked at the descriptions, then at the cognitive functions. I didn't compare all of them, because it seemed unnecessary after awhile. I thought Ti seemed familiar and accurate for me, and Fi seemed confusing and problematic. Ne fits. Si fits. Inferior Fe fits more than inferior Te, and it made a lot more sense for Fi to be a shadow function than Ti. Fe seemed more accurate than Fi. Everything fit. Until I came here and people started saying otherwise. That's basically it in a nutshell.

    Now that you mention comparing all of the functions, I've been thinking about Ne vs. Ni and it seems kind of silly to think I'm Ni dominant. I do Ne all the time. Maybe more than anything. I have developed Ni it's true, and this helps facilitate type switching behavior by balancing opposing judging functions- but I definitely use Ne more than Ni.

  9. #319
    Senior Member copperfish17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I went about it much the same way. I first looked at the descriptions, then at the cognitive functions. I didn't compare all of them, because it seemed unnecessary after awhile.
    Er, okay. I think you should finish your homework then.
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

    "Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

  10. #320
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by copperfish17 View Post
    Er, okay. I think you should finish your homework then.
    Of course cognitive functions also run the risk of being intepreted on an individual level. I think what's needed more is an objective standard by which we can recognise them.

    There are some rough templates that most people can agree on to represent a function. Afterall they are contextual, they have to be in order to work at all as an explanation.

    Ive found over time that there appears to be a nice balance within theories like this. If you dont delve deep enough you run the risk of mistyping yourself because you didn't gather enough evidence. If you delve in too deep you end up over analysing each little facet of your perceived personality to the point that nothing means anything and anything can mean nothing.

    I only say this because it's something ive been thinking about for a while in regards to cognitive functions. There has to be a balance between the objective and subjective or else it's meaningless.

    I suppose the other problem is that any introvert function is going to be hard to define given that it is in the nature of introversion to present itself differently to each individual.

    Especially the introverted perceiving functions Si and Ni. Si for example is the very personification of personalised experience. Just as Fi is the personification of personalised value judgements so too is Ti the personification of individualised frameworks of internal logical consistancy and principal.

    So we can see the difficulty in typing, either by self or others.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] why do people with introverted intuition....?
    By chado in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-03-2016, 01:49 PM
  2. Why do people need identification with types?
    By hacbad macbar in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-15-2014, 09:55 AM
  3. why do I keep becoming friends with manipulative people?
    By prplchknz in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 09:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO