User Tag List

First 212930313233 Last

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

I dislike the sentence structure of the title.

Also, i'm slightly confused in regards to the OP, is this about issues arising from all types being self mis-reported or a general NT/NF conflict?

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

She wants to know why she gets yelled at when she claims to be a type she obviously* is not.

(arguably -- meaning it's "obvious" to others)

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

because people are dicks?

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Don't talk about the NTs that way. Some of my best friends are NTs.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Don't talk about the NTs that way. Some of my best friends are NTs.
    But doesnt that just make you a dick by association?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I can be kinda dickish sometimes.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

It is somewhat annoying when various people talk about their "four INFJ friends" or something like that. It's very unlikely that you, or anyone for that matter, has four friends who would type as INFJ. It's also unlikely that everyone in your family is an intuitive if there are four or more people in it; the numbers strongly lean toward someone being a sensor.

So it goes with the N/S divide in general. Intuitives aren't necessarily smarter or more talented than Sensors are. On the other hand, my suspicion is that intuitives tend to feel far more alienated than sensors do, even around other intuitives. With the F/T divide, I get the sense that it's more of a "grass is greener" thing than anything else. It's irritating because the person doesn't necessarily give the impression that he or she understands the downsides of that judging style, and just asserts that the positives apply.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    She wants to know why she gets yelled at when she claims to be a type she obviously* is not.

(arguably -- meaning it's "obvious" to others)
    No one can know what type I am, because typology is largely a bunch of nonsense. I fit being an introvert, I am definitely N, I prefer thinking and objectivity over feeling, and I am generally perceiving rather than judging. And I test as INTP. Simple. By the rules, I'm INTP, even if I'm like none other you have ever observed. I fit it enough. Get over it, everyone.

Typing is pretty much entirely subjective anyway, since it involves personality, which is an inner world, and self reporting of that inner world. There is no objective set of criteria to determine it. There is no objective reality of what each type is like. And there are multiple levels of error. So if someone types her/himself as something, then they are at that moment for all practical purposes. It really doesn't matter. They don't need to be put into a permanent category. People rarely fit into permanent categories. It's just a theory that there is some underlying personality type that never changes, but no one can prove it. People change radically all the time. And that produces type variation and ambiguity.

(I know I said before that I don't resist being categorized, but I changed my mind. It's a new way of looking at the world.)

And one more thing: these types are supposed to be used to better understand people. If I see myself in a certain type, then that's the side of myself I want to be understood at the moment. I want the characteristics, both the strengths and weaknesses of that type which I have to be understood by others. Declaring me another type defeats the purpose. I tell people in real life I'm INTP because I want to be treated like one, not like another type. For example, I want people to tell me the brutal truth rather than assuming I'm all sensitive and can't handle it. I want people to understand that my mind is analyzing things constantly and I can't shut it off without music or dance or conscious meditation, or sex. I want people to know that I like abstract theories, and that I have to understand the underlying principles of things for anything to make sense. I fit INTP enough to use it to help people better understand me, and that's pretty much the point.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

Well, you're still typing yourself based on which traits you like in people & how you want to be seen/treated by others. Which isn't the right way to type yourself, but at this point I should know that nothing will convince you that you aren't INTP (which seems to be everyone else's consensus though, sighhhh). I really don't understand how you could so... flippantly ignore golden (typing) advice from a number of wise members on this forum who now seem to have wasted their breaths.

I give up - crazy can't be reasoned with. Fool yourself if you so wish, but don't expect everyone else to be fooled.

It's funny that I probably relate less to the generic, flat INTP profiles on the interwebs than you claim to do. Oh well, I'm outta here.
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    It is somewhat annoying when various people talk about their "four INFJ friends" or something like that. It's very unlikely that you, or anyone for that matter, has four friends who would type as INFJ. It's also unlikely that everyone in your family is an intuitive if there are four or more people in it; the numbers strongly lean toward someone being a sensor.
    Of course I dont want to be one of those people who questions statistics and numbers just because he may or may not like it. After that statistics thread I found myself making peace with it in fact.

But I always find it intellectually dishonest to assume the accuracy of something when the subject of measurement is so intangible.

It could be true and I dont discount it at all, I merely ask people to question such absolutes once in a while and subject them to a bit of critical analysis.
    It could just be me getting caught up in the details, but when I see a statistic im always curious about it's validity, especially since we live in an age of 'news-statistics' that are often grossly misappropriated. Because of this I like to follow these numbers back and see how they were gathered in the first place, I like to see the process and judge for myself.

But once again I am not discounting, just questioning. Afterall there has to be some objective ledge for us to latch onto, otherwise we would never agree upon anything and all definitions would be rendered moot.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.