• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people have a problem with people mistyping themselves?

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
what AffirmitiveAnxiety said

Yeah, I agree with you.

To the OP: I'm sick and tired of this tedious debate that seems to be getting nowhere, and would like to inform you that I'm not interested in posting in either of your threads from now on. I wanted to drop out a while back; the only reason I kept replying to your posts was because you had questions that demanded my answer(s). No more of that, please - I've better things to do.

I wish you luck w/your typing journey, and this is goodbye.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I agree with you.

To the OP: I'm sick and tired of this tedious debate that seems to be getting nowhere, and would like to inform you that I'm not interested in posting in either of your threads from now on. I wanted to drop out a while back; the only reason I kept replying to your posts was because you had questions that demanded my answer(s). No more of that, please - I've better things to do.

I wish you luck w/your typing journey, and this is goodbye.
Alright, fine. Sorry if I've been irritating. I'm just frustrated that something that seems so obvious to me seems completely incorrect to so many other people. It's like I'm looking at something black and you're saying it's white. Maybe you and the others perceive it the same way. No matter. It is what it is. Thanks for conversing thus far.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can we all just agree for the sake of social harmony and efficiency that introverted thinking is subjective and differs with each person, and so my internal logic is just different from some other people's? Just because I think differently than another Ti user doesn't mean we don't use the same function. There have been a few INTP's who have said I seem a lot like them, and who don't think I've mistyped myself.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Probably the same reason people have a problem with people being wrong about anything. In other words, who the hell knows?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can we all just agree for the sake of social harmony and efficiency that introverted thinking is subjective and differs with each person, and so my internal logic is just different from some other people's? Just because I think differently than another Ti user doesn't mean we don't use the same function. There have been a few INTP's who have said I seem a lot like them, and who don't think I've mistyped myself.
No. Either it is, or it is not. We can agree for the sake of discussion, or agree to table it pending further research, or even agree to disagree. Determining factual truth on the basis of what leads to social harmony is dangerous. Even making a simplifying assumption for the sake of efficiency is not the same as agreeing something is true.

I nitpicked at this only because it is a good example of non-INTP-style thinking and arguing. My personal impression is that, while each function will manifest itself differently in each person, even people of the same type, there must be some common identifiable essence of that function at its core. Otherwise it is a different function at work.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No. Either it is, or it is not. We can agree for the sake of discussion, or agree to table it pending further research, or even agree to disagree. Determining factual truth on the basis of what leads to social harmony is dangerous. Even making a simplifying assumption for the sake of efficiency is not the same as agreeing something is true.

I nitpicked at this only because it is a good example of non-INTP-style thinking and arguing. My personal impression is that, while each function will manifest itself differently in each person, even people of the same type, there must be some common identifiable essence of that function at its core. Otherwise it is a different function at work.

Well yeah, I agree it has to be something as opposed to something else; but it is a fact that it is a subjective function. Which I think logically implies that it manifests in a slightly different way in each person.

@bolded: It may appear this way, but I don't think so. This is really a good example of what I say appearing like something else because I'm not being clear.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Probably the same reason people have a problem with people being wrong about anything. In other words, who the hell knows?

True enough, but my point is that "wrong" is debatable, and it's really not anyone's business. At this point I know enough about the functions that I am very confident I'm right, and people just don't see it because they don't know me in person. Pretty much everyone who knows me thinks I seem like more of a thinker. I've always felt like kind of the opposite of a feeler, even before I knew anything about typology. I know what I am, and I have logical reasoning for my opinion even if I can't spit it all out in a post because there's too much of it. Do you all really want to read a wall of text like 15 pages long? That's how detailed it is.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
True enough, but my point is that "wrong" is debatable, and it's really not anyone's business. At this point I know enough about the functions that I am very confident I'm right, and people just don't see it because they don't know me in person. Pretty much everyone who knows me thinks I seem like more of a thinker. I've always felt like kind of the opposite of a feeler, even before I knew anything about typology. I know what I am, and I have logical reasoning for my opinion even if I can't spit it all out in a post because there's too much of it. Do you all really want to read a wall of text like 15 pages long? That's how detailed it is.
I think whether you are actually wrong or not, or even whether or not "wrong" can be objectively measured is mostly irrelevant. To the person with a problem with it, they are right and you are wrong and who knows why they care so much.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think whether you are actually wrong or not, or even whether or not "wrong" can be objectively measured is mostly irrelevant. To the person with a problem with it, they are right and you are wrong and who knows why they care so much.

I guess. Some people just really like to think others are wrong and they are right. And the degree of importance varies from person to person.

*I on the other hand, cannot say for certain that I am right, or that others are wrong. I'm simply right about a few things, which I think imply others, which supports a general theory.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I guess. Some people just really like to think others are wrong and they are right. And the degree of importance varies from person to person.

*I on the other hand, cannot say for certain that I am right, or that others are wrong. I'm simply right about a few things, which I think imply others, which supports a general theory.

How do you know you're right about those things?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also I've observed that a few people have gotten angry or frustrated by the nature of our interactions, resulting in avoiding interaction with me. I'd like for this to not be the case, because I value social harmony. I don't know how to change this situation.

In my view I have expressed frustration, but not been outright rude or insulting. I have been a smart ass at times in response to what some people might perceive as hostility. I have argued and debated. I don't judge any of this to be inappropriate behavior, but my social skills are sometimes flawed.

Perhaps it would have been better to not express frustration. I've seen other people do it, so I judged it to be ok.

Perhaps I should have just ignored anything that sounded less than flattering and polite, but I've seen others behave in what I perceived to be similar ways and be (in my perception) received well. I thought it was fun. I wasn't sure how to effectively ignore it while continuing the discussion, so I judged it to be a more appropriate response than to try another approach and do it badly.

Finally, I have obstinately stood my ground and argued my opinion, and I plan to continue to do so for as long as I am on this site. Perhaps this is inappropriate social behavior, or I go about it in a way which is not well received. My view is that I am trying to have a civil debate on a topic about which there is disagreement. I want to be thorough in my knowledge and reasoning, so I ask questions and examine inconsistencies. In searching for the truth I question the validity of others' arguments. I remain unconvinced that my opinions are false. I judge this to be appropriate behavior, so the response I have gotten should be due to one or more of the following: 1) some people dislike prolonged argumentation 2) my style of debate is abrasive or otherwise unpleasant 3) like myself, other people become frustrated when disagreement remains after prolonged argumentation. As for the first possibility, my response is that after a certain point I attempted to drop the issue and was compelled to continue by others. As for the third, unfortunately that can't be helped. As for the second, I am open to learning how to more effectively interact.

I would like to contribute to a more pleasant experience for everyone. If you have respectful advice on how I am to do this, I will listen.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How do you know you're right about those things?

Do we need to get into a discussion of metaphysics? I don't really want to discuss everything I think I am right about and all the reasons why. I have sufficient reason to believe I am right about these things as much as any rational person could have. The only other possibility is that I am fundamentally not rational, which I believe to be incorrect based on experience and confirmation from others who know me.

I know by every means of arriving at truth.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Do we need to get into a discussion of metaphysics? I don't really want to discuss everything I think I am right about and all the reasons why. I have sufficient reason to believe I am right about these things as much as any rational person could have. The only other possibility is that I am fundamentally not rational, which I believe to be incorrect based on experience and confirmation from others who know me.

Gotcha.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also I've observed that a few people have gotten angry or frustrated by the nature of our interactions, resulting in avoiding interaction with me. I'd like for this to not be the case, because I value social harmony. I don't know how to change this situation.
Perhaps you should join in on this thread.

In my view I have expressed frustration, but not been outright rude or insulting. I have been a smart ass at times in response to what some people might perceive as hostility. I have argued and debated. I don't judge any of this to be inappropriate behavior, but my social skills are sometimes flawed.

Perhaps I should have just ignored anything that sounded less than flattering and polite, but I've seen others behave in what I perceived to be similar ways and be (in my perception) received well. I thought it was fun. I wasn't sure how to effectively ignore it while continuing the discussion, so I judged it to be a more appropriate response than to try another approach and do it badly.

I would like to contribute to a more pleasant experience for everyone. If you have respectful advice on how I am to do this, I will listen.
You are overthinking this. The truly rude, insulting, and insufferable don't even bother to ask these questions. There needs to be give and take on both sides. You should feel free to speak your mind, but should also expect others to do the same. Even remarks that appear insulting or flippant can contain worthwhile feedback, and may merit consideration or even reply. The key is to separate the wheat from the chaff, and address only that, without giving in to provocation.

If your priority is making a pleasant experience for everyone (Fe at work), forget debating and truth-seeking altogether and join a Kaffee-klatsch. If you prefer seeking the truth about yourself and others, or at least what will give you best results, don't waste energy pussyfooting around. Growth is more likely to come out of conflict than caucusing with yes-men. People may not agree with what you say, how you say it, or your reasoning behind it, but your social skills as demonstrated on the forum are no more "flawed" than those of many other members who (1) are well-received, and (2) don't beat themselves up over it.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Perhaps you should join in on this thread.

You are overthinking this. The truly rude, insulting, and insufferable don't even bother to ask these questions. There needs to be give and take on both sides. You should feel free to speak your mind, but should also expect others to do the same. Even remarks that appear insulting or flippant can contain worthwhile feedback, and may merit consideration or even reply. The key is to separate the wheat from the chaff, and address only that, without giving in to provocation.

If your priority is making a pleasant experience for everyone (Fe at work), forget debating and truth-seeking altogether and join a Kaffee-klatsch. If you prefer seeking the truth about yourself and others, or at least what will give you best results, don't waste energy pussyfooting around. Growth is more likely to come out of conflict than caucusing with yes-men. People may not agree with what you say, how you say it, or your reasoning behind it, but your social skills as demonstrated on the forum are no more "flawed" than those of many other members who (1) are well-received, and (2) don't beat themselves up over it.

Oh alright, good. If I'm not that unusual then it's probably ok. I thought maybe I was one of a few people on here who just didn't understand how to behave. But it's good to know this is normal. Ok, I can deal with conflict then. I'm not beating myself up over it, just trying to learn.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50

By the way, we're all fundamentally irrational. That's what makes it fun to be human.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Watch out [MENTION=15773]greenfairy[/MENTION] if you aren't careful you might have these nut jobs typing you by what you....SEEM to be.

*Shudders*