• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

An observation regarding N-types and their apparent abundance on the 1ntarw3bz.

Bear Warp

MBTI Type
epyT
You know what? That "no emotions" bit is from a discussion I read regarding sociopaths (not from this forum, I think it was on a World of Warcraft forum). I haven't seen any NT claim to have and enjoy some bastardized pseudo-sociopathy.

I think the "INTP and Sociopath" thread from this forum and the discussion which I mentioned from the WoW forum crossed paths and mixed in my head and then I tossed it into one of my posts. I'll edit that out, it's false.

But besides that...I can't speak for the entire INTP population, but I know I have emotions. I'm pretty sure that any human with a healthy brain will have some kind of emotions, both weak and strong. It's just a matter of trusting them, or using them, or following through with the impulses they create, or whatever etc etc.

Last edited:

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
You know what? That "no emotions" bit

I thought the "no emotions" thing was a joke the whole time. Hell, I even played along.

I didn't know people were actually serious about it.

Bear Warp

MBTI Type
epyT
I thought the "no emotions" thing was a joke the whole time. Hell, I even played along.

I didn't know people were actually serious about it.

Well, that kid from the WoW forum was. He was talking about how great it would be to be a sociopath. Nothing to bother you or hold you back, etc. Weirdo.

Ishida

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't like INTs claiming they have no emotions -- first of all, it's not advantageous at all, and second of all, it's just plain not true. NTs in general tend to use their heads when making final decisions (as opposed to the heart, tradition, or whims), and while that may end up with good outcomes, chance or flaws in decision-making can turn the outcomes bad. NTs definitely have emotions but they tend to ignore them in favor of what they perceive to be 'logical' -- if they get along, great, if they don't, well, that's just too bad for the NTs feelings. Too much ignoring can strand an NT up a river without a paddle, leading to such awful things like psychosomatic illnesses and states that they don't know how to get themselves out of because they have such little experience there.

And usually, INTJs (the real ones, at least) tend to feel a lot more emotional and idealistic than what generally shows. Some of them even like to fancy themselves friendly and are quite surprised when this is not how they're perceived by others. Dunno about INTPs, though.

Funny you mention that. People trying to put on a type mask, how they should act, how they should respond according to their type. Funny, because this stuff comes natural and the "We're so much better than everyone else" stuff seems so fake to me.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think it depends on the forum. I post on a few sports forums, and I think those are dominated by S type people. The music forums I read, I think it's fairly balanced, maybe slightly leaning to S. The Doctor Who forum does seem to be more like this one and loaded with N's, especially NT's, but I guess that's kind of a typical thing maybe, that NTs are more into sci-fi?

So, again, I think it depends on what the subject of the forum is. Yes, introverts are more likely to dominate forums because extroverts tend to want to be around people in person, rather than on the computer, but I think there's plenty of S's on internet forums, they just may not be on the ones you're looking at. ;)

MBTI Type
INxJ
Yes, introverts are more likely to dominate forums because extroverts tend to want to be around people in person, rather than on the computer, but I think there's plenty of S's on internet forums, they just may not be on the ones you're looking at. ;)

Solid point. I think it sincerely has to do with introverts finding a medium to communicate and share ideas with similar people easily, as opposed to awkwardly, in person. The other thing is, I don't think the type descriptions of NTs are particularly flattering. Sure they are bright, but it kind of stops there. Everything else sounds like neurotic idiosyncrasies. Why would anyone willingly want to be strange and misunderstood? Don't misunderstand me, I love my fellow rationals, but just think about it from that point of view. Emotionless robots? That's bollocks. From type descriptions alone, we don't sound like the kind of people anyone should 'aspire' to be.