First 1234 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Pod'lair View Post
    Personality can be defined in everything that I've outlined.

In the case you've provided, do you identify your understanding of this kind of personality as innate? Also, what do you mean by "ambivert"?

Are you referring to ones preference at a given time of day? In this case, I'm not sure I would identify this as a sort of "push and pull within the psyche".
    What have you outlined? Cognitive functions such as Ti are not personality. I can't break a personality down into itty-bitty cognitive functions without losing the personality.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    ISFP is not a type, it is a combination of two types, ISTP and ESFP
    My gut feeling here tells me that ISFP is as critical to the Myers-Briggs typology model as the charmed quark or the muon neutrino is to the standard model, or the element technetium is to the periodic table. No ISFP and the model falls apart.
    Cognitive functions:
    Fi (95%); Ti (90%); Ne (75%); Fe (60%); Ni (50%); Si (50%); Te (15%); Se (5%)

"INFP values but INTP skills" describes me best of all

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by zelo1954 View Post
    My gut feeling here tells me that ISFP is as critical to the Myers-Briggs typology model as the charmed quark or the muon neutrino is to the standard model, or the element technetium is to the periodic table. No ISFP and the model falls apart.
    The only thing holding the MBTI together is faith.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    LII

The only thing holding the MBTI together is faith.
    I think this is unfair. I'm sure most if not all people on this forum can see themselves fitting into the model. Most of us don't fit one type exclusively but stray into neighbouring types on the model. If there's anything wrong with it I'd say it's more a case of being incomplete rather than being wrong. 4 dimensions equates to 16 types. Someone smarter than we are may eventually suggest another dimension and develop the model further. A number of people on this forum come at the MBTI using function analysis. This imo further validates the model. Even Newtonian mechanics is incomplete but, hell, it's a pretty good approximation for the real world we live in. So is the MBTI imo.
    Cognitive functions:
    Fi (95%); Ti (90%); Ne (75%); Fe (60%); Ni (50%); Si (50%); Te (15%); Se (5%)

"INFP values but INTP skills" describes me best of all

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

ISFP is not a type, it is a combination of two types, ISTP and ESFP.
    That's nonsensical. The arbitrary model of typology is nothing without an even amount of 'types'. That and considering ISFP as not a type is . . . just silly. Couldn't then anyone say the exact same thing regarding ENFJ, ENTJ, ESTP, etc.?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    That's nonsensical. The arbitrary model of typology is nothing without an even amount of 'types'. That and considering ISFP as not a type is . . . just silly. Couldn't then anyone say the exact same thing regarding ENFJ, ENTJ, ESTP, etc.?
    I don't see any reason to say the same thing about those 3 types (not counting the etc). I've been considering the ISTJ as another possible candidate for elimination as a type, but that's the only other one. Because that's the only other type I've always considered an ambivert, a mixture of extraversion and introversion.

I think there is something funny about the isfp type. It seems like a catch all in typology systems.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by zelo1954 View Post
    I think this is unfair. I'm sure most if not all people on this forum can see themselves fitting into the model. Most of us don't fit one type exclusively but stray into neighbouring types on the model. If there's anything wrong with it I'd say it's more a case of being incomplete rather than being wrong. 4 dimensions equates to 16 types. Someone smarter than we are may eventually suggest another dimension and develop the model further. A number of people on this forum come at the MBTI using function analysis. This imo further validates the model. Even Newtonian mechanics is incomplete but, hell, it's a pretty good approximation for the real world we live in. So is the MBTI imo.
    It sucks to be a split type, but only if you hold the MBTI model sacred. It also sucks to be the type of person I've seen in real life: one who is in a quandary due to being split between two very different motives and having to decide between them.

If there is more explanatory power, even healing power, in revealing this dichotomy, then I think that's more than fair.

I'm not seeing this in terms of functions, that's just an assumption-based model for the MBTI. It assumes that the P or J in a type comes from the ordering of functions, for example, that the Ni/Te type has to pursue J-closure. It also breaks down where I see the ESFP/ISTP division in terms of Se/Ti, because the resulting type is more than a combination of its functions. IOW, ESFP is not equal to Se+Fi. Yet the ISFP comes across as a divided type, as if two dominant personalities, not functions, are present in the psyche.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Cool.
    "To find beauty in loss, hope in darkness."

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I think there is something funny about the isfp type. It seems like a catch all in typology systems.
    I agree, and I think this might be why I formally tested as ISFP.