• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

DAMN IT! I WANT TO HEAR FE USERS TALK ABOUT THEIR FE!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I see it less as rude and more of oblivious.

I think people ought to be able to pick up on what their friends need. I'm not naturally communicative on a fe way but I know how to show appreciation or do things that make them feel valued etc.

It's not even about knowing mbti. It's just about knowing people and their sensitivities. I have an infj mom... I think I picked up pretty early how she was Reading a situation.

So yeah I feel like I can see both sides of it.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION]: do you think this could be related more to being so-dom?

I think you have a point here. Some of the things fidelia mentioned didn't really seem like Fi to me - more like introverted/shy/self-pres/poor social skills or something along those lines. I'm thinking in particular about the conversation and the being grumpy thing.

Some of them did seem bang-on, though - the "tap on/off thing" is something I've seen in many Fi users, and it's always been something I've found bewildering. As a somewhat extreme anecdote,

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
Other than the possibility of SO-dom being the reason Fi-users feel they are Fe-users, are there any other scenarios that might account for this?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your values could be centered around a lot of the same things one would consider the realm of fe ??

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Other than the possibility of SO-dom being the reason Fi-users feel they are Fe-users, are there any other scenarios that might account for this?

I've always mused over the notion of an Fi-user actually holding Fi values that mirrored what Fe is more about. :shrug:

In fact when I still lived in MN, there was an INFP from this site who I was acquainted with, and he stated he felt he was more of an Fe-ish INFP for that very reason.

edit: lol... [MENTION=5418]Lady X[/MENTION] beat me to it. :)

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[Posting this now while catching up, so apologies for redundancies.]

Over time, I've realized that Fi users care passionately and deeply about a select few people in their lives and would do just about anything for them. Fe users care more generally and diffusely about a wider scope of people. That is not to say that I don't have levels of care, depending on how close someone is to me, but it's not a tap that is just turned on or off. As a Fe user, Fi's care can sometimes seem over the top or else non-existent. I'm sure that to a Fi user, Fe care seems kind of superficial and sometimes nosy.

To a Fe user, actions are really the evidence of care. Therefore a Fi user deciding they don't feel like attending a family function, even if it matters a lot to you, or them not acknowledging a person's efforts even if they feel a little invasive (or at least suggesting an alternative action that would be better) often is interpreted as a lack of care for the person or else immaturity/selfishness. Stony silence or grumpiness in the morning simply because the Fi user had to get up seems rather selfish (because those cues and attitudes convey to the group or to the Fe user that they are somehow responsible and should be doing something). Not responding when someone talks to you or acknowledging their presence in some way is taken as something deliberate, when it fact I've discovered that it is not intended in that way at all. To Fe, this is confusing, because if you follow Fe rules, you generally always know when someone is upset and then take measures to negotiate fixing it. With Fi, there appears to be no way to know and a Fe user has a much harder time just shrugging their shoulders to what feels like a personal accusation (or failing that extreme selfishness! - are you noticing a pattern here?)

Again, very little is neutral to Fe. Every action, comment, look, bit of body language is usually a cue that all is well (appreciation is being shown in some way) or that all is not well (and people pick up on it and try to adjust things so more people can feel happy with the situation). When the Fe user feels they are making these adjustments for the Fi user, but it is not being reciprocated, they can also become resentful (while the Fi user wonders what on earth is wrong, or else leaves the person alone to work it out - which is further interpreted as not caring!)

It wouldn't occur to most Fe users that a card detailing their appreciation for the Fi user and what qualities they appreciate about Fi user would be seen as an awkward present (because for the Fe user that would be about the best thing they could get!). This can even discourage the Fe user, because they are really not sure how to show appreciation (something they really need themselves) in any of the conventional ways they are used to doing. (I've found Fi people often seem put on the spot by compliments or public recognition too).

I kinda want to step in and add a little bit of this feels somewhat instinct variant related. [edit to add: I’ve just noticed PB has mentioned this too.] Some of it resonates, but a lot of it seems ‘so variant’ flavored to me. For instance- I relate to ‘action’ being evidence of care. But something like a family function- I’m going to guess there’s inherently more value in that to an ‘so variant’ than there would be to me (least ‘so variant’), and therefore it feels like less of an overall burden to ‘so doms’.

I think as a least ‘so variant’ Fe’er, I can seem callous about the ‘importance’ of my participation in some things (as support, or…whatever) for simply not directly understanding what ‘so variants’ place importance on. When I look back on a past relationship- the other person (let’s say, ‘Pat’) expressed frustration with me sometimes because I hated going to weddings or social events just as a ‘girlfriend’- it made me feel like some kind of bizarre fashion accessory or something, because (in regard to certain events) I knew that I didn’t especially get along with certain people and didn’t understand why Pat would feel a need for me to go knowing that I’d be wanting to leave from the moment we arrived. I would never have expected that of Pat, it would even feel really selfish of me to expect that- but then that in itself was also a problem because Pat interpreted this as ‘me being embarrassed of Pat’ when I didn’t expect Pat to come along. Back at the time, my reaction was something like “But you don’t even like this friend! You can never get enough of telling me how much you don’t like this friend- so WHY WHY WHY would it bother you that I assumed you wouldn’t want to go?!?” Stuff like that came up all the time- and in retrospect, I think a lot of it was about me being least ‘so variant’ and having no clue why certain things were important (and reciprocally- I think it was hard for ‘Pat’, probably, to understand the cost of superfluous social activity to me). Both ends looked selfish to the other because neither directly understood or could empathize with the others’ cost or priorities (by ‘cost’, I mean the negative affect caused).

BUT! I do relate to instinctively thinking cues demand some sort of action. If someone expresses disdain- even just with an annoyed glance- at something I’m doing, I hear “please stop.” And it seems like what I’ve heard from Fi’ers in this forum is that it’s annoying, because only ‘please stop” means “please stop.” But then I feel rude actually saying “please stop” to someone myself, so it’s kind of a catch-22. And also- for example- if someone comes in and sits down next to me, clearly grumpy and agitated about something, I am going to feel obligated to do something. Unless I know this person and understand from previous experience that they want to be left alone with their feelings and trying to help will only agitate them more, I’ll feel like I’m as good as slapping them in the face if I ignore the cues.

And you're saying it feels like we an just turn on or off our concern for others?

No, it's not the your concern with the same person gets turned on or off, but rather the tap is on full blast for a select few, and completely off for many more. Fe feels more comfortable with halfway on for a wider range of people, with the flow of concern adjusted to the situation.

And this, specifically, I’m thinking may apply more to ‘so dominant’. It very much seems to me like ‘so dominants’ spread their attention over a wider range of people, whereas what ‘makes more sense’ to me personally is turning it on full blast with only a few people.

[edit to add] Although! It's worth mentioning that I have noticed with some FPs I know- regardless of whether the focus of people is large or small- Fi users seem a bit less consistent to me. Something that would warrant concern one day might not warrant concern the next, and that confuses me. I gather that- for them- it's all about expressing or showing how much they're feeling at that particular moment (?, or something, I don't really get it). But to me it's confusing. It's like expecting me to find value in using a ruler, but changing what the actual distance of an 'inch' is on a whim. (And as always, worth mentioning: it's NOT my experience of every FP, only a few of them.)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[Posting this now while catching up, so apologies for redundancies.]

I kinda want to step in and add a little bit of this feels somewhat instinct variant related. [edit to add: I’ve just noticed PB has mentioned this too.] Some of it resonates, but a lot of it seems ‘so variant’ flavored to me. For instance- I relate to ‘action’ being evidence of care. But something like a family function- I’m going to guess there’s inherently more value in that to an ‘so variant’ than there would be to me (least ‘so variant’), and therefore it feels like less of an overall burden to ‘so doms’.

I think as a least ‘so variant’ Fe’er, I can seem callous about the ‘importance’ of my participation in some things (as support, or…whatever) for simply not directly understanding what ‘so variants’ place importance on. When I look back on a past relationship- the other person (let’s say, ‘Pat’) expressed frustration with me sometimes because I hated going to weddings or social events just as a ‘girlfriend’- it made me feel like some kind of bizarre fashion accessory or something, because (in regard to certain events) I knew that I didn’t especially get along with certain people and didn’t understand why Pat would feel a need for me to go knowing that I’d be wanting to leave from the moment we arrived. I would never have expected that of Pat, it would even feel really selfish of me to expect that- but then that in itself was also a problem because Pat interpreted this as ‘me being embarrassed of Pat’ when I didn’t expect Pat to come along. Back at the time, my reaction was something like “But you don’t even like this friend! You can never get enough of telling me how much you don’t like this friend- so WHY WHY WHY would it bother you that I assumed you wouldn’t want to go?!?” Stuff like that came up all the time- and in retrospect, I think a lot of it was about me being least ‘so variant’ and having no clue why certain things were important (and reciprocally- I think it was hard for ‘Pat’, probably, to understand the cost of superfluous social activity to me). Both ends looked selfish to the other because neither directly understood or could empathize with the others’ cost or priorities (by ‘cost’, I mean the negative affect caused).

BUT! I do relate to instinctively thinking cues demand some sort of action. If someone expresses disdain- even just with an annoyed glance- at something I’m doing, I hear “please stop.” And it seems like what I’ve heard from Fi’ers in this forum is that it’s annoying, because only ‘please stop” means “please stop.” But then I feel rude actually saying “please stop” to someone myself, so it’s kind of a catch-22. And also- for example- if someone comes in and sits down next to me, clearly grumpy and agitated about something, I am going to feel obligated to do something. Unless I know this person and understand from previous experience that they want to be left alone with their feelings and trying to help will only agitate them more, I’ll feel like I’m as good as slapping them in the face if I ignore the cues.

And this, specifically, I’m thinking may apply more to ‘so dominant’. It very much seems to me like ‘so dominants’ spread their attention over a wider range of people, whereas what ‘makes more sense’ to me personally is turning it on full blast with only a few people.

i feel similarly to this.

and...please stop can be said with a look in my world for sure...and grumpiness can mean they're mad at me...or because they have to do something they don't want or they're tired etc

i'm not saying those things don't mean anything to me...only that i don't feel responsible for them.
you can feel however you want
i can choose to accommodate you or leave you alone...but i do not feel obligated to do so anymore than i want you to feel obligated to stop

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm not saying those things don't mean anything to me...only that i don't feel responsible for them.
you can feel however you want
i can choose to accommodate you or leave you alone...but i do not feel obligated to do so anymore than i want you to feel obligated to stop

See, this is something I assess on a very case-by-case basis. I can pick up on when someone only feels agitated- if I feel 'obligated' to fix their feelings- and so I only feel that 'obligation' where I sense people expect me to feel that obligation. And frankly, sometimes I sense people expect me to feel more obligated than I'm comfortable with, so I might end up avoiding that person where/when I can. But my point is- I totally get this, and what Tilty said about it. Once I understand a person just wants to be left with their feelings, I have no problem with that.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
See, this is something I assess on a very case-by-case basis. I can pick up on when someone only feels agitated- if I feel 'obligated' to fix their feelings- and so I only feel that 'obligation' where I sense people expect me to feel that obligation. And frankly, sometimes I sense people expect me to feel more obligated than I'm comfortable with, so I might end up avoiding that person where/when I can. But my point is- I totally get this, and what Tilty said about it. Once I understand a person just wants to be left with their feelings, I have no problem with that.

I also feel like I usually know if it's someone who wants me to leave them alone, or someone who might appreciate me checking in. So I guess I try to tailor to what I think they actually want/need, based on who they are.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I also feel like I usually know if it's someone who wants me to leave them alone, or someone who might appreciate me checking in. So I guess I try to tailor to what I think they actually want/need, based on who they are.

Yes totally me too!

Interesting! What's your instinctual sacking?

frezekiel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm often torn between being individualistic and honoring social expectations.

When I'm in top form, I find a way to maintain both at the same time, but when one needs to be sacrificed its always social expectations that gets the axe.

This usually comes in the form of being quiet and withdrawn in social situations, or exempting myself from social situations altogether....or even cutting people out of my life suddenly.
It can also come out in being uncharacteristically loud and overbearing about my feelings/opinions/expectations, etc. at times.

I think it's important to note that Fe is not always about expressing warmth but also expressing displeasure! (see the quote below)

In a nutshell, I guess I experience Fe as you would expect an INFJ to--as of secondary importance to inhabiting my inner world of reflection and imagination.

I was gonna try to give a highly personalized response to the OP, but I just don't think I can improve on this definition at all:

Extraverted Feeling* - (Fe)

The process of extraverted Feeling often involves a desire to connect with (or disconnect from) others and is often evidenced by expressions of warmth (or displeasure) and self-disclosure.

The "social graces," such as being polite, being nice, being friendly, being considerate, and being appropriate, often revolve around the process of extraverted Feeling.

Keeping in touch, laughing at jokes when others laugh, and trying to get people to act kindly to each other also involve extraverted Feeling.

Using this process, we respond according to expressed or even unexpressed wants and needs of others.

We may ask people what they want or need or self-disclose to prompt them to talk more about themselves.

This often sparks conversation and lets us know more about them so we can better adjust our behavior to them.

Often with this process, we feel pulled to be responsible and take care of others' feelings, sometimes to the point of not separating our feelings from theirs.

We may recognize and adhere to shared values, feelings, and social norms to get along.

*Adapted from Linda V. Berens and Dario Nardi, Understanding Yourself and Others: An Introduction to the Personality Type Code (Used with permission)

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Your values could be centered around a lot of the same things one would consider the realm of fe ??

I think both of those are possibilities. The other possibility is a functional model like Wilde's, that gives results such that if someone is extremely F (for example), but only moderately J/P, they might have both Fe and Fi in their top 4 functions.

[edit to add] Although! It's worth mentioning that I have noticed with some FPs I know- regardless of whether the focus of people is large or small- Fi users seem a bit less consistent to me. Something that would warrant concern one day might not warrant concern the next, and that confuses me. I gather that- for them- it's all about expressing or showing how much they're feeling at that particular moment (?, or something, I don't really get it). But to me it's confusing. It's like expecting me to find value in using a ruler, but changing what the actual distance of an 'inch' is on a whim. (And as always, worth mentioning: it's NOT my experience of every FP, only a few of them.)

Keep in mind that Fi is all about tuning things for a set of specifics (just like Ti is). Therefore, cross-contextual external consistently is simply less of a priority. It also doesn't help that Fi is about optimizing based on internal values which can't even be externalized or communicated easily. As a result, it can look very inconsistent from the outside.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Hmm...interesting. I've had trouble from family members with this. I find myself reacting poorly when someone tries to 'fix' my feelings. Only knowing that they mean well keeps me from going off. Sometimes it didn't help because they insisted they were going to make me feel better and would become upset when I didn't appreciate their efforts or want their comfort. I don't like to be pushed out of whatever I'm feeling at that moment...it needs to go away on its own or I need time to work my way out of it. Occasionally, I may seek comfort or better yet, a "what do you think?" kind of feedback. So, if I'm grumpy in the morning (or any other time), just leave me alone until I'm better. Asking for feedback is even trickier. I almost always end up wishing that I had kept quiet. It's usually because I feel misunderstood and figure that such things belong inside of me.

I do notice other people's upset, bad moods, or distress. My first reaction is to try and shield myself from it. Second reaction is to give them space. I don't know what else to do. I can and have responded to people in distress but it's not my usual response and it's unlikely to last long. Wanting to help usually comes in the form of "this is what you need to do...." and that often is exactly what someone in distress or a bad mood does not wants to hear (ha...it's often out of my mouth before I can clamp down). I am much more likely to offer emotional comfort to my children (and even then it can be hard). I find it very difficult to do with other people...it just takes so much energy.

:cry: <----Why couldn't I find the one blowing its nose?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.
~Oscar Wilde

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I have a theory that Fe users might be fundamentally unable to relate to Sylvia Plath. Even if they appreciate her skill.

What do you think?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a theory that Fe users might be fundamentally unable to relate to Sylvia Plath. Even if they appreciate her skill.

What do you think?

Depends on whether you're talking about her poetry or The Bell Jar. I appreciated The Bell Jar. I really did not feel her poetry, meaning I didn't like it, until I was well into adulthood, and even now, it's not what I'd prefer to read.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=15773]greenfairy[/MENTION]

Okay looks like everyone agrees on the "energy sense". That's good.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=15773]greenfairy[/MENTION]

Okay looks like everyone agrees on the "energy sense". That's good.

Sorry, I haven't read about 15 pages of thread; do you mean just you and I, or has there been a general agreement among Fe users?

I think a lot of my Fe coincides with Se. Opening the valve on Se eventually leads to some Fe loosening up. Not quite social butterly, but it's a more social and active mode overall. I don't want to always proceed though. Usually my first inclination is weighing whether anything or anyone is worth my time. People who demand too much get grumbling or some fighting. So I'm not the greatest person to represent much Fe. I just know I have it because there's an ETP side, and a side that cares what other's think. And a side that has successfully manipulated it too. I just want to silence it most of the time.

edit: I should add that a lot of what I might be sympathetic towards Fi (on moral issues) is borrowed from my religious beliefs. I can't say it's "an internal value system". I have a value system on loan...one that I don't totally believe in. And I can discuss it clearly rather than be ambiguous or mysterious or highly personal like Fi. I wish I could believe more strongly, but my mind has a way of tearing things apart. Then I'm back to almost square one. I hold to the important bits though. Some things are worth believing, some things inspire empathy.

Regarding inferior Fe and value systems: would you say you have a good sense of empathy and that your conscience is based on it? As in you know something is unethical because you can sense it when a being is harmed by an action? I'm, trying to distinguish the difference between Fe and Fi here; I have a strong sense of empathy in a kind of energy sensing psychic sense; I feel others' emotions, but I often don't know exactly how to respond (or if I should). This is how I form my sense of ethics; if I sense that beings collectively are harmed in situations as a consequence of actions and conditions, I deem those actions and conditions to be generally unfavorable and I try to avoid participating in them. I also intellectualize it a bit and find logical reasons why it makes sense to behave in certain ways.

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
Can Fi seem like Fe when Fi's personal values include social harmony??