• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

DAMN IT! I WANT TO HEAR FI USERS EXPRESS THEIR FEELINGS!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Alright, that's it. Stop acting like you know what you're talking about. Actually read up on the topic before you make any sort of claim. Every time you post, it's based on something misinformed.

I don't know what it is but intps seem pretty emotional to me. Actually so do entps.

Elfa

Señora Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Whaat?? Come on man fi users care how others feel.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say Fi users don't care about how other people feel! ><
I had to go dinner, so I just sent the post without putting too much thought on it.

Let's see...
I might not appear very Fi in the sense that I say some things are "unecessary" - if saying that is really related to being Fe or Fi.
I say something was "unecessary" because I usually care about how other people feel, and I think saying/doing some stuff and hurting people in the process is "unecessary" - and I know Fi users are very capable of caring about people. :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sure I get it. I've said it to for the same reason. I've also felt the opposite of hey listen I don't give a fick if you think it was necessary! I didn't say it for your benefit!!

Ya know? So I was just saying I got it.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So, for me, I'm pretty much continually aware of my emotional state. It's like an emotional barometer, whose state I am continually aware of as I go through my day. A sudden change always means something: even if that change of state is not ultimately rational, it always has a cause worth understanding.

Plus, my emotional state is pretty much never a single thing. I'm generally not just "happy" or "sad" or "upset". Typically, I'm in some multi-layered, mixed state. At the moment, for example, I'm a little bit tired from a long day, a little keyed up and exhausted from conflict at work, mostly content with what I got done today (although I feel a little guilty that it was less than I had wanted), a little guilty because I should have been more appreciative of the dinner my partner cooked, etc, etc.

Generally, I have a conscious awareness of my emotional state and a fairly accurate model of what effects it. If my emotional state deviates more than a little from that model, that's something the deserves attention. Generally, I have a fair amount of influence over my emotional state, but it's never direct control about what I feel. I can choose what to feed and what to ignore, what to put aside and what to attend to... but there are limits, always.

Over time, I've learned not to confuse low blood sugar with despondency or depression, a feeling of failure with social exhaustion, or personal upset with a reaction to the state of those near me.

Unlike an Fe-user (I think), I tend to be tuned into the state of individuals, and less so to the state of a group or roles in a group dynamic. It's like each person has a separate emotional state, which must be modeled, tracked, and empathized with individually.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes absolutely to that last paragraph.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The more strongly I feel an emotion, the more I have to analyze my reaction to understand the emotion.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
so difficult to put into words...truly it is.
but i'll try...imagine for a moment that i have been to heaven and back and i have seen and felt the truth. i know with every thing that i am what love is...i know how utterly sacred the human spirit is.
and here i am walking around with this knowing...this knowing of the value of each individual...and what rights we each have to experience all the depth of beauty this life has to offer...so when i see someone step on that right...or attempt to take it from another...it hurts my heart...truly pains it. not in some slight way but in a blasphemous deep deep hurt...like they are going against all that is right...all that should be and all that each individual deserves. it is a sense of knowing something is wrong by emphatically feeling what it does to others...if it causes hurt to you...if it in anyway takes away your inherent rights. it is wrong.
i feel that the individual spirit is sacred and should be protected at all costs.
i feel my way through the world...i experience the world not only through the sights and sounds but the feeling impressions that i encounter throughout the day. i am terribly nostalgic and idealistic and my thoughts wander like that of a child playing make believe...so how i feel is often determined by what i'm imagining at the time....certain activities/places can be enjoyable because maybe it reminds me of a beautiful scene in a movie i saw once...or a favorite memory...or whatever place my mind has wandered off to
related a lot to the last paragraph

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fi emotions or Fi values? I agree with [MENTION=13402]Saturned[/MENTION], the feelings Fi-users have are just human feelings: sorrow, joy, jealousy, etc. The values are maybe more of an internal code of ethics, sort of "this is how I live my life based on what's important" sort of thing.

How is this different from Fe though? Doesn't everyone live according to what they feel is important? Any judging function would do this. (Side note, I'm not annoyed, just asking questions and thinking.) Maybe Fe would place importance according to relation in a group, Fi would relate everything to the self and their personal response to the world, Te would place importance on impersonal standards, and Ti on whether things make sense logically. I think everyone uses all of these, just each type in its own general order that they use most of the time. Like Ti dominant could have a value system, and personal reactions, they would just have to go through the T filter before they are applied to the world and become final judgments, because Ti is the center of operation, and where the psyche will always return for consistency. (Except int he case of being in the grip of inferior Fe, in which case T loses control, and then regrets it later.)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK_6c1PkWO0"]ok i'd probably puke if i actually felt this way.[/YOUTUBE]

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Feelers try to rationalise/understand their emotions.

Thinkers let them creep up on them.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Values are pretty much the best way to sum up Fi. There's little to know what Fi cognition is, but why we value something is da game, yo

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Alright, time for a more constructive post. I can't describe Fi half as beautifully as the other members, but perhaps I can explain it in a simple way that's easy to understand. Imagine if you're really hungry at a restaurant, and finally, your favorite meal arrives at your table. Your body says 'oh yum! This is gonna be great!'. Now imagine something that really grosses you out. It can just be something from Saw or something that makes you feel repulsed.

This feeling is basically how Fi is. We get a strong feeling - a chemical reaction within our body that either says 'I really like this' or 'man I don't like this at all'. Whenever we react with Fi, we get this reaction in our body that's instantaneous. Now, note that this feeling is by nature, private. You will never feel exactly the same way I do, nor do I always want to share how I feel. Fi is hence these feelings of 'I really like this' or 'I don't like this at all' as a collection or internal system. For example, to me as an Fi user, the moral claim 'betraying a friend is morally wrong' is very much connected to the proposition 'I feel icky and angry when I see someone betraying their friend'.

Sometimes, I don't want people to know that I'm upset. There are several reasons for this, perhaps I don't want to offend other people, or maybe I just want other people to think of me as being tough. Whatever the reason is, these feelings often get bogged down because they were left unexpressed. Of course, that does not mean that these feelings just go away, so Fi can explode like a time bomb.

PS. Sorry, forgot to tie it back into the OP. The way I read Fi is that I assume Fi users will never express everything. You have to keep an eye out for that. If this person is acting different, perhaps you can tell that they want to say something but isn't sure if they should say it, you know there's something boiling up inside. You can guess what they're feeling through the context of the situation.

Elfa

Señora Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
So, for me, I'm pretty much continually aware of my emotional state. It's like an emotional barometer, whose state I am continually aware of as I go through my day. A sudden change always means something: even if that change of state is not ultimately rational, it always has a cause worth understanding.

Plus, my emotional state is pretty much never a single thing. I'm generally not just "happy" or "sad" or "upset". Typically, I'm in some multi-layered, mixed state. At the moment, for example, I'm a little bit tired from a long day, a little keyed up and exhausted from conflict at work, mostly content with what I got done today (although I feel a little guilty that it was less than I had wanted), a little guilty because I should have been more appreciative of the dinner my partner cooked, etc, etc.

Generally, I have a conscious awareness of my emotional state and a fairly accurate model of what effects it. If my emotional state deviates more than a little from that model, that's something the deserves attention. Generally, I have a fair amount of influence over my emotional state, but it's never direct control about what I feel. I can choose what to feed and what to ignore, what to put aside and what to attend to... but there are limits, always.

Over time, I've learned not to confuse low blood sugar with despondency or depression, a feeling of failure with social exhaustion, or personal upset with a reaction to the state of those near me.

Unlike an Fe-user (I think), I tend to be tuned into the state of individuals, and less so to the state of a group or roles in a group dynamic. It's like each person has a separate emotional state, which must be modeled, tracked, and empathized with individually.

Oh, this is very spot on for my case! :)

I've not related to almost anything in this thread but for this. :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Alright, time for a more constructive post. I can't describe Fi half as beautifully as the other members, but perhaps I can explain it in a simple way that's easy to understand. Imagine if you're really hungry at a restaurant, and finally, your favorite meal arrives at your table. Your body says 'oh yum! This is gonna be great!'. Now imagine something that really grosses you out. It can just be something from Saw or something that makes you feel repulsed.

This feeling is basically how Fi is. We get a strong feeling - a chemical reaction within our body that either says 'I really like this' or 'man I don't like this at all'. Whenever we react with Fi, we get this reaction in our body that's instantaneous. Now, note that this feeling is by nature, private. You will never feel exactly the same way I do, nor do I always want to share how I feel. Fi is hence these feelings of 'I really like this' or 'I don't like this at all' as a collection or internal system. For example, to me as an Fi user, the moral claim 'betraying a friend is morally wrong' is very much connected to the proposition 'I feel icky and angry when I see someone betraying their friend'.

Sometimes, I don't want people to know that I'm upset. There are several reasons for this, perhaps I don't want to offend other people, or maybe I just want other people to think of me as being tough. Whatever the reason is, these feelings often get bogged down because they were left unexpressed. Of course, that does not mean that these feelings just go away, so Fi can explode like a time bomb.

PS. Sorry, forgot to tie it back into the OP. The way I read Fi is that I assume Fi users will never express everything. You have to keep an eye out for that. If this person is acting different, perhaps you can tell that they want to say something but isn't sure if they should say it, you know there's something boiling up inside. You can guess what they're feeling through the context of the situation.

yes...and i'll just add that some things are often kept in because we feel like that's our shit that we have to deal with and it's not fair of us to put it on you.

somethings can even feel awful without me knowing why they feel awful and i need time to dissect before discussing it.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I thought of a way to approach this and explain what it's like. I was just flicking channels and this song (which I happen to love) was playing on MTV:

To me this song exemplifies Fi thought and feeling processes. Gotye seems to me to be a IXFP based on his behaviour in interviews (and Kimbra, would have to be a EXFP), however his lyrics and performance of the song particularly demonstrate a Fi inner world - not just the way the people in the song think and feel, but in the way Gotye tries to evoke specific reactions in the listener. It's so conflicted, reflective, passionate, raw, contradictory, complex, deceptive, skeptical, confronting, self-aware, and so entirely immersed in the world of intense feeling tones.

The layered, contradictory nature of feeling is perhaps the most revealling aspect - not so much the fact that he feels contradictory emotions but just how aware of them he is, how forceful they are, and how willingly he tackles them and their implications.

The guy seems to be happy and relieved the relationship is over, but yet appears to be mourning the loss of it; he loved her and idealised her, yet felt desperately lonely at the same time; he's forgiving, and yet bitter; he's at peace with it, indifferent even, and yet incredibly hurt and angry.

The thing is, Gotye takes this even further by providing her point of view. He makes you feel sorry for the guy and wonder about the awful things she did to him, then undermines that belief and makes you doubt it. The girl makes it seem like he was distant, cryptic and blamed her for their problems. It makes you think back to the first verses and you see his feelings, and the likely external manifestation of them, in a new light. You begin to suspect he might have been the source of the problem.

But again Gotye takes it further. The chorus takes on new meaning this time round; now he seems to admit some blame, that he wasn't perfect, but yet he remains defiant; in spite of his mistakes she didn't need to treat him so badly afterward. And, "fair enough", the listener thinks. But again Gotye challenges him. She sings back at him; after all he had cut her off too, all through the relationship. At the end, you get a sense of pain, guilt and loss in both of them - it's a complete emotional journey within just a few minutes.

So I suppose what I'm trying to show is the layered and conflicting nature of those emotions. It can be like disappearing down a rabbit hole that gets deeper and more convoluted as you go. So you see why it can be so hard to express this - how can you communicate that complexity clearly and succinctly without compromising the very heart of it? And it gets even harder when there literally doesn't seem to be a word that encompasses a very specific feeling you are experiencing.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
beautiful explanation. <3

W

WALMART

Fi... Fi... Fi...

I think I might catch a whiff of it, from time to time. Luckily, there are so many other important things to think about.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
also they seem totally infp/enfp

and omg how infp is the line you can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness