User Tag List

First 111920212223 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    i'd assume so, i never thought it was specific to any cognitive function.
    I'm sorry to annoy you folks. It's just that @Elfboy described his Fi almost like the sonar that a bat uses: he literally sends out signals and gets messages back as to how he feels about things. I was wondering if all Fi users did this?

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Explain please.
    Well, I get the impression you are thinking it is something like navel gazing. But it is more like Ti with more of a tendency to focus on the emotional elements.

I'm sorry to annoy you folks. It's just that @Elfboy described his Fi almost like the sonar that a bat uses: he literally sends out signals and gets messages back as to how he feels about things. I was wondering if all Fi users did this?
    I don't think so. Sounds like an extrovert's use of the introverted function or perhaps the use of NeFi. For me the sonar works the other way. Information goes in, finds its own storage place in my mind and the Fi evaluates it and casts judgment. The sonar would be used on me only, trying to determine the contents of my mind and heart as if it were perhaps a cave. Then I work it through the thinking stage.

I hope this makes more sense than last time. Fi really isn't that complex or complicated a function IMO. It becomes more confounding than anything because we can't articulate it that easily.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Well, I get the impression you are thinking it is something like navel gazing. But it is more like Ti with more of a tendency to focus on the emotional elements.
    Yeah that makes a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    I don't think so. Sounds like an extrovert's use of the introverted function or perhaps the use of NeFi. For me the sonar works the other way. Information goes in, finds its own storage place in my mind and the Fi evaluates it and casts judgment. The sonar would be used on me only, trying to determine the contents of my mind and heart as if it were perhaps a cave. Then I work it through the thinking stage.

I hope this makes more sense than last time. Fi really isn't that complex or complicated a function IMO. It becomes more confounding than anything because we can't articulate it that easily.
    So then, Fi just works for a filter for you? Is that what you are saying?

Yeah that makes a lot more sense.
    I should have added, human elements too.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, it would sound strange and cryptic. Haha. I have a hard time expressing my emotions when I'm talking to someone. It is as if something is blocking the words from entering my mind. I get a "duuurrrrr" feeling and just shut up. However, I can write about my emotions...

Here is my blog. Perhaps this will help you. In fact, this is my therapy blog, where I am divulging my innermost feelings with painful honesty.
    http://lesnoirvrai.wordpress.com/

I think another reason I personally have a hard time expressing how I feel is because I generally speak very metaphorically, which ofttimes leaves people with a quizzical expression writ across their faces.

BTW... my Fi is 91%. Rock the Fi.

MBTI
    INFP

*ponders* I think Fi is more HOW it works than what it's working on. It's the process of paying attention to the evaluating of everything - internal or external. It's so fundamental and internal that it seems like I'd have to be dead to be any different. It happens like breathing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Socionics
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsWoman View Post
    *ponders* I think Fi is more HOW it works than what it's working on. It's the process of paying attention to the evaluating of everything - internal or external. It's so fundamental and internal that it seems like I'd have to be dead to be any different. It happens like breathing.
    Quoted for truth This is how I feel exactly. I couldn't explain my "feelings" if I wanted to, because it is literally the process of understanding how things are working around us.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Is it literally true that Fi users can spend hours thinking about how they feel about something? If so, how does this work?
    I think Fi-users who don't use Fi well, are likely to do this... myself included. I'll think about how I'm feeling to try and "sort it out", because things will feel chaotic internally and the only way to create order from the chaos is to understand which feelings are which, where the feelings originated from, etc.

If you're really good at using Fi -- especially if you're Fi-dom and Fi is your modus operandi (because everyone's dominant function is their modus operandi) -- then I think the IxFPs who posted before me and said that the thinking and feeling processes can't be split from one another so easily, are correct. Hell, maybe they're even correct in my case; Fi-inferiors are notorious for creating a mental separation between reason and feeling that doesn't actually exist. ( @Wind-Up Rex created a really good thread, recently, that covered this in detail.)
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

http://www.innerexplorations.com/catpsy/t1c1.htm
    This is a pretty good description. They describe all of the functions pretty well too, pretty much like cliff notes on what Jung wrote about. This theory has a lot of explanatory power when it isn't completely misunderstood and abused.
    I highlighted stuff cause I wanted to.

The Introverted Feeling Type

The extraverted feeling type attaches her feelings to the people and things around her, but the introverted feeling type tries to be in rapport with her inner world, whether it be of psychic images or ethical and spiritual values, and she tries to intensify this inner accord and embrace this world more deeply and fully. For the introverted feeling type the people and things around her are occasions for her feelings, which flow inward and go deeper and try to become more intense and concentrated.
    Because of the direction of her feelings she is often accused of not having any. She has a feeling, then that feeling immediately travels to her inner world, she weighs it on her interior feeling scale, and only once the round-trip journey has been made can she express herself. So much inner activity is going on that she tends to keep her face and body still. People often overlook this type, or are quick to classify her as slow. If we could have an exterior picture of what is really going on, however, we would be astounded. She lacks spontaneity not only because she is an introvert, but because her feelings are a constant involvement for her.

It was a peaceful afternoon and a neighbor came over to chat with Betty and her mother. She casually mentioned that a neighborhood dog (the one Betty had spent hours with in happy contentment) had died. Betty froze. Her heart felt as though it had been pierced, but she showed no outward sign of her inner turmoil. At long length the neighbor ambled off, Betty rushed into the house, and in the solitude of her own room, she broke out into racking sobs. Her beloved friend was gone.

The introverted feeling type tries to protect herself against too strong an influence coming from the outer object and detach her feelings from it so that they can travel within. Her clinging to inner values, silent as it is, can provide a good example from an ethical and moral point of view. People around her sometimes sense this inner reality, and fidelity to inner values. But at other times they sense how they are somehow being treated with a certain reserve, held in check and subtly devalued.

The second and third functions of sensation and intuition can help her perceive her inner values. Her third, more extraverted function helps her come to grips with the outside world. The introverted feeling types can be literally bursting with feelings but have no ready way to communicate them both because of their direction and because their content is not readily explicable in everyday terms.

Extraverted thinking is her weakest function. If she has a conversation, for example, she might spend hours, or even days, still thinking up answers she could have given but didn't. Though she might really care for someone, that person might remain in the dark because she cannot express herself well.
    She is easily tripped up by a thinking type who overpowers her with his words. When this happens she gets overwhelmed and can no longer respond. If you show displeasure or impatience with her, she is totally lost and her introverted feelings block up her weak thinking power, and she can easily be made to feel inadequate in our more verbal, active society. When upset, she will give you dark looks but it might be days before you know what is bothering her. Her fourth function thoughts are like birds - they come and go, and often fly off before they can be caught.