• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

DAMN IT! I WANT TO HEAR FI USERS EXPRESS THEIR FEELINGS!

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
i'd assume so, i never thought it was specific to any cognitive function.

I'm sorry to annoy you folks. It's just that [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] described his Fi almost like the sonar that a bat uses: he literally sends out signals and gets messages back as to how he feels about things. I was wondering if all Fi users did this?

Standuble

I'm sorry to annoy you folks. It's just that [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] described his Fi almost like the sonar that a bat uses: he literally sends out signals and gets messages back as to how he feels about things. I was wondering if all Fi users did this?

I don't think so. Sounds like an extrovert's use of the introverted function or perhaps the use of NeFi. For me the sonar works the other way. Information goes in, finds its own storage place in my mind and the Fi evaluates it and casts judgment. The sonar would be used on me only, trying to determine the contents of my mind and heart as if it were perhaps a cave. Then I work it through the thinking stage.

I hope this makes more sense than last time. Fi really isn't that complex or complicated a function IMO. It becomes more confounding than anything because we can't articulate it that easily.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Well, I get the impression you are thinking it is something like navel gazing. But it is more like Ti with more of a tendency to focus on the emotional elements.

Yeah that makes a lot more sense.

I don't think so. Sounds like an extrovert's use of the introverted function or perhaps the use of NeFi. For me the sonar works the other way. Information goes in, finds its own storage place in my mind and the Fi evaluates it and casts judgment. The sonar would be used on me only, trying to determine the contents of my mind and heart as if it were perhaps a cave. Then I work it through the thinking stage.

I hope this makes more sense than last time. Fi really isn't that complex or complicated a function IMO. It becomes more confounding than anything because we can't articulate it that easily.

So then, Fi just works for a filter for you? Is that what you are saying?

lenoirvrai

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Well, it would sound strange and cryptic. Haha. I have a hard time expressing my emotions when I'm talking to someone. It is as if something is blocking the words from entering my mind. I get a "duuurrrrr" feeling and just shut up. However, I can write about my emotions...

Here is my blog. Perhaps this will help you. In fact, this is my therapy blog, where I am divulging my innermost feelings with painful honesty.
http://lesnoirvrai.wordpress.com/

I think another reason I personally have a hard time expressing how I feel is because I generally speak very metaphorically, which ofttimes leaves people with a quizzical expression writ across their faces.

BTW... my Fi is 91%. Rock the Fi.

WoodsWoman

MBTI Type
INFP
*ponders* I think Fi is more HOW it works than what it's working on. It's the process of paying attention to the evaluating of everything - internal or external. It's so fundamental and internal that it seems like I'd have to be dead to be any different. It happens like breathing.

Chickadee

MBTI Type
INFP
*ponders* I think Fi is more HOW it works than what it's working on. It's the process of paying attention to the evaluating of everything - internal or external. It's so fundamental and internal that it seems like I'd have to be dead to be any different. It happens like breathing.
Quoted for truth :) This is how I feel exactly. I couldn't explain my "feelings" if I wanted to, because it is literally the process of understanding how things are working around us.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Is it literally true that Fi users can spend hours thinking about how they feel about something? If so, how does this work?
I think Fi-users who don't use Fi well, are likely to do this... myself included. I'll think about how I'm feeling to try and "sort it out", because things will feel chaotic internally and the only way to create order from the chaos is to understand which feelings are which, where the feelings originated from, etc.

If you're really good at using Fi -- especially if you're Fi-dom and Fi is your modus operandi (because everyone's dominant function is their modus operandi) -- then I think the IxFPs who posted before me and said that the thinking and feeling processes can't be split from one another so easily, are correct. Hell, maybe they're even correct in my case; Fi-inferiors are notorious for creating a mental separation between reason and feeling that doesn't actually exist. ( [MENTION=7254]Wind-Up Rex[/MENTION] created a really good thread, recently, that covered this in detail.)

Little_Sticks

http://www.innerexplorations.com/catpsy/t1c1.htm
This is a pretty good description. They describe all of the functions pretty well too, pretty much like cliff notes on what Jung wrote about. This theory has a lot of explanatory power when it isn't completely misunderstood and abused.
I highlighted stuff cause I wanted to.

The Introverted Feeling Type

The extraverted feeling type attaches her feelings to the people and things around her, but the introverted feeling type tries to be in rapport with her inner world, whether it be of psychic images or ethical and spiritual values, and she tries to intensify this inner accord and embrace this world more deeply and fully. For the introverted feeling type the people and things around her are occasions for her feelings, which flow inward and go deeper and try to become more intense and concentrated.
Because of the direction of her feelings she is often accused of not having any. She has a feeling, then that feeling immediately travels to her inner world, she weighs it on her interior feeling scale, and only once the round-trip journey has been made can she express herself. So much inner activity is going on that she tends to keep her face and body still. People often overlook this type, or are quick to classify her as slow. If we could have an exterior picture of what is really going on, however, we would be astounded. She lacks spontaneity not only because she is an introvert, but because her feelings are a constant involvement for her.

It was a peaceful afternoon and a neighbor came over to chat with Betty and her mother. She casually mentioned that a neighborhood dog (the one Betty had spent hours with in happy contentment) had died. Betty froze. Her heart felt as though it had been pierced, but she showed no outward sign of her inner turmoil. At long length the neighbor ambled off, Betty rushed into the house, and in the solitude of her own room, she broke out into racking sobs. Her beloved friend was gone.

The introverted feeling type tries to protect herself against too strong an influence coming from the outer object and detach her feelings from it so that they can travel within. Her clinging to inner values, silent as it is, can provide a good example from an ethical and moral point of view. People around her sometimes sense this inner reality, and fidelity to inner values. But at other times they sense how they are somehow being treated with a certain reserve, held in check and subtly devalued.

The second and third functions of sensation and intuition can help her perceive her inner values. Her third, more extraverted function helps her come to grips with the outside world. The introverted feeling types can be literally bursting with feelings but have no ready way to communicate them both because of their direction and because their content is not readily explicable in everyday terms.

Extraverted thinking is her weakest function. If she has a conversation, for example, she might spend hours, or even days, still thinking up answers she could have given but didn't. Though she might really care for someone, that person might remain in the dark because she cannot express herself well.
She is easily tripped up by a thinking type who overpowers her with his words. When this happens she gets overwhelmed and can no longer respond. If you show displeasure or impatience with her, she is totally lost and her introverted feelings block up her weak thinking power, and she can easily be made to feel inadequate in our more verbal, active society. When upset, she will give you dark looks but it might be days before you know what is bothering her. Her fourth function thoughts are like birds - they come and go, and often fly off before they can be caught.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The first 3 months in which I have dated my ixfp, we havent seen each other in person, but only chatted. I in chats back then was able to write 10 sentences in 10 seconds. She answered very very slowly and every once in a while. Sometimes kicked me out of the middle of the game and gave an answer to a question formulated several hours ago. I neither liked that nor disliked that.

What I liked tho very much was that we were able to communicate via youtube songs for weeks without saying any more words. Later on we told each other the stories we told each other in songs before and both were quite intrigued how much more the other one has seen in them.

Now 8 yrs later conversation for us still is not easy. I tend to take things at face value cause she sucks with words. And she tends to take things at face value cause I am not very tactful. But the one thing that will always bond us together is that without words we can communicate like one single mind and the fact that she wants a man and I want a girl. And we pretty much fulfill the stereotype for each of us.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It is Conscience, that little voice in your head that demands you do X no matter what the consequences because it is right, all notions of "efficiency", "expediency", "utility", and other such notions beloved in our soulless Capitalist society be damned. To disobey my conscience is to go against "The Good" with a capital G. I would rather pay the ultimate price, even death, than violate what is Good.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
so difficult to put into words...truly it is.

but i'll try...imagine for a moment that i have been to heaven and back and i have seen and felt the truth. i know with every thing that i am what love is...i know how utterly sacred the human spirit is.

and here i am walking around with this knowing...this knowing of the value of each individual...and what rights we each have to experience all the depth of beauty this life has to offer...so when i see someone step on that right...or attempt to take it from another...it hurts my heart...truly pains it. not in some slight way but in a blasphemous deep deep hurt...like they are going against all that is right...all that should be and all that each individual deserves. it is a sense of knowing something is wrong by emphatically feeling what it does to others...if it causes hurt to you...if it in anyway takes away your inherent rights. it is wrong.

i feel that the individual spirit is sacred and should be protected at all costs.

i feel my way through the world...i experience the world not only through the sights and sounds but the feeling impressions that i encounter throughout the day. i am terribly nostalgic and idealistic and my thoughts wander like that of a child playing make believe...so how i feel is often determined by what i'm imagining at the time....certain activities/places can be enjoyable because maybe it reminds me of a beautiful scene in a movie i saw once...or a favorite memory...or whatever place my mind has wandered off to

Get the hell outta my brain, Miss! :happy2:

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Feelers try to rationalise/understand their emotions.

Thinkers let them creep up on them.

In my experience Thinkers tend to have issues with accepting the non-rational part of their personality, they have created such a persona of being logical and rational that their feelings get deeply repressed and leak out in the form of rationalization of value judgements and projection of their own irrationality on others (an example of the later is the emotionally immature STEM student who accuses anyone who disagrees with his poorly thought out ideas with being guilty of some logical fallacy or another).

A common issue is that of the Te-Dom businessman who represses his Fi value-judgements in the name of "doing his job" and ends up hurting a lot of people because of the drive to maximize profits.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
think of it like this...

there's 15 kids all surrounding a bully and the kid he's picking on. the kids watching are egging him on. they wanna see a fight. they laugh at the bully's cruel jokes.

the majority as i see it does not win. their rights do not outweigh the individual because of the inherent truth of what is right.

"The worst part of Hell is reserved for those who are in a situation of moral adversity and chose to do nothing"

-Dante Alighieri, an INFP

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Do you sort of have "ACLU" type of thinking? Say, defend Nazi parades, because they have a voice too. Because my first thought would be to gun them down. But only if I could get away with it. The cherry on top would be to get a pat on the back maybe. I don't care about some people's rights, when it comes down to it.

I'm an INFP and an Anti-Fa. I would have no problem bringing the hammer of The People's Justice some Neo-Nazi thugs.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Well, I get the impression you are thinking it is something like navel gazing. But it is more like Ti with more of a tendency to focus on the emotional elements.

What do you mean by this? Explain?

Yes, I can easily feel other's emotions as well. I just know if it comes from the inside out, or from the outside in.

It is Conscience, that little voice in your head that demands you do X no matter what the consequences because it is right, all notions of "efficiency", "expediency", "utility", and other such notions beloved in our soulless Capitalist society be damned. To disobey my conscience is to go against "The Good" with a capital G. I would rather pay the ultimate price, even death, than violate what is Good.

Yeah, I get this sometimes. Ti users don't apparently?

I can't get emotionally worked up about my Fi any more than I'd get emotionally worked up about the fact that I have eyes. I mean, yeah, I could sit down and ponder how amazing it is that I have eyes and cry tears of joy about it but really, most of the time, why would I do that? I wouldn't.

Anyway, Fi for me is like a very sensitively calibrated balancing scale that informs me whenever something is emotionally, morally or aesthetically dissonant and makes me feel gross.

wolfy

awsm
What do you mean by this? Explain?

I mean that it is rational and based upon perceptions, how you feel, how others feel, react and so forth. I just see Fi as what I like/don't like, what is right/ not right from a personal point of view. A framework that has been built from experience.

It is quite a challenge to trust that, it is personal. Maybe that is why people will not, or cannot talk about it.