User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Which types are most common for Olympic Athletes?

When I think of athletes, I think of the cognitive function Se, which is the strongest in MBTI SP types. Yet, in order to be an olympic athlete, you need an extraordinary amount of self-discipline and be able to stick to a rigorous practice routine. This is something, I associate more with J types. I would think sensing would have an advantage over intuition since it is sports, which are highly physical and in the moment. I'm guessing SPs with a strong J side might be the best contenders? I'm not sure SJ types would be as inclined as SPs to take the physical risks that are needed to perform at an elite level in a given sport. I suppose it depends on the sport- some have a greater risk of injury than others.

What about T/F? I'm guessing its not the most important factor but I would think T would edge out just because I associate the Olympics with competition and typically T types are seen as more competitive and F types as more cooperative.

E vs I is interesting. I've seen alot of both types in the Olympics. I think I's would gravitate more towards individual events like the marathon while Es would gravitate more towards team sports. I think an introvert would have an easier time with the self-focus aspects and sacrificing a significant part of one's social life to devote to practicing. On the other hand, I would say introverts would be far more publicity shy and if you're going to be an Olympic athlete, you have to be prepared for millions of people around the world watching you and tracking your performance.

Resilience is also a very important aspect, which goes beyond the MBTI. In a way it would be inversely related to neuroticism in the big five system. The ability to keep cool under intense pressure. The ability to not get discouraged by setbacks. If you're an aspiring Olympic athlete, there will probably be several on the way.

On the enneagram side, I think type 3 would be by far the most common. This is the type that seeks success and sets goals.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

I don't think it matters honestly. I was watching an episode of Discovery Atlas last night, and it was about China. It profiled various aspects of modern life, and one was a profile of a 12 year old who had been training all her life (away from her parents), and was hoping to qualify for the 2008 olympic team (she was a gymnast). Thing is, she was taken away from her home when was 2. Who the heck knows what her "type" is, if there really is such a thing. She went through brutal training regimens, and was already toned and muscular as a little 12 year old. She was forced into that level of discipline. Granted, she admitted being homesick and crying a lot, so maybe she wasn't inherently a natural fit, but her actions spoke something different.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

The ones that excel with athletics will have Se high in their function order, which is often SP temperaments, but definitely not exclusive. Its more about bodily/kinesthetic intelligence and all the other trappings of a champion.
    I N V I C T U S

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

A lot of athletes seem like ISTPs to me but I am not sure if that is me subscribing to stereotypes. I also agree that the really driven/high-achieving ones seem like 3 is likely. However, I'm not sure how likely a type 3 ISTP is... Hmmm. I'm not good at typing people, anyway.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

THREE!
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Permabanned

Any SP.

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Any SP.
    I could buy into that easier. I just wonder what kind of screening process countries like China use to recruit toddlers. I don't know if it's random or not.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Athletes can show a lot of emotion...

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I could buy into that easier. I just wonder what kind of screening process countries like China use to recruit toddlers. I don't know if it's random or not.
    what?

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    what?
    Read my post earlier about Chinese recruitment process. They take little kids from their homes at 2 or 3 and train them till they're crying in pain. They barely see their parents. They didn't have time to develop naturally.. they could just be psychologically engineered to be "SP" like.