User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 17

  1. #1
    Senior Member Gen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    319

    Default E's and I's Listening Skills

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Sure extroverts listen and do pay attention but there's something about an introvert listening which can make you feel like you're the only person in existance besides them.

    To re-analogy, introverts drink deep.. extroverts sample and share.

    (Note I am an introvert yes but look at whom I chose as friends.. I find both equal in terms of advice... I just find introverts listen a little harder and consider a little longer.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    I haven't found this to be true at all either. What I have found is that N's tend to listen and get involved in personal discussion way more intimately than S's. S's like some in my family and my room mates, they tend to stay on the surface of issues rather than getting at the heart of things. You know, like disecting the concept that underlines the issues; that's N stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    N's understand you easier, that's not really the same thing. The most attentive listener I know is an INFP. He just listens and chips in when you leave him room to. My sister (one of those famed ENFJ listeners) won't necessarily wait for you to stop and once she's going you have to fight to get back to her listening. I see that as the introvert is the better listener even if my sister interprets better than he does.
    Thats not what I mean. In a conversation about recent events in your life, where something is causing stress or whatnot, an N is more likely to listen to what happened and get into why it happened, the psychology of the other person involved, the ethics of your options, etc. An S is more likely, in my experience to tell you a story about when something like that happened to her, or why she wouldn't let that happen, or if that's socially unacceptable because its a really upsetting event, leave it at "I'm sorry, I hope things get better". Its not a case of understanding or not.

    Also, if you just want someone to stare at you while you blather on, how do you know they're listening?

    Kidding. I see your point, being interupted is annoying. It doesn't mean they're not listening; it really, really doesn't. It's just that they're bubbling over with thoughts from what you've said already and how can you move on in the conversation if you haven't cleared up this part yet?

    Sometimes, if you know you need to get to a certain point before they will know enough to contribute, you can tell them: "wait until I finish, because this is important".

    You have to respect someone elses approach in order to get respect for yours. (And part of respecting someone elses approach is actually not expecting them to do it your way )

  2. #2
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    and get into why it happened, the psychology of the other person involved, the ethics of your options, etc.
    That's what I mean, they get into the context part which is what you want to discuss.

    Versus
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    An S is more likely, in my experience to tell you a story about when something like that happened to her, or why she wouldn't let that happen, or if that's socially unacceptable because its a really upsetting event, leave it at "I'm sorry, I hope things get better". Its not a case of understanding or not.
    The story is supposed to be a concrete example. If you watch two Ss argue it's often a whole barrage of specific examples going back and forth. It's quite interesting as usually an N is the best judge as they can build a picture of all the examples being thrown about and declare the de facto winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    Also, if you just want someone to stare at you while you blather on, how do you know they're listening?
    My cat listens okay. Just cause you're a heathen!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    Kidding. I see your point, being interupted is annoying. It doesn't mean they're not listening; it really, really doesn't. It's just that they're bubbling over with thoughts from what you've said already and how can you move on in the conversation if you haven't cleared up this part yet?
    Me thinks you're t-ing this bit. Listening is not always about fixing things... sometimes it's just about the listening. In such cases an introvert rules.

    Plus have you not gotten annoyed at some bubbly N trying to tangent off before you got to the crux of the subject? Personally I hate it when people jump the gun and think they've heard enough when I've got stuff which I feel is important yet to say. Mind you I also know that importance is subjective and also how the hell are they to know I've got this important information before I tell them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    Sometimes, if you know you need to get to a certain point before they will know enough to contribute, you can tell them: "wait until I finish, because this is important".
    As you do with introverts. The point being is will the extrovert find it as easy to "back seat" their bubbling idea whilst they listen or is it more likely that they no longer hear you and are just waiting to be allowed to explode?
    (that's not a leading question btw, just something that occurred to me from some of the ESs I've known).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    You have to respect someone elses approach in order to get respect for yours. (And part of respecting someone elses approach is actually not expecting them to do it your way )
    That's a fallacy actually and very chicken and the egg. Respect is given and received simultaneously and independently. One does not impact on the other in any direct relationship.

    The point is that if I want someone to listen, not to converse but just to listen by itself, then I talk to introverts. If I want motivating or sorting or compassion or any kind of feedback then I'm more likely to go to an extrovert. (That's not a hard rule obviously other wise I wouldn't surround myself with extroverts so much...)
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  3. #3
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    So do you want a response, Xander... or do you just want people to listen?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #4
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So do you want a response, Xander... or do you just want people to listen?
    If I were a paranoid person I'd be asking if you were serious.

    You know the INTP thing, we don't talk lots so when we think we have a point then yes we do like other's to listen.

    Anyhow have you never just wanted to say something to someone without them feeling like they should respond or you bracing yourself for their response?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  5. #5
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    If I were a paranoid person I'd be asking if you were serious.


    Would I ever joke with you?

    *get out screwdriver, screw with Xander's head*

    You know the INTP thing, we don't talk lots so when we think we have a point then yes we do like other's to listen.
    Hmmm, what are you like IRL? You talk a lot here when you post.
    (You remind me of Sub in a lot of ways in your delivery style.)

    I guess it depends on what exactly these "interruptions" look like. I don't like constantly being side-tracked when I am trying to verbalize, or have someone constantly try to finish my sentences... but at the same time, if it's conversation that pushes things forward, I'm perfectly okay with that.

    I talk to some extroverts, and very few of them are constantly interrupting, most are mature enough to know to listen and respond when appropriate... or how to minimize their interrupts.

    Anyhow have you never just wanted to say something to someone without them feeling like they should respond or you bracing yourself for their response?
    Yes, sometimes I just want to get it out and not have to worry about how to frame it or present it for someone else, I want them to take that upon themselves to help me.

    But I thought Gen made some points worth mulling over.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  6. #6
    Senior Member Gen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Me thinks you're t-ing this bit. Listening is not always about fixing things... sometimes it's just about the listening. In such cases an introvert rules.
    I know listening isn't about fixing things, its about listening... it's about being compassionate... wait a minute, are you an F!?!? This is the thing, I rarely just need someone to listen to me, I want to discuss it and get some thoughts on it. I've learned that some people do just want to be heard; and I find it very difficult to stop myself from giving advice.

    Plus have you not gotten annoyed at some bubbly N trying to tangent off before you got to the crux of the subject?
    Of course I have silly, that's why I said that I agree being interrupted is annoying.
    Personally I hate it when people jump the gun and think they've heard enough when I've got stuff which I feel is important yet to say. Mind you I also know that importance is subjective and also how the hell are they to know I've got this important information before I tell them?

    As you do with introverts. The point being is will the extrovert find it as easy to "back seat" their bubbling idea whilst they listen or is it more likely that they no longer hear you and are just waiting to be allowed to explode?
    (that's not a leading question btw, just something that occurred to me from some of the ESs I've known).
    I can't speak for everyone, of course, but I doubt that they've just stopped listening. They're E's remember. What happens in your head, as an I is that you get a bunch of info and need to process it before you move on. That's not what happens in theirs. They'll take it all in and then process it as it comes out when you're done talking.

    The one caveat I have is that none of this can be applied to all E's, of course. You may have unhealthy E's, selfish E's, stressed E's, overly familiar E's, or any number of reasons that they will actually be horrible listeners. I maintain a person is not a bad listener just because they are an extrovert.

    That's a fallacy actually and very chicken and the egg. Respect is given and received simultaneously and independently. One does not impact on the other in any direct relationship.
    Yes it does. You may find yourself in a situation where you are butting heads with someone and it's become a lockhold where no one will give in. Annoying as it is, sometimes the best thing to do is hold out the olive branch and be extremely respectful. This will help soften the other person, and give them no reason to continue being overtly disrespectful or hold to their guns so hard. It doesn't always work, but I never chalk up a situation as impossible until I've tried it.


    The point is that if I want someone to listen, not to converse but just to listen by itself, then I talk to introverts. If I want motivating or sorting or compassion or any kind of feedback then I'm more likely to go to an extrovert. (That's not a hard rule obviously other wise I wouldn't surround myself with extroverts so much...)
    You may be right, extrovert. That's why I don't surround myself with introverts. I need people around me who will talk; god knows I'm not gonna!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Gen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    But I thought Gen made some points worth mulling over.


    Thank you Jennifer!

  8. #8
    you are right mippus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    906

    Default

    Hm, what about another generalisation: I's are so selfabsorbed they are not interested in others?
    I find it hard to see listeningskills linked to type. At least in general. Indeed, you'll probably find more empathic listening with F's, more interactive listening with E's, more... Listening has many forms (as you explained above)...
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

  9. #9
    Senior Member Gen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mippus View Post
    Hm, what about another generalisation: I's are so selfabsorbed they are not interested in others?
    I find it hard to see listeningskills linked to type. At least in general. Indeed, you'll probably find more empathic listening with F's, more interactive listening with E's, more... Listening has many forms (as you explained above)...
    Exactly! Thank you! The point is, just because they don't do it your way, doesn't mean they aren't doing it. You have to appreciate who they are and how they do things, rather than think that, for example, "listening is X because when I listen I do X."

  10. #10
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post


    Would I ever joke with you?

    *get out screwdriver, screw with Xander's head*

    Well yes and no. Yes cause you would joke but I'm wondering what's behind the joke, where the links come from etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Hmmm, what are you like IRL? You talk a lot here when you post.
    (You remind me of Sub in a lot of ways in your delivery style.)
    Tall, dark and handsome... why?



    IRL I'm pretty much as I am here except a lot more brief basically because I get feedback before my head starts to explode into tangents, retractions, reinforcements and so on. This text based malarkey is too damn slow some days.

    Of course other days I just shut the lot out and hide
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I guess it depends on what exactly these "interruptions" look like. I don't like constantly being side-tracked when I am trying to verbalize, or have someone constantly try to finish my sentences... but at the same time, if it's conversation that pushes things forward, I'm perfectly okay with that.
    Of course it depends.. always in context.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I talk to some extroverts, and very few of them are constantly interrupting, most are mature enough to know to listen and respond when appropriate... or how to minimize their interrupts.
    That was as polarised as INTP are socially inept. I'm just typing not describing with accuracy. It's more of "this type is more prone to" even if it's only a 1% difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yes, sometimes I just want to get it out and not have to worry about how to frame it or present it for someone else, I want them to take that upon themselves to help me.
    Well sometimes I want a discussion about something like whether it's more appropriate to consider X value more important than Y or if I'm just forgetting Z and in my circle the introverts tend to consider it more carefully where as the extroverts will tell you how simple it is and ask why you asked (which is not the kind of conversational direction which they often have patience for).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    But I thought Gen made some points worth mulling over.
    That's the thing with me though, I most often absorb really quickly. Oh and I have a boring job and a slow internet connection... I consider quite thoroughly what people say.... I just don't often convey it well
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Similar Threads

  1. Fi vs. Ti and active listening skills
    By The Great One in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-10-2013, 03:13 PM
  2. [ENTP] ENTPs and employment skills!
    By CJ99 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-30-2009, 09:41 AM
  3. [MBTItm] intuition and listening skills
    By whimsical in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-15-2009, 12:07 PM
  4. P's and organizational skills.
    By ajblaise in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-28-2008, 07:08 AM
  5. [INTP] INTP and communication skills.
    By Cypocalypse in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-19-2008, 06:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO