• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lacking something....

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Is it possible to understand what you are lacking functionally through observation of what you struggle with or are worst at?

Of course this presumes the cognitive functions to be a very concrete set of rules and standards, which they aren't.

But here is an example: Im bad at driving, I also dislike it. Some may say that the first exists because of the second. I might agree with that, except the dislike came after the lack of ability.

When driving I tend to drift off and become a danger to those around me. This has resulted in my inability to locate a driving instructor, by dint of scaring off all the ones in the area, and thus ive never learnt to drive.

When I inspected my lack of concentration and ability at driving, I realised there was a connection with my general lack of logistics and planning. Im not a map reader, nor am I one to plan routes.
I also realised that I have no inclination or interest in learning the route specifics of driving; the street names, the locations, the roads with camera's or without.

None of that appeals or interests me and to focus on such information is a stress to my mind. When walking or cycling I know the area by an instinctive nature of familiarity. I can stand in any area of my town and know where the other parts are.

You cannot do this with a car unless you are already well experienced.

In some ways it is self defeating and I ought to push myself to develop whatever it is that I need to perform the act of car driving and logistics.

From this I might discern a lack of Te and possibly even Si. However I could easily be mistaken.

The interesting point here for me is: Am I underdeveloped in these areas because they are strong preferences I have not worked on yet? Or am I underdeveloped in these areas because they belong to a shadow function?

Of course I am open to the fact that this has nothing to do with function theory and specific skillsets can be mastered by anyone.
But that wouldn't explain natural tendencies for certain areas...or lack of tendencies in my case.

W

WALMART

the first time i ever drove, my driving instructor asked me how long i had been driving. i have a natural talent for operating machines, i've told myself.

coincidentally, i love it. i ride a sport bike, and ride it hard.

so idk.

also i have a tendency to post in your threads after reading the first half, don't hate me i have never really have "input".

but now seeing your question, i will attempt to answer to the best of my objective ability... but thinking about it, i can't. i don't know.

KDude

I'm sur you'd get the hang of it (since you mentioned your experiences with bike riding). You just have to start small maybe.. something still familiar with your bike experience, and then go on from there.

Anyways, I know this isn't just about driving. As for things I'm lacking and aware of.. I'm not one for planning my future. I'm probably floating through life compared to many people. I'm not one to glean the sort of depth from my surroundings that Ni does either (it will turn on randomly.. but I immediately want grounding.. it creates anxiety, fear, and paranoia. I don't see it in any productive or optimistic way).

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I'm sur you'd get the hang of it (since you mentioned your experiences with bike riding). You just have to start small maybe.. something still familiar with your bike experience, and then go on from there.

Anyways, I know this isn't just about driving. As for things I'm lacking and aware of.. I'm not one for planning my future. I'm probably floating through life compared to many people. I'm not one to glean the sort of depth from my surroundings that Ni does either (it will turn on randomly.. but I immediately want grounding.. it creates anxiety, fear, and paranoia. I don't see it in any productive or optimistic way).

Interestingly enough that is generally how I experience Ni as well. Occasionally I get the ole 'aha' side of it, but usually it just results in fears and anxiety as well as being locked in with no way out when concerning future things. It's hard not to consider my future since im at a point where both I and everyone else believes I ought to have been sorted by now.

Plus I have my own little drives and motives....but no way to realise them and I fear that I never shall and instead I will have to.........compromise.

Unfortunately that's what happens when you dont possess talent, assuming anyone believes in it. Hard work I have of course...but that can only take you so far.