User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Thumbs down Type ad humor styles

I have theory that the root of humour is surprise/breaking taboos/undermining values. People will find something funnier the more the punch line differs from their expectations. Their expectations are shaped by their worldview so it could be predicted from Myers Briggs. Some "data" from my personal life

INTP: I like humour that is absurd or surreal deviating from my normal appreciation of things fitting together logically
    ESFJ: she like physical jokes and bathroom humour. They deviant from her usual value of making people comfortable and presenting a put together image
    INFP: like humour that is aggressive, rude, obnoxious and dirty. Unlike his normal self which values being concerned for others and doing the right thing.

It's only a theory thought and I'm pretty certain their are holes in it but I was wondering what you guys's thOughts were. Does type relate to humour?

My favorite comedian is Eddie Izzard. Not sure what that means. Absurd/surreal?

I've been known to laugh at old ladies breaking their hips too. I'm working on suppressing that.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I've been known to laugh at old ladies breaking their hips too. I'm working on suppressing that.
    Is that really true? Like, have you recently seen an elderly woman break her hip and laughed? Not that isn't cool or anything, but I feel like people say this a lot and only actually laugh at the idea, because it's taboo or something.

No judgement if you do, though. Well, maybe a teeny bit, but I understand it's the little things in life, you know?

Back to Pseudo.

I really identify with your INTP description. A lot of early episodes of Adventure Time, Flapjack, and even older cartoons like Spongebob really embraced the surrealist kind of humor that I really enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ism View Post
    Is that really true? Like, have you recently seen an elderly woman break her hip and laughed? Not that isn't cool or anything, but I feel like people say this a lot and only actually laugh at the idea, because it's taboo or something.

No judgement if you do, though. Well, maybe a teeny bit, but I understand it's the little things in life, you know?

Back to Pseudo.

I really identify with your INTP description. A lot of early episodes of Adventure Time, Flapjack, and even older cartoons like Spongebob really embraced the surrealist kind of humor that I really enjoy.
    Stop judging me.

But yes.. Unfortunately, I've laughed at a real old lady who fell. I did it as a kid, so I think that age might be more reflective of natural inclinations. I know it's wrong.. not sure what to say about it all though. I've kept the amusement to the realm of entertainment now. I was going to blog about this recently, but didn't know how to state it. Like I find myself laughing at a lot of horror or violence in movies.. Essentially they're just clever gags. It's the set up that gets me, I think. Has nothing to do with the harm of people.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Stop judging me.

But yes.. Unfortunately, I've laughed at a real old lady who fell. I did it as a kid, so I think that age might be more reflective of natural inclinations. I know it's wrong.. not sure what to say about it all though. I've kept the amusement to the realm of entertainment now. I was going to blog about this recently, but didn't know how to state it. Like I find myself laughing at a lot of horror or violence in movies.. Essentially they're just clever gags. It's the set up that gets me, I think. Has nothing to do with the harm of people.
    If you were a kid, then no worries. I hold the personal belief that children are pretty sociopathic in their behavior, since they haven't grasped the ability to understand others' pain / empathize that well.

Horror movies are total comedy fodder, though. Human Centipede? An INFJ friend I had laughed for days.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

I hunk humour is a natural reaction for some people to discomfort or awkwardness. What you do when you are at a loss for what is appropriate to do. We watched a movie in 7th grade that involved a near rape and several students started laughing. Our teacher screamed at us and stormed out. The next day she apologized and said she understood if some of us had been incomfortable. I think humour is such a fascinating thing in instances like this.

Ginkgo

True, but the impact of the punch line depends on a taboo expectation. Otherwise, the joke would fall flat. These days, jokes hit hard because they depend on shifting contexts into a sort of "uber-realism" from our notions of what is acceptable. However, the jokes you might find on a Popsicle stick depend on shifting contexts into surrealism from our notions of what is acceptable. In both cases, the transition between the exposition and the punch line is absurd/unreasonable.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I hunk humour is a natural reaction for some people to discomfort or awkwardness. What you do when you are at a loss for what is appropriate to do. We watched a movie in 7th grade that involved a near rape and several students started laughing. Our teacher screamed at us and stormed out. The next day she apologized and said she understood if some of us had been incomfortable. I think humour is such a fascinating thing in instances like this.

Worse yet, when you do it in real, actual situations and people interpret it for exactly what it isn't (humorous versus a reaction out of nervousness). That's when things start to get really uncomfortable.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I enjoy surrealist humour projected into a realist background.

But I suppose it also stems from something I cant quite explain, something out of the expected, but not too far out; bordering the lines of lunacy but still structured enough to tickle me immensely.

Often this can be as subtle as the time I was watching an oldish justice league cartoon and The Flash and Lex Luthor swap bodies. Fairly straightforward stuff in a cartoon of this sort. What made me laugh was the image of The Flash, (as Luthor), standing round a table and telling everyone he has a plan, to which one of the replies was: "What are you going to do? Make everyone bald?!"

For some reason that cracks me up.

Of course there is also clever-but-not-really type of humour I enjoy as well as in that same episode Lex, (in The Flash's body still), shoots off into a bathroom and proclaims: "Well at least I can find out who The Flash really is." He takes off the mask...stares at himself in the mirror for a few seconds and then says: "I have NO idea who this is". To me that is both brilliant and bland but still very very funny.

Of course there is also anything Karl Pilkington says as evidenced by my signature. With him the humour comes not just purely from some of the ridiculous things he says, but also from the assumption that he believes what he is saying and doesn't intend it to be funny. Like his insane sounding idea of injecting an old lady in the head and she goes backwards in age after having lived a lifetime already and then dies as a baby like Benjamin Button. Or as a person dies...they have a baby growing inside of them and then the baby pops out as the person dies so each death results in a birth, which of course is pointless as we have a working reproductive system in place already.

Combined with the brilliant interjections and scenario's cooked up by Stephen Merchant and Ricky Gervais and occasionally I will be in tears while listening to their old podcasts.

Also I cannot forget his recollection of the various surreal and often downright bizarre people he grew up around. Such as: Miss Piggy, The lady with the bent neck, Shorts man, Uncle Alf, the lady with a bucket in a pram, Scruffy Sandra...and so on.

In the words of Ricky Gervais: "It's like fucking Narnia!"

But in general I enjoy rather random surrealist humour as well. I CAN enjoy slapstick surrealism in the form of weird facial expressions but that is more of a shared experience with my brother who finds this to be the pinnacle of humour, whereas I enjoy it....I think because he does. Or I enjoy his enthusiasm when he finds something that really tickles him and he plays it over and over.

Humour is interesting, of course, primarily because the second you dissect and try to explain a joke; it no longer holds any amusement. Like the idea of a granny going to get a series of organs swapped out to keep on going, it sounds humourous until you are holding the scalpel.

In this sense humour is best delivered like a successful emergency landing; whole and intact. Because then it is truely funny. I suppose I agree with @Pseudo that it is derived from expectations.

But then again I wonder if you could examine your expectations. For myself I wish the world to be a strange, unusual place and it often is, but at the same time it is also endlessly banal, although this could just be the human brain's curse and gift of boredom.

The ability to shut out the fantastical nature of what is right in front of us....so that we can go and dance in our heads. In that sense boredom is our greatest creation and our mightiest ally.

Without it I dont think we would have progressed beyond poking at poo with sticks.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I like irony.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff