User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

I really dislike bathroom humor. Not because I find it gross or inappropriate, but because I just find it unfunny. It seems like a cheap easy laugh. I do occasionally laugh when someone mentions vomit or shit or pee at inappropriate times but the humor to me is in their own embarrassment/disregard for social norms. Actual fart noises or visual bathroom humor doesn't make me laugh.

On a totally different line of thought, the evolution of humor. The fact that generally the humor of past generations falls flat on the new generations. Are we desensitized to what may have been shocking in previous eras? Are we missing the important social context? Or, a theory I find most interesting, is there a "trickle down" of ideas/jokes where we have all ready been exposed to the central idea of a joke before we hear it, therefore expecting the punch line and dulling the humor. For instance the hypothetical First joke about a mother-in-law would have been very original and funny. Now, the idea of mother in law joke, after being told in countless incarnations, has become so common and widespread that it is expected and not particularly funny.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    On a totally different line of thought, the evolution of humor. The fact that generally the humor of past generations falls flat on the new generations. Are we desensitized to what may have been shocking in previous eras? Are we missing the important social context? Or, a theory I find most interesting, is there a "trickle down" of ideas/jokes where we have all ready been exposed to the central idea of a joke before we hear it, therefore expecting the punch line and dulling the humor. For instance the hypothetical First joke about a mother-in-law would have been very original and funny. Now, the idea of mother in law joke, after being told in countless incarnations, has become so common and widespread that it is expected and not particularly funny.
    This is interesting because I actually prefer a lot of older comedies and styles of humour, some of which is an art we appear to have lost over time.

Unfortunately the key component of humanity is it's ever changing advances. The core nature might stay the same, but the social, mental and even physical conceptions can be warped beyond all recognition. Like rumour...humour changes and moves and the goalpost can swap so fast it will make your head spin.

So what was original becomes something else and often it is unrecognisable.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I like dark humor like Daniel Tosh or Anthony Jeselnik. However I also enjoy extreme absurdism no soap radio.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Actual fart noises or visual bathroom humor doesn't make me laugh.
    Not all farts are created equal.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    This is interesting because I actually prefer a lot of older comedies and styles of humour, some of which is an art we appear to have lost over time.

Perhaps I spoke too broadly. I love lucy, the honeymooners, chalie chaplain are all great. I guess I was thinking of certain types of humor that I associate with the fifities like puns, 'mugging', physical gags and phrases that have gotten over used like "I've seen X but this is ridiculous", "why I oughta!".

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Perhaps I spoke too broadly. I love lucy, the honeymooners, chalie chaplain are all great. I guess I was thinking of certain types of humor that I associate with the fifities like puns, 'mugging', physical gags and phrases that have gotten over used like "I've seen X but this is ridiculous", "why I oughta!".
    Were they ever really funny, though? I mean, would you have found those acts any funnier if you had lived in the 50's compared to a modern day you and a current day insipid sitcom?

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Were they ever really funny, though? I mean, would you have found those acts any funnier if you had lived in the 50's compared to a modern day you and a current day insipid sitcom?
    All I can say is ive always enjoyed blackadder, which admittedly is not as far back as the 50's, but it was around before my existance. I recently started watching it again to see if my nostalgia for it had blinded my enjoyment and made me think more of it than I should.

It had not, it was still as amusing now as it was when I first watched it. But I do admit the point about changing humour does stay true here, if it was something from the 50's I may or may not have enjoyed it as much as the style of humour would of course be different.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    good question. Perhaps they are our version of Carrot top

"Why I oughta!" is only funny if it's the Stooges. Every once in awhile I stop and watch them and they get on a roll.. Curly was a genius.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

What kind of humour is archer? All my friends think it's hilarious and I think it somehow manages to be excruciatingly boring while still frequently offensive. It's one of the few shows that I am not only bored, but uncomfortable watching. (and this coming from someone who finds some South park to be very funny)

Not sure what my humour is. I like sarcasm/irony, I like a lot of standup (Eddie Izzard and Russell Peters stand out, hard to remember more names), I like most comedies but NOT the fratboy/poop joke ones, although even those will usually get a couple joke right here and there. I like a few sitcoms, not others.
    -end of thread-