• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rejection of reality?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Probably not much correlation, but which types would be more likely to reject reality in favour of something imagined or perhaps a fictional setting they could read or watch?

I ask partly because when I was younger and in fact even sometimes now, I much preferred what was not real to what was. I enjoyed fictional settings as an escape, albeit healthily so I didnt take it too far.

It could be that this is just a human longing; a habit of wanting something that cannot ever be achieved or reached. That and the whole...escaping reality thing.

To go alongside this....what about idealising fictional characters and wishing one was them?

W

WALMART

those diagnosed with schizophrenia, those on lsd.

or those like you =P

i'm a big fan of loner types that stand up for things...

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I indulge in escapism from time to time. I generally prefer the fictional works furthest from present reality - fantasy/sci-fi, historical, anime. Otherwise I just read non-fiction.

I do that with characters as well if I'm particularly drawn to them or the world they're in for one reason or another.

KDude

I indulge in escapism too, but I wouldn't associate it with rejecting reality. That's an entirely different state of mind that doesn't even see basic information without interpreting it on some other premise. People can do this in subtle ways, and it still pisses me off. My realist side still finds comfort in being grounded, not jumping the gun too much.

But I reject a lot of valued things in reality. I'm frustrated with social/economic/political "realities". I downgrade materialism, for example. This makes up a lot of people's conception of reality, what they want for themselves, how they judge others, etc.. but it all bores me. I don't want to be involved. I indulge in escapism because it's simply more fun. If it was technically possible, I'd happily be the astronaut who went in stasis and flew in space for hundreds of years just to investigate another planetary system. It almost seems easier to take a life threatening gamble to get away from this place, than changing it. But I'd still not be rejecting reality. It's other people who live in an illusion that all of their petty bullshit actually matters. On the cosmic scale, it doesn't.

edit: If it's off for a self typed ISTP to say this, go ahead and retype me. ;)

Philosorapteuse

right on the left wing
MBTI Type
INTP
INTPs.

Well, actually, I can only speak for myself. But I'd ignore reality 90% of the time if I could. I think I probably spend at least half my waking time somewhere else, and I prefer it that way. It's more interesting. Making somewhere else plausible and as close to the complexity of reality is more fun. (Incidentally, the past counts as "somewhere else" for these purposes. I can lose myself in history. It's the present that I'm not interested in.) This is why generally, I don't get the thing where people apparently want to read books about people like them. Same with gossip magazines and similar. I already know real people who eat cornflakes for breaksfast and catch the train to work. Why on earth would I want to read about someone vaguely like me, who lives in a city vaguely like mine, who eats at restaurants I recognise and has a job I could have had down the other leg of the Trousers of Time? Seriously, I don't get it. Normal things, everyday things, are all around me. They already exist. Why would I want or need to imagine more of it? The whole point of imagining, to me, is to go to places and see things I could never do in the real world, because they're not there anymore, if they ever were. This is why, despite enjoying writing fiction, I've never found any interest in that whole making-up-stories-for-people-I-see-on-the-train thing I'm apparently meant to do. Why would I bother? Their lives are probably as mundane as mine. The people in my head are more interesting to me.

</socially stunted sensotard INTP>

Mole

Permabanned
I am in love with reality informed by imagination.

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTPs
INTPs on weed etc.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i dont think INTPs are so much about rejection of reality, but just more intrigued by possibilities/imaginations about reality and not care so much about focusing on the perceived reality itself. focusing on the perceived reality itself doesent offer anything to out Ti, we need to look beyond the sensory perceptions via imagination, to give Ti some work on trying to figure out if it makes sense or not to find the most plausible theories about what the world is really about, why does it work the way it does, what made it come to be what it is etc.

i think rejection of reality is more of N dom thing, in different ways for Ni and Ne doms

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Cheers for the replies. This is an interesting topic for me, primarily because of how often I find myself getting frustrated with what could loosely be called 'objective' reality.

If the social environment I live in would let me....id spend all my life in my mind and never come out. But there are always little pressures and inklings that influence me to come out anyhow, whether they come from within or without.

It's irritating because it almost induces a belief that static biology is ALL there is to most of humanities....'conceptions'.