• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

When Si Goes Wrong

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have a recent ridiculous story from my life.

A couple weeks ago I moved into a new house. There's a shopping center close by, and I walk there.

The first time I came back, I walked down the wrong street. I live on the fourth, this one is the third. That's okay, right?

Yeah it was okay two weeks ago. Ive turned down the third street four or five times now, its like a goddamn sketch comedy. One time I even walked all the way to the end and am all like where is my house? LMAO.

Okay but yesterday when I did it I caught it soon, and Im like Jesus christ Si fail.

Si makes the same mistake over and over again cuz it just feels right to turn down the third street!

If I had proper use of Si Id remember to go the right way instead of repeatedly the wrong way.

Jesus.

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me it's at its worst when I can swear I remember something completely differently from what it actually was. Dunno if this is related to Si or not - but there are many times I remember things happening that never really happened quite that way - and then I would get into arguments with people who'd have to prove me wrong with concrete proof for me to realize just how badly I remembered things. This happens most frequently with names of movies, things like birthday dates etc. I have literally gotten into fights trying to convince people that something happened when it happened completely differently from how I remember it o.0

As I've aged, I've gotten better with this though. Not as argumentative and not as trusting of my own memory :p

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Si is usually a more enjoyable or recreational thing for me, like cataloging the history of popular music and knowing which era, and having all these personal or weird cross references, and I had this even while young like at 21 which someone could argue for me being INFP with tertiary Si maybe bc of that. I think that's Si.

But normally Si for me means I have a closet full of world traditions I respect but wouldnt realistically want to be trapped in, and needing a sense of personal continuity even under all my frequent change, and JTG used to think it was funny Id go on about my childhood and say Si Si Si especially since it was triggered by music or something.

But this is a concrete example of my Si going wtf wrong. Its never been one of my practical functions anyway, it feels deep and personal and unreachable and impractical.

Like a shadow function I guess. Do you think its an inferior or even demon function for you?

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah i get you completely. I've also moved house and walked down the wrong street a couple of times in the dark, with anything new like that you just got to be conscious about where you're going I suppose

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Like a shadow function I guess. Do you think its an inferior or even demon function for you?

My problem with CF has been my inability to apply inferior functions wholly to myself. I tend to see the worst parts of what I think is Inferior Si in myself when I'm at my worst --- but I do have some positives from it as well.

The negatives:

- Becoming overly obsessive and pedantic about minutia
- Continuing to stick with a set way of doing things even if they stop working
- Have some respect for traditions and norms, but not to the extent of monotony. What I mean is that I do like tradition and will follow some traditions when they make sense to me [or to maintain harmony - which is the tertiary Fe/Si dynamic], but it's not something I like to adhere to. I prefer to break away from norms, or at the very least argue them to death.
- Get completely bored to death repeating the same tasks over and over again the same way. Even when I'm driving to work, I pretty much at least twice or thrice a week take a completely different route just to change things around because driving down the same roads gets boring after a while.
- Have very little understanding of Si as a whole. I do understand some parts of it but not a heck of a lot.

The good parts:

- It sort works when it wants to. It's when pieces of information / data are floating around in my head and connections start forming over time and everything just seems to connect together and fall in place and make sense all of a sudden. I read things very sporadically and store the basic concepts as opposed to the facts so the more I research and become open to new information, new connections form and my perspective becomes broader. I start relating different parts of different pieces of information together and weave them into a whole new idea.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
My problem with CF has been my inability to apply inferior functions wholly to myself. I tend to see the worst parts of what I think is Inferior Si in myself when I'm at my worst --- but I do have some positives from it as well.

The negatives:

- Becoming overly obsessive and pedantic about minutia
- Continuing to stick with a set way of doing things even if they stop working
- Have some respect for traditions and norms, but not to the extent of monotony. What I mean is that I do like tradition and will follow some traditions when they make sense to me [or to maintain harmony - which is the tertiary Fe/Si dynamic], but it's not something I like to adhere to. I prefer to break away from norms, or at the very least argue them to death.
- Get completely bored to death repeating the same tasks over and over again the same way. Even when I'm driving to work, I pretty much at least twice or thrice a week take a completely different route just to change things around because driving down the same roads gets boring after a while.
- Have very little understanding of Si as a whole. I do understand some parts of it but not a heck of a lot.

The good parts:

- It sort works when it wants to. It's when pieces of information / data are floating around in my head and connections start forming over time and everything just seems to connect together and fall in place and make sense all of a sudden. I read things very sporadically and store the basic concepts as opposed to the facts so the more I research and become open to new information, new connections form and my perspective becomes broader. I start relating different parts of different pieces of information together and weave them into a whole new idea.

I remember reading this thing on Personality Cafe where I felt like Inferior Te actually described me perfectly, and Inferior Ni actually sounded more like this old ESTP dude I know ...who is very....um...creative.

But the Jungian neurotic function model I think inferior Ni sounds like me, like the ES(F) Cultural Realist. Even the name Cultural Realist fits me I feel.

Si just never seemed like my inferior, I embraced it too much in some not-so-secret place of myself.

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I remember reading this thing on Personality Cafe where I felt like Inferior Te actually described me perfectly, and Inferior Ni actually sounded more like this old ESTP dude I know ...who is very....um...creative.

But the Jungian neurotic function model I think inferior Ni sounds like me, like the ES(F) Cultural Realist. Even the name Cultural Realist fits me I feel.

Si just never seemed like my inferior, I embraced it too much in some not-so-secret place of myself.

I wonder if one only recognizes the inferior when they've been in its grip for an extended period. I only related to the unhealthiest parts of tertiary Fe and Si when I was in a major grip of both over a period of 3 years. I would not have been able to figure out my inferior function before that. I would not have been able to relate to anything negative before those three years because I had a normal, happy life before that.

Plus, I also think that individuals who don't have a stereotypical E-type that is the best fit for their type may have a harder time relating back to cognitive functiond and descriptions as those are based on the most stereotypical archetypes of each type. Hmmmm ....

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeYf-rhMQIQ"].[/YOUTUBE]

I'm kidding. :D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I wonder if one only recognizes the inferior when they've been in its grip for an extended period. I only related to the unhealthiest parts of tertiary Fe and Si when I was in a major grip of both over a period of 3 years. I would not have been able to figure out my inferior function before that. I would not have been able to relate to anything negative before those three years because I had a normal, happy life before that.

Plus, I also think that individuals who don't have a stereotypical E-type that is the best fit for their type may have a harder time relating back to cognitive functiond and descriptions as those are based on the most stereotypical archetypes of each type. Hmmmm ....

I was in an abusive relationship. Im pretty sure Te helped me tremendously in leaving that relationship. My mom thinks I had PTSD. Im sure that qualifies as unhealthy. So yeah I can agree.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah i get you completely. I've also moved house and walked down the wrong street a couple of times in the dark, with anything new like that you just got to be conscious about where you're going I suppose

but this was in broad daylight, and it was the same street each time, which is why I believe it to be Si

I didn't even feel lost.

I think it may be these peoples front gate I just want to keep walking to it. And Im bad about not reading street signs, and my street sign happens to be obscured behind some vines or a bush.

Not just like not paying attention or getting lost, but like subconsciously repeating the same sensory pattern again without questioning it, at first not until I noticed the house wasn't where it was supposed to be on the street, finally catching myself the fourth or fifth time I do this.

The one time I came home in the dark I actually turned down the right street. I had even been drinking.

So to recap: sober in broad daylight I keep walking down the wrong street at night after a few beers I go straight to my house.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh and lest anyone fear for my ability to even care for myself, despite my writing Im a visual learner and like many females remember houses, plants, shops and so forth instead of street signs or north east south west. However when traveling of course I pay attention to street signs.

Its just that I felt comfortable and safe in this neighborhood and was using this gas station down the street as a marker, like my street is a few streets down and diagonal from there so I remembered the wrong visual markers or misjudged the distance. I also think I must like those peoples front gate.

Im guessing intoxicated in the evening I felt more cautious and alert and was less distracted by visual markers because u can't see as well in the dark, so funnily was correct that time.

S

Society

ow you shadow users, bow down before my inferior Si, for i have tasted the fruits of remembering where i placed my socks, and it was glorious, GLORIOUS!

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I was young I used to walk and get lost in the suburban maze and somehow I'd make it back without knowing how I did it. I'm figuring it's inferior Si magic. That's when Si goes right for me. Now I work in a beige office cube farm, and they've shuffled us around where I sit the same place in respect to mirror image stairwells and bathrooms, just on the opposite side of the building. My Si just doesn't register it at all I keep heading to my old seat.

[MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION] Lol, I too revel in the ability to occasionally find where I left things.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
how is this related to Si?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
how is this related to Si?

How does it not?

I know that how I get my bearings in a space is a by kinda vague memories of impressions of when I had been there before, it's almost a feeling. I assumed that was Si. Do you disagree?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
How does it not?

I know that how I get my bearings in a space is a by kinda vague memories of impressions of when I had been there before, it's almost a feeling. I assumed that was Si. Do you disagree?

yes i disagree. Si is http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=Psychological_Types#Sensation_2

Sensation, which in obedience to its whole nature is concerned with the object and the objective stimulus, also undergoes a considerable modification in the introverted attitude. It, too, has a subjective factor, for beside the object sensed there stands a sensing subject, who contributes his subjective disposition to the objective stimulus. In the introverted attitude sensation is definitely based upon the subjective portion of perception.

It is an unconscious disposition, which alters the sense-perception at its very source, thus depriving it of the character of a purely objective influence. In this case, sensation is related primarily to the subject, and only secondarily to the object.

The ascendancy of the subjective factor occasionally achieves a complete suppression of the mere influence of the object; but none the less sensation remains sensation, although it has come to be a perception of the subjective factor, and the effect of the object has sunk to the level of a mere stimulant. Introverted sensation develops in accordance with this subjective direction. A true sense-perception certainly exists, but it always looks as though objects were not so much forcing their way into the subject in their own right as that the subject were seeing things quite differently, or saw quite other things than the rest of mankind. As a matter of fact, the subject perceives the same things as everybody else, only, he never stops at the purely objective effect, but concerns himself with the subjective perception released by the objective stimulus. Subjective perception differs remarkably from the objective. It is either not found at all in the object, or, at most, merely suggested by it; it can, however, be similar to the sensation of other men, although not immediately derived from the objective behaviour of things. It does not impress one as a mere product of consciousness—it is too genuine for that. But it makes a definite psychic impression, since elements of a higher psychic order are perceptible to it. This order, however, does not coincide with the contents of consciousness. It is concerned with presuppositions, or dispositions of the collective unconscious, with mythological images, with primal possibilities of ideas. The character of significance and meaning clings to subjective perception. It says more than the mere image of the object, though naturally only to him for whom the subjective factor has some meaning. To another, a reproduced subjective impression seems to suffer from the defect of possessing insufficient similarity with the object; it seems, therefore, to have failed in its purpose. Subjective sensation apprehends the background of the physical world rather than its surface. The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them. Such a consciousness would see the becoming and the passing of things beside their present and momentary existence, and not only that, but at the same time it would also see that Other, which was before their becoming and will be after their passing hence. To this consciousness the present moment is improbable. This is, of course, only a simile, of which, however, I had need to give some sort of illustration of the peculiar nature of introverted sensation. Introverted sensation conveys an image whose effect is not so much to reproduce the object as to throw over it a wrapping whose lustre is derived from age-old subjective experience and the still unborn future event. Thus, mere sense impression develops into the depth of the meaningful, while extraverted sensation seizes only the momentary and manifest existence of things.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't see what I said and what you referenced are different.

and i dont see how they are even remotely the same :unsure: