User Tag List

First 2101112

Thread: INTJ vs INTP

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    You think INTJs are artistic? Or were you using that expression figuratively? Are INTJs interested in art?

From what I've read, the opposite is true (Ps tend towards realism, Js towards abstraction).

I think all types can be interested in Art. And really all types can make any type of work. I was using art as a visual example of thinking, which obviously didn't translate.

I don't really get why Js would be abstractionists and Ps would be realists (Is this in the sense of imitationalism or in the portrayal of the mundane?).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

I remember seeing a joke on youtube along the lines of: the guy wearing the weird, nerdy shirt is an INTP, and the guy who gets the joke and laughs at it, but would never wear that shirt is the INTJ. It makes sense a bit, as the INTJs strong, extroverted thinking makes one like looking neat and presentable, while an INTP wouldn't have as much care for such things (except for the tertiary Si, which can have a similar effect, but is nonetheless different).
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

Schopenhauer

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    The inclusion of "effective" betrayed you! :P
    Ti types tend to invest much in the meaning of words, without paying much attention to the meaning of statements.

That's not strictly true. We do have a goal in mind, it's just not always about winning.
    Oh, so it's sometimes about winning?

Actually, there is a great deal of irony, here, because in spite of the INTP complaints about INTJs, Ti types are generally very competitive - they're just not as declarative about it. Your rhetorical pokes and jabs are a good example of this.

Actually, a number of INTJs have already confirmed this observation.
    I can make assertions without backing them up, too!

I find the "lack of awareness" to be far more pervasive than the desire to "dominate". I am perhaps biased, however, being a type 9 INTJ and not a type 8. Type 8s of whatever MBTI type cannot help but dominate, but it isn't a function of INTJ-ness. As a type 9, I was often surprised when I was younger how my intentions were misinterpreted: there were entire contexts I was missing that made sense in retrospect, but simply weren't there for me at the time. Even with the type 8s, they're often trying to be "helpful" in their own eyes (they integrate to type 2), fighting for those whom they love and perceive to be at a disadvantage.

Your strenuous defence regarding situations you aren't privy to, speaks to your own denial.

I'm not really trying to prove anything to you. I regret the lack of communication more than proving anything to anyone. If you understand what I say, and have a cogent reply as to why I'm wrong, that makes me happy. If your response to what I say is amateur psychoanalysis, then I know that the communication failed somewhere.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Ti types tend to invest much in the meaning of words, without paying much attention to the meaning of statements.

Oh, so it's sometimes about winning?

Actually, there is a great deal of irony, here, because in spite of the INTP complaints about INTJs, Ti types are generally very competitive - they're just not as declarative about it. Your rhetorical pokes and jabs are a good example of this.

I can make assertions without backing them up, too!

I find the "lack of awareness" to be far more pervasive than the desire to "dominate". I am perhaps biased, however, being a type 9 INTJ and not a type 8. Type 8s of whatever MBTI type cannot help but dominate, but it isn't a function of INTJ-ness. As a type 9, I was often surprised when I was younger how my intentions were misinterpreted: there were entire contexts I was missing that made sense in retrospect, but simply weren't there for me at the time. Even with the type 8s, they're often trying to be "helpful" in their own eyes (they integrate to type 2), fighting for those whom they love and perceive to be at a disadvantage.

I'm not really trying to prove anything to you. I regret the lack of communication more than proving anything to anyone. If you understand what I say, and have a cogent reply as to why I'm wrong, that makes me happy. If your response to what I say is amateur psychoanalysis, then I know that the communication failed somewhere.
    @uumlau

I agree about the competitiveness. I am very competitive but generally I we make ourselves the "decider" when it comes to winning rather than some external source. As long as I feel I've won (or that someone else's win is in a category unrelated or unimportant to me) I don't need to have the win recognized in a formal way. I think it annoys us when this image is broken and we have to accept outside rulings.