User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Is Ni like Fi?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Default Is Ni like Fi?

This is a question that I had wondered awhile ago but was reminded of it again by someone bringing it up recently in this thread.

In looking at a bunch of old threads, I noticed that there were several people (all dom/aux/tert Fi-users) independently saying that Fi (or Fi/Ne) was like Ni. Because several people are saying this, there must be something there. But I'm not understanding it. They have similarities that all introverted functions have, but I don't see it beyond that.

My concept of Fi is that it has to do with the personal values and feelings of the person using it, and that it identifies what values are at play in a given situation.

Ni on the other hand has nothing to do with values or feelings, and is as impersonal as a computer spitting out data.

So I'm obviously lacking in some understanding of what Fi is.

What do you think about this? What am I missing about what Fi is? Does anyone have any theories about how Ni and Fi (or Fi/Ne) are similar? Or how they work differently?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."--Ambrose Redmoon

. . . metamorphosing . . .

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    845 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Well, I personally feel like Ni and Fe can combine to resemble something like Fi; we become attached to something (or someone) due to perceiving their emotions, and our Ni cracks down on trying to figure out the "why" and what other details regarding the situation that we can't readily see. So we may have seemingly complex insights and reasons related to our Fe, making it resemble its introverted counterpart, but it's still a bit different.

I admit, though, I have difficulty telling Fe and Fi apart at times.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm not very versed on the matter.. my stunted Fi can be mysterious to me. I think that may be a similarity, in both Fi and Ni users, we get only get the end result. It's always working, updating in the murky background, but it gets revealed in a flash.

Conceptually, no. In reality, they are probably like this:

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

The main similarity is that Ni and Fi are the two most subjective functions of their respective domains (i.e., Judging and Perceiving).

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I reckon Fi and Ti are closer. Both can, at their worst, induce a sense of being right in an individual.

No wait....sorry that's just human beings in general.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    The main similarity is that Ni and Fi are the two most subjective functions of their respective domains (i.e., Judging and Perceiving).
    yup...that's about it.
    Myers-Briggs: xsFP

Enneagram: 9?-4wX?-5/6

~ People don't think it be like it is, but it do. ~

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Fi has often that same gut reaction feel that Ni has. And it makes it sometimes really hard to tell them apart irl. Ive found though that Ni flashes operate without any emotional attachment. It is gaining insight at its purest, where you just see what will happen next. Fi otoh feels more like looking in a mirror and going 'ohhh..i didn't see *that* before! So thats how that works!' It usually involves seeing the 'logic' behind the raw emotion that drives the value driving the action, whether in your or in others. It slots together like a puzzle, much like Ni does, but with more focus on the system underneath values and emotions, whereas Ni seems to focus more on the puzzle of events in front of you only to see what it will lead to in the future.

I also find that Ni feels way more like a detached and perhaps even slightly amused understanding in a 'this is how it is' kind of way, whereas Fi feels more like an epiphany when the puzzle piece falls into place as it feels so....*right*

*waits for shitstorm*
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Fi has often that same gut reaction feel that Ni has. And it makes it sometimes really hard to tell them apart irl. Ive found though that Ni flashes operate without any emotional attachment. It is gaining insight at its purest, where you just see what will happen next. Fi otoh feels more like looking in a mirror and going 'ohhh..i didn't see *that* before! So thats how that works!' It usually involves seeing the 'logic' behind the raw emotion that drives the value driving the action, whether in your or in others. It slots together like a puzzle, much like Ni does, but with more focus on the system underneath values and emotions, whereas Ni seems to focus more on the puzzle of events in front of you only to see what it will lead to in the future.

I also find that Ni feels way more like a detached and perhaps even slightly amused understanding in a 'this is how it is' kind of way, whereas Fi feels more like an epiphany when the puzzle piece falls into place as it feels so....*right*
    The color red denotes emotional involvement in my depiction.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    The color red denotes emotional involvement in my depiction.
    Synesthesia?
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”