User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: Is Ni like Fi?

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Well, but you are talking about a consciousness about the process. That doesn't mean that the dominant perceiver's dominant perception is not judging....it's just doing it at a deeper level that isn't as obvious. Locking onto songs for an album is quite a judgmental process. Hell, anything that gets done involves judgment. And you can't tell me it's all attributed to aux functions in dom perceivers!
    People tend to confuse their personal “internal” experience of their judging and perception functions for the following reason: Everyone’s dominant function tends to be carried out more or less unconsciously, whereas everyone’s auxiliary function tends to be a conscious function.

So your Ni tends to take place unconsciously. So when you experience your Fe and feel that it is doing something important (judging), you tend to assume that your conscious function (your judging) is the dominant function.

But in reality, your dominant function is operating pretty much out of your sight.

Well, but you are talking about a consciousness about the process. That doesn't mean that the dominant perceiver's dominant perception is not judging....it's just doing it at a deeper level that isn't as obvious. Locking onto songs for an album is quite a judgmental process. Hell, anything that gets done involves judgment. And you can't tell me it's all attributed to aux functions in dom perceivers!
    Yeah, tell John Frusciante that. Most of his ideas are perceptual. Of course everyone uses some judgement, but we're talking about dominance. John flows in perception, so I think it's his dominant way of approach. He's a little less weird than he used to be than this vid though. He's fairly normal here.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9E8livzmRM&feature=related].[/youtube]

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    People tend to confuse their personal “internal” experience of their judging and perception functions for the following reason: Everyone’s dominant function tends to be carried out more or less unconsciously, whereas everyone’s auxiliary function tends to be a concscious function.

So your Ni tends to take place unconsciously. So when you experience your Fe and feel that it is doing something important (judging), you tend to assume that the conscious function is the dominant function.

But in reality, your dominant function is operating pretty much out of your sight.
    Yeah, I've heard all that too.

That doesn't really describe how Fe works in me either.

And I've had enough experience thinking consciously about my cognitive functions that Ni isn't so invisible to me anymore.

There comes a time when theory development goes deeper and expands. That is just the way knowledge works; you get deeper and deeper, and more enlightened. It is inevitable if one is thoughtful. To stay at the same place or level as Jung was when he discovered cognitive functions would be counter, or even resistant, to this inevitable process.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

RDF

Yeah, I've heard all that too.

That doesn't really describe how Fe works in me either.

And I've had enough experience thinking consciously about my cognitive functions that Ni isn't so invisible to me anymore.

There comes a time when theory development goes deeper and expands. That is just the way knowledge works; you get deeper and deeper, and more enlightened. It is inevitable if one is thoughtful. To stay at the same place or level as Jung was when he discovered cognitive functions would be counter, or even resistant, to this inevitable process.
    Fair enough. It just makes it tough to discuss this stuff when everyone decides that they want to rewrite the rules based on self-observation.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Yeah, tell John Frusciante that. Most of his ideas are perceptual. Of course everyone uses some judgement, but we're talking about dominance. John flows in perception, so I think it's his dominant way of approach. He's a little less weird than he used to be than this vid though. He's fairly normal here.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9E8livzmRM&feature=related].[/youtube]
    Yeah, he's very dominant perceiver.

But he still locks quickly on to an idea (instantaneously) immediately after he perceives it. I don't see how you can attribute that to Fi or whatever.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    Fair enough. It just makes it tough to discuss this stuff when everyone decides that they want to rewrite the rules based on self-observation.
    I don't want to rewrite the rules, as much as talk about other realities and possibilities.

Do you always jump so far ahead? For me, it's the process of discovery, not the destination.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

Ginkgo

Good Point. Then I found this:

And I'm like, even further confused. That the earth has a moon seems like quite a rational thought to me. At least in our present time. Perhaps in Jung's day it was irrational (i did not double-check to see that that was a direct quote of his, or the author's creation).

I just think his whole rational/irrational categories are more confusing than clarifying.
    Irrational.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Irrational.
    LOL! But I'm an NF!

I'm sure to an INTP or INTJ or anyone else period, it's quite a rational thought.

You disagree?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

Yeah, he's very dominant perceiver.

But he still locks quickly on to an idea (instantaneously) immediately after he perceives it. I don't see how you can attribute that to Fi or whatever.
    I'm not attributing it to Fi. I think he's INFJ. He's pretty lively there, but I think he's too secluded to be enfp.. like many of his song lyrics are seriously cut off. He also quit a big rock band twice, and was one of the only rockstars who called himself a celibate.

RDF

I don't want to rewrite the rules, as much as talk about other realities and possibilities.

Do you always jump so far ahead? For me, it's the process of discovery, not the destination.
    Again, the difference between perceiving functions and judging functions is Cognitive Functions 101 material (and also MBTI 101 material). This is typology canon. If we can't agree where we're perceiving vs. judging, there's not much worth in discussing typology at all.

Oh well, I'm done for the morning. I'll leave you to it.