User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Is Ni like Fi?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Ok well..in my own experience, thats how it starts out..it changes and becomes more refined as you develop it though.
    I'm glad.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I'm glad.
    I guess your Fi has been reassured then.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

no.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Ginkgo

I guess your Fi has been reassured then.
    It can't be that easy, can it?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    It can't be that easy, can it?
    Why not?
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Ginkgo

Why not?
    Woah. Slow down. Now we're getting into Ni territory. Suddenly I don't know where we are anymore.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    The main similarity is that Ni and Fi are the two most subjective functions of their respective domains (i.e., Judging and Perceiving).
    Agreed; with Si and Ti you can kind of 'see' what's behind them.

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by SubtleFighter View Post
    This is a question that I had wondered awhile ago but was reminded of it again by someone bringing it up recently in this thread.

In looking at a bunch of old threads, I noticed that there were several people (all dom/aux/tert Fi-users) independently saying that Fi (or Fi/Ne) was like Ni. Because several people are saying this, there must be something there. But I'm not understanding it. They have similarities that all introverted functions have, but I don't see it beyond that.

My concept of Fi is that it has to do with the personal values and feelings of the person using it, and that it identifies what values are at play in a given situation.

Ni on the other hand has nothing to do with values or feelings, and is as impersonal as a computer spitting out data.

So I'm obviously lacking in some understanding of what Fi is.

What do you think about this? What am I missing about what Fi is? Does anyone have any theories about how Ni and Fi (or Fi/Ne) are similar? Or how they work differently?
    Yeah, I can see that, maybe.

To me, Fi is made up of a bunch of “stories” or ideals that I’ve constructed in my head over time: For example: Poor underdog being abused by more powerful people; drug-addled homeless dude; hard-working salt-of-the-earth type who can’t get a break; and so on.

I have hundreds of these little stories in my head, some very detailed, and some kind of vague and generalized. As I go through my day, I’m constantly checking the outside impressions that are coming in via Ne against the Fi “stories” or ideals in my head. At the simplest level, those “stories” or ideals give me quick context with which to make quick judgements: I like that guy, I pity that guy, I hate that guy; or that's unfair, that's fair, etc.

(IOW, as I understand it we Fi-users don’t really empathize directly with people. Instead we have favorite ideals or stories or models in our head, and we connect with various individuals in the world around us to the extent that the individuals appear to match those ideals or stories already in our head.)

Anyway, things get more complex when I have to rework one of my Fi “stories.” For example, I meet some guy and he’s handsome, well-off, etc., i.e., not normally a candidate for pity or compassion from me. But then I get to know him better and find out that he’s got some wasting disease. And then suddenly I have to rework my “story” about him, and maybe even rework a more generalized story about privileged people as well (“everyone has their secret problems...”)

Anyway, how does that tie in to Ni?

Well, my understanding of Ni is that it works like a matrix or a spiderweb. The Ni-user collects factoids and data in their Ni matrix, sees how they all connect together, and then churns the matrix and rearranges the factoids and data into new combinations. He compares the new combination against the old, churns again for more combinations, and thus cranks out plans and back-up plans and more back-up plans, until a solution is worked out.

I had a job where I occasionally had to work in this mode, i.e., I had to take a number of data elements or categories and put them into different combinations in my mind and compare the results. That is I repeatedly shook up the matrix and generated new combinations until I got as near a perfect combination as possible for those particular data.

Anyway, to get back to the starting topic: Yeah, my Fi “stories” or ideals kind of feel like my Ni matrices to me. I can go through lots of Fi “stories” or ideals just by sitting in a park, people-watching, imagining who they are and what their life is about (Ne), and then thumbing through my Fi catalogue of ideals and "stories" to see how I feel about them. Similarly, I can go through lots of Ni matrices when working with a difficult problem, shaking up that starting matrix over and over in order to see new combinations of the main elements.

The two (Fi and Ni) feel different in that each Fi “story” or ideal was basically “constructed” at some point in the past, sometimes very painstakingly. Whereas Ni is more like shaking a cupful of dice and seeing what new combination falls out.

But I still get the same rough feel with both, when using them in the moment: That is, they both feel like I'm thumbing quickly through lots of self-generated possibilities or constructs in my head in order to provide context (or solutions) for what’s happening in the world.

(Just brainstorming a bit here.)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Similarities of Ni and Fi:
    Both subjective functions (Introverted and Personal)

Differences:
    Ni is a perception
    Fi is a judgement function

Ni is irrational
    Fi is rational
    I N V I C T U S

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    Similarities of Ni and Fi:
    Both subjective functions (Introverted and Personal)

Differences:
    Ni is a perception
    Fi is a judgement function

Ni is irrational
    Fi is rational
    But my Ni makes judgments, being my dom function. It decides what stays. It decides ultimately what truth is for me. I call that judgmental.

And F is just irrational. How can F be 'rational' when you are dealing with feelings?

I know those are strict Jungian/MBTI terms, but they just really need to be revised, don't they?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com