User Tag List

123 Last

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Default MBTI type that gathers information just for one-upmanship?

This may sound like an odd question, but can an MBTI type be tied back to deliberately attaining knowledge for the usage in arguments and so that no one can consider that person unintelligent or of less capability?

So they can always be on top? Or can this merely be considered a human trait?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I sometimes have that impression from entp Ti-subtypes. Subtype means that they try to make Ti their dominant function, tho its very taxing for them. This often seems like someone who 'prepares' before a conversation, so he can tackle every possible arguement. Some sort of unhealthy Ne/Ti mix.

To go so far and say its a type thing, I wouldnt do. On-Top-manship makes for very uncomfortable persons, who wont be liked a lot in life. I rather thing its more the result of a lack of self-confidence.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I sometimes have that impression from entp Ti-subtypes. Subtype means that they try to make Ti their dominant function, tho its very taxing for them. This often seems like someone who 'prepares' before a conversation, so he can tackle every possible arguement. Some sort of unhealthy Ne/Ti mix.

To go so far and say its a type thing, I wouldnt do. On-Top-manship makes for very uncomfortable persons, who wont be liked a lot in life. I rather thing its more the result of a lack of self-confidence.
    Interesting. "This often seems like someone who 'prepares' before a conversation, so he can tackle every possible arguement." sounds a lot like I was when I was a teenager.

So ENTP maybe? That was the type I was thinking of actually, in regards to this. It does sound like Ne-Ti where Ti is domineering. I seem to have met a lot of people like this, of course this isn't anything but anecdotal. Although it could still be coincidental.

There might be a few reasons as to why someone would engage in this behaviour though.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I can speak of a cultural difference here as well. This kind of behaviour is something I encountered the most intense with germans. Bossy self-opininiated behaviour you find here quite often especially in online forums. To me it is a self-confidence problem or a problem of personality development. I never not even slighty have the feeling to correct people for mistakes when having a loose conversation. Nor do I prepare for conversations to seem artifically intelligent. This kinda never works, cause it is evident to every intelligent being in any conversation.

I like you more, like you are today. The key to wisdom is always to listen to others and having the attitude to learn from others. That wont only make you more sympathetic to others but will earn you real knowledge as well.

I can speak of a cultural difference here as well. This kind of behaviour is something I encountered the most intense with germans. Bossy self-opininiated behaviour you find here quite often especially in online forums. To me it is a self-confidence problem or a problem of personality development. I never not even slighty have the feeling to correct people for mistakes when having a loose conversation. Nor do I prepare for conversations to seem artifically intelligent. This kinda never works, cause it is evident to every intelligent being in any conversation.

I like you more, like you are today. The key to wisdom is always to listen to others and having the attitude to learn from others. That wont only make you more sympathetic to others but will earn you real knowledge as well.
    Sounds like wise words to me.

These are actually things ive had to learn as I got older. Im not bossy as such, but I do jump the gun a lot on my reactions to things, so it's been a long process to try and curb that tendency.

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

That's the M.O. of enneagram 5, actually. I suppose I'd relate it to NT types most in the MBTI.

Quote Originally Posted by enneagraminstitute
    average Fives[...] believe they are not capable of functioning as well as others and so make it their number one priority to acquire the skills and knowledge they feel is necessary for them to be able to operate adequately in life.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    That's the M.O. of enneagram 5, actually. I suppose I'd relate it to NT types most in the MBTI.
    Not necessarily. According to your posted definition this can just mean that 5s try to better themselves. Not to outsmart everyone else.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    can an MBTI type be tied back to deliberately attaining knowledge for the usage in arguments and so that no one can consider that person unintelligent or of less capability?

So they can always be on top?
    No.

MBTI
    NFPI

The key to wisdom is always to listen to others and having the attitude to learn from others. That wont only make you more sympathetic to others but will earn you real knowledge as well.
    Wisely said, i would sign that one.

And i'm german, so now i should argue with you and say something self-opinionated, but nothing comes to my mind.
    Typologie auf deutsch: Typentest Persönlichkeitstest

WALMART

I understand what you're getting at. Im an entp, and yes, i learn to unmisinform myself in the future.