User Tag List

First 456

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Yeah...I think maybe you're a bit confused and defensive. Which is not a great place to be in when you're trying to make yourself understood.
    Can you expand on that?

Is it about consistancy?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Can you expand on that?

Is it about consistancy?
    1. I'm not sure that you understand what an "evolutionary dead end" is.

2. It seems to me that your "Sensor-bias Alert!" knee-jerk reaction means you're at risk of throwing out both baby and bath water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

1. I'm not sure that you understand what an "evolutionary dead end" is.
    I dont understand most things. But ive always thought it was to do with progress. Even though I paraphrased that person's theory it is actually close to what he said, he did use the term afterall.

That's why if we assume this theory to be proven and factual rather than merely heurestic, then his idea might have a point, because of the idea of innovation and striding forward with intuition rather than being held back by the senses.

2. It seems to me that your "Sensor-bias Alert!" knee-jerk reaction means you're at risk of throwing out both baby and bath water.
    I think I already did a long time ago.

There is afterall a rather unspoken rule in many peoples minds that

intuition = intelligence

and

sensing = stupidity.

I suppose im just a bit thick. But please dont mistake my intentions or motives, im not fighting against some uncomfortable truth, nor am I bothered or upset by the idea of being a sensing type and therefore less intelligent or perceptive to those things outside the sphere of the 5 senses of a human being.

I really was genuinely interested in what others thought of that idea. I suppose I should not have denigrated the character of the man whose idea it was. But...he really is a dick...ad hominem's be damned.

As for sensor-bias....couldnt give a fuck. I hated the PC nature of sites such as Perc where everything was perceived as an attack on sensors, just as much as any 'sensor-bias'.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Then I'd agree with you. If he said that he is an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    LII

Judging is a convergent process, focused on outcomes. Intuition is divergent, exploratory, focus-free. It does not ask "is this correct?" "Is it sensible?" It asks "what if?" and "where might this lead?"
    Well - I DID ask you to comment. What I didn't expect was that your comment would finally make me understand what intuition really was.

If I'm understanding you correctly there is a process whereby we make a decision. The process involves Sensing -> Intuition -> Judging. Maybe we can replace the word "intuition" with "deepening"? Our intuition can lead us to do many more iterations of sensing -> deepening because the deepening part of the process makes us realise we don't have enough information. Seems to me the judging process must be 2-step: 1) deciding that we are ready to decide :-) then, 2) Making a decision according to how we feel about things, or according to pure logic, *** or most likely some combination of the two ***

But whatever importance we attach to the deepening part of the process, we cannot assimilate information from outside with anything other than our 5 senses. NOW I understand why N types need S far more than S types need N. That particular insight becomes a kind of redundant tautology using the S -> D -> J model.

There's one further comment to make. There's something a little wrong with the MBTI model. S & N are not equivalent. The model works of course but the N/S dimension needs a few terminology tweaks.

Thank you Salome. Excellent stuff.
    Cognitive functions:
    Fi (95%); Ti (90%); Ne (75%); Fe (60%); Ni (50%); Si (50%); Te (15%); Se (5%)

"INFP values but INTP skills" describes me best of all