User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I've enountered people of every type who are prone to this sort of pseudointellectual piss contest nonsense. Ofc, every type's idea of what information is relevant to squirrel away is going to widely vary, based on factors such as subjective values, interests, cognitive processing, perceptions, & preconceptions.
    [et cetera]

I just gloss over it, let'm do their thing if that's what they require to feel secure in some way. Unless it interfered with actually accomplishing something, though- but that's a rule I tend to apply universally in life, anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Swivelinglight View Post
    This makes me wonder though.

If packers are packing knowledge for (assuming) the use to show off or be pretentious, how could they possibly understand when to "show off" this information?
    I think that varies from person to person. Those less socially retarded overall will be able to discern when it's appropriate to attempt to insert their impressive wisdom into a conversation. Some don't care if it's obvious and it more or less becomes another sort of display of bravado.

Surely to engage with others and mention or refer to bits of knowledge they don't understand would not work out. They'd use the terms incorrectly or at the wrong times or be flat out wrong in the topic they're conversing in.
    They may understand it, but I often find people like this don't have as firm a grasp on the information as they attempt to illustrate--- However, they still can pull off 'sounding smart' - which is the bluff they're hoping to use, in some situations.

Take for instance, someone generally interested in the same topic as the information hoarder- that individual strikes up a conversation about the mutual interest, sharing what general data they've learned about it-- only to be suffocated by the torrent of topic-related jargon spewing forth from the hoarder.

It's a no-contest scenario (oftentimes the other individual simply wants to share/compare notes- the notion of a contest at all doesn't cross their mind), & it's an immediate sort of 'one-upmanship' -- the sort of tactic used by someone who isn't interested in debate with others who may/not be as familiar [or more] with the material--- this type of person seeks an instant 'win,' placing the hoarder on a comparably high pedestal that won't likely be questioned by the parties present, thus boosting their frightened ego, & creating a cardboard shield of bs impressiveness.

I secretly enjoy listening to conversations of this nature that I might overhear among groups of strangers in a bar or diner. We sure do some silly stuff to feel 'safe.' [I've certainly got my own binds, so I suppose I'm not exempt, either]
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

lexicon wins this round.
    we fukin won boys

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    lexicon wins this round.
    Does that mean you lost?

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    lexicon wins this round.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Off-topic:

I'd like to thank this thread for my new user title.

Ginkgo

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvBGNXi1gXs&feature=relmfu"]THE COLLECTOR[/YOUTUBE]

Quote Originally Posted by Swivelinglight View Post
    This makes me wonder though.

If packers are packing knowledge for (assuming) the use to show off or be pretentious, how could they possibly understand when to "show off" this information?

Surely to engage with others and mention or refer to bits of knowledge they don't understand would not work out. They'd use the terms incorrectly or at the wrong times or be flat out wrong in the topic they're conversing in.
    This sort of thing happens all the time.

People are wrong a lot.

When a packer is wrong, its usually not a big deal for his framework of knowledge (there is no framework), though it may effect his ego. The "knowledge" he packed in his mind has failed to serve its social purpose.

When a mapper is wrong, this can be a big deal for her framework of knowledge (depending on how deeply embedded it is). Correcting a deeply embedded bit of knowledge usually means a process of re-mapping and re-learning and correcting errors in the mapping process itself.

Both reactions to being wrong can come off as pretentious.

When a packer is correct, it is a show of "prowess" in packing ability.

When a mapper is correct, although a validation of mapping ability, it is more a validation of the map itself.

Again, both reactions to being correct can come as being pretentious.

I realize this stuff sounds strange, and that I have not backed up my opinions with evidence (since, other those who read the Programmer's Stone or derivatives, "mapping" vs. "packing" is a strange distinction, few people use these categories, there is little research regarding this. However, there has been plenty of research that shows those that understand what is being taught retain information longer than those that memorize what is being taught.) This sort of thinking was implicitly incorporated into my thinking years before I started using these particular words for it, and even longer before I started valuing psychological research as much as I do now.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I know this is a derail, and I guess the mods can (or threadstarter can request) break this off for another thread, but this connection between ‘packing’ (rote, memorization and regurgitation) and ‘mapping’ (critical thinking?)- and packers being the ones who do it for one-up-manship and mappers learning for its own sake- doesn’t make sense to me. I’ve known plenty of people I would definitely consider rote, memorization type learners who don’t feel the least bit compelled to ‘win’ arguments for the sake of winning; and vice versa, I’ve known know-it-all ‘mappers’ who were unbearable. I'd be surprised if there's really a correlation.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

That's a combo of big ego + self esteem derived from being regarded as an intelligent person by other people. A bit En 3 oriented, if you ask me, but not necessarily.
    5s may have a lower need for external approval, but they still have a bigger amount of self esteem invested on feeling intelligent - and being regarded as intelligent by other people is certainly a factor.
    8s just want people to submit, and being regarded as knowledgeable sometimes helps.

As for my answer on the type that I believe is most pretentious based off anecdotal evidence, I'd have to agree with many in here and say my own type, ENTP.

I'm not sure if it's more or less worst for me to hear it than others, because I know so well what they're doing (after employing the tactics in my past).

I think it may not be as bad for people who don't engage with ENTP's much because it may come across as endearing rather than annoying in small doses.