User Tag List

12 Last

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Default Is it ever possible to change who you are?

Im not sure if this is relevant to MBTI so if moderators want, they can move this.

But ever since I was a child ive hated who I was and strove to be someone else in the hope that this would improve my life. Unfortunately as a more intelligent person might have realised, you tend to return back to your old habits instead. Oh not to mention that whole 'be who you are' thing which apparantly helps....

Essentially I saw my life as a nightmare akin to an endlessly repeated Barney the Dinosaur episode from the mid 90's.

However I did wonder if it was possible to actually change a mind; to delve in and uproot the habits of cognition. Is this possible?

Or does it just result in cognitive dissonance, identity problems and stress? As for MBTI, would some types have an easier job of achieving this than others?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

You can change who you are, but it doesn't come from a place of self criticism. It has to come from a place of truly loving and caring about the special human being that you are.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Instead of focusing on being someone else alltogether, focus on how to improve your own self. Therein lies the answer to true change. The former only causes stress/unhealthy behaviour.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Glycerine

I think it is. I have seen people change for the worse and keep struggling to get back to their true selves. It's an awkward limbo to be in. I think some people do it for what they perceive as self preservation... as a way to cope with things but then some never look for better ways.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Yes it is possible to change who you are, with the correct means and knowledge.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    I think it is. I have seen people change for the worse and keep struggling to get back to their true selves. It's an awkward limbo to be in.
    Yeah I think this is what I did to myself and was my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Instead of focusing on being someone else alltogether, focus on how to improve your own self. Therein lies the answer to true change. The former only causes stress/unhealthy behaviour.
    Hmm I suppose I have to agree because looking at it, it can only be the other option to the mistaken way ive been doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    You can change who you are, but it doesn't come from a place of self criticism. It has to come from a place of truly loving and caring about the special human being that you are.
    Yeah this was maybe my mistake.

So do you think that people can redefine who they are? To warp the balance of the mind into some completely different form? Might this explain how it is feasible that an MBTI, (for example), type would be different to another of the same type? Of course human variability assumes this anyhow, but there has to be a level of correlation and consistancy for these theories to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Yes it is possible to change who you are, with the correct means and knowledge.
    Is it possible to give an example?

Thank you for the answers everyone.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Yeah, and you'll find that the most uplifting people in life will help you to do that rather than defining you is such a way that is emotionally self-serving. It's a matter of if someone can relate to you and see themselves in you and you in themselves. Those types of people are the ones to look out for, because they will help you see yourself in a realistic sense from outside of yourself, but also in an idealized loving way at the same time. For example, if I had to guess.. I would say you remind me of how I used to feel when I thought others didn't accept/respect my passion. Because I thought this, I ended up fighting against myself for a long time rather than doing something I really cared about and would be good for my life and for the community. Perhaps I'm misreading this, I don't know but, I think you need to make a place in your life for little things that you enjoy that maybe no one else gets, but that YOU love. It doesn't have to be your career or anything, just a hobby to start but share it with other people who will appreciate it so you can feel like you're really being appreciated for who you really are.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Internally, I never thought I was changing much. Just exploring. In some ways, I still think I'm the same little kid I was when I was, say, 7 or 8.. (albeit with more life experiences). But from the outside, I've probably changed a lot. I've worn a lot of hats, donned different "labels", did things in my exploration that I'd never do now. I have friends who've known me through different stages and say they wish they had the "old me" back. I guess I was more exciting. But I'm past it, got what I could out of it. Internally though, I've never truly changed. They still do have the old me, if they just looked.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

partially. for instance, there are things that you are just hardwired to do that you cannot change. for instance
    - an NT is always going to need challenging problems to stimulate them
    - an NFP is always going to have strong values and convictions
    - a heterosexual is always going to be heterosexual and vice versa
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    So do you think that people can redefine who they are? To warp the balance of the mind into some completely different form? Might this explain how it is feasible that an MBTI, (for example), type would be different to another of the same type? Of course human variability assumes this anyhow, but there has to be a level of correlation and consistancy for these theories to make sense.
    Hmm... I think one can adjust perception and what elements one focuses on, and one can learn to look beyond their immediate reaction, or preference, and layer other aspects into their ultimate decision or perception.

But there are things I'll never be, naturally - I'm not a natural entertainer, story-teller, exhuberant person, talkative, entreprenuer, what have you. So in mbti terms, I'm never going to be an ESFP or ENTP, etc.

I'll always process things in a certain way, but I can expand my repertoire, and change my perceptions. So going from being more negative to more positive is possible. As is perceiving relationships or life in one way, and then shifting to looking at it another way. Starting to incorporate new elements into decisions/beliefs, which in turn influence choices and behaviors. Those sorts of things.

As far as one person of an mbti type being different from another of the same type, imo there are many aspects that can make that difference. Differences are based on how much one expands, and take risks, and is willing to look beyond their kneejerk responses; differing values and beliefs, fears, quirks, learned behaviors, differing fixed physical and intellectual raw capabilities (the genetic cards we're dealt with in life), etc.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ