• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni and Subjectivity

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
So I understand that Ni is mostly pushing away details to perceive the core idea behind something, the meaning behind the surface appearance. How is this subjective though? I understand how all the other introverted functions are except for Ni.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No clue...and I have it as an aux...so if you find out let me know ha ha

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Its like when there is a party or a large event, and everyone is having a genuine good time, but you detect something off. All the smiles and dancing aren't forced and no one is on edge, but you detect something awry. You follow your gut with an active receptivity and find that there is a bomb in the birthday cake. Good thing you shrugged off all the placating people who told you that you haven't drunk enough.

KDude

Its like when there is a party or a large event, and everyone is having a genuine good time, but you detect something off. All the smiles and dancing aren't forced and no one is on edge, but you detect something awry. You follow your gut with an active receptivity and find that there is a bomb in the birthday cake. Good thing you shrugged off all the placating people who told you that you haven't drunk enough.

Damn.. those thoughts creep up every once in awhile, but I just want to block them out. Some false alarms in the past, I guess. I don't trust my gut enough. I've had to deal with serious shit flying in my face, but I guess I'm OK with that. Outward madness seems more preferential than possible inner madness.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The submergence of subjective perception in living one's life. Because the Ni user lives in the symbolic aspect, without judgement the life becomes a numerous amount of symbolic entities only understandable to Ni user. It is subjective in the sense that it falls under the perception of the Ni individual.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's like one's own impressions of the core idea. It's more than just what it is, it's about what it represents and means to the person.

R

Riva

So I understand that Ni is mostly pushing away details to perceive the core idea behind something, the meaning behind the surface appearance. How is this subjective though? I understand how all the other introverted functions are except for Ni.

On the contrary Ni gathers details and interprets them unconsciously. They would constantly ask questions from themselves but unlike INTP would not formulate the answers but would simply let it come to them. Their strength is their ability to wait until the facts present them with an 'aha' moment.

Of course I do realize it was not the question you were asking but had to point out what I have observed of Ni doms when it comes to facts.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I know my Ni is extremely subjective and things that I perceive to be true may or may not be really true. Ni just thinks itself right all the time and mistakes it for objectivity :tongue:

R

Riva

I know my Ni is extremely subjective and things that I perceive to be true may or may not be really true. Ni just thinks itself right all the time and mistakes it for objectivity :tongue:

Ni conclusions are based on facts (picked by Se) are they not? Ni doesn't try to formulate answers therefore never asks itslef whether 'there is more?' More the facts, better the Ni and it changes its point of view from time to time (easily adaptable) when Se presents Ni with more facts.

So yes it is subj............

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
aggregating details not pushing them away. constantly weaving together algorithms. the world is your oyster.

Impact Calculus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5

There isn't a reason for it, it just is.

All introverted functions deal in the subjective; all extraverted deal in the objective.

All of the functions are subjective and instinctual, but we can still see much of how they work from the outside.

Knowing this, you then can break things down into:

What does objective perception mean?

What does subjective judgement mean?

etc, etc

Then all you have to do is distinguish Ti from Fi, etc.

EDIT:

So I suppose you could see how Ni is subjective by looking at introverted perception. One major part of this process is that subjective symbols are recalled; but not in a sensation kind of way, in an intuiting kind of way.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Ni conclusions are based on facts (picked by Se) are they not? Ni doesn't try to formulate answers therefore never asks itslef whether 'there is more?' More the facts, better the Ni and it changes its point of view from time to time (easily adaptable) when Se presents Ni with more facts.

So yes it is subj............

This explains why, in many ways, Ni dominate types need to get out and experience things a bit more so they can get a few more 'facts' to work on.

Ive wondered if Ni starts to stagnate if the person isn't progressing so it isn't fed new options and peters out?

Of course that could be said of any functional order....and of any type.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it's because it's not necessarily true. Without Te fidgeting with the sides of the Ni model, Ni is subjective because the thinking does not necesarilly point out anything that exists in the world. When you see a face in the cloud, others will just pass it off as a cloud. I think that explains it a bit.

Perception of perception itself.

This, essentially

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6

It gets eaaser to understand once you realise Ni isn't subjective because Ni doesn't encourage people to have opinions on maters of taste. It is, however, rooted in personal judgement. An strong Ni user may reach a conclusion as to haw something works, but we tend to be much slower descided if something is good or bad. That's why it is an irrational function - it is concerned with base reality more than the intelectual structures we build upon it. It's the Ji functions that deal with subjective opinions, whether it is technical worth (Ti) or social/emotional worth (Fi).

Incidentally, the extroverted functions are neither subjective nor objective - they are simply the urge to act based upon what the user believes to be true. It is the underlying beliefs, based in Ji, where the subjectivity lies. EJs are often unaware of their own subjectivity due to the inferior Ji.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
all introverted functions are subjective because they leave stuff out, thus creating an subjective view of something.

G

Ginkgo

The submergence of subjective perception in living one's life. Because the Ni user lives in the symbolic aspect, without judgement the life becomes a numerous amount of symbolic entities only understandable to Ni user. It is subjective in the sense that it falls under the perception of the Ni individual.

Makes sense.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
-Tangent - The other day I saw someone say that the function that they least liked was immature Ni....does anyone have an example of that? I just have an impression of Ni being labeled as "weird"...at least I label mine as that...Does that mean mine is immature?

Impact Calculus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
It gets eaaser to understand once you realise Ni isn't subjective because Ni doesn't encourage people to have opinions on maters of taste. It is, however, rooted in personal judgement. An strong Ni user may reach a conclusion as to haw something works, but we tend to be much slower descided if something is good or bad. That's why it is an irrational function - it is concerned with base reality more than the intelectual structures we build upon it. It's the Ji functions that deal with subjective opinions, whether it is technical worth (Ti) or social/emotional worth (Fi).

Incidentally, the extroverted functions are neither subjective nor objective - they are simply the urge to act based upon what the user believes to be true. It is the underlying beliefs, based in Ji, where the subjectivity lies. EJs are often unaware of their own subjectivity due to the inferior Ji.

According to jung, all of the functions live in the realm of the collective unconscious. That makes them all pretty subjective.

Although to better fill what you mean, jung defines the introverted attitude as subjective due it its relation with the object.

EDIT: Oh, you mean that kind of subjectivity. I thought you were using Jung's language. My bad.