User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I would say no to one specific soul mate in the universe. But I would say that each person is more compatible with some people than others. So one person could have several "soul mates"
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbone
    I do believe that there are people that will almost instantly bond, understand each other well, and have excellent communication between them. Sometimes it happens and love follows. Sometimes it happens and friendship follows. Or both.
    Both of these are along the lines of what I'd answer.

I'd also add that I have yet to be convinced (either from my own experience or observing other couples) that it's possible to have a pairing where every conceivable aspect of both people are fully connected and understood, without issue or some element of less-than-perfectness. I think that there will always be some aspect of disconnect and misunderstanding (and weighing of priorities/needs), with anyone.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Oh yes, i believe.
    I did read somewhere though, that we are supposed to stay away from our soulmates and that we attract them. The idea being lodged someplace in reincarnation. We attract people we have spent time with in past lives but we can not learn from them, so we must venture to meet persons we wouldn't usually feel naturally magnetised to. Was an interesting read, not sure how much weight i give it but i like the idea.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    Oh yes, i believe.
    I did read somewhere though, that we are supposed to stay away from our soulmates and that we attract them. The idea being lodged someplace in reincarnation. We attract people we have spent time with in past lives but we can not learn from them, so we must venture to meet persons we wouldn't usually feel naturally magnetised to. Was an interesting read, not sure how much weight i give it but i like the idea.
    Why do you like that idea? What is appealing about it, aside from the fantastical elements of that particular metaphysic?

It's just that it seems so counter-intuitive and, well, hair-brained that I can't even ignore the metaphysics and treat it like a metaphor containing some general nugget of wisdom. I mean, what would be the positive outcome of following the advice unless you truly believed the stuff about reincarnation?

Just curious.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Why do you like that idea? What is appealing about it, aside from the fantastical elements of that particular metaphysic?

It's just that it seems so counter-intuitive and, well, hair-brained that I can't even ignore the metaphysics and treat it like a metaphor containing some general nugget of wisdom. I mean, what would be the positive outcome of following the advice unless you truly believed the stuff about reincarnation?

Just curious.

Well i'm undecided on it, like many other things. I can certainly believe in reincarnation from a scientific perspective...stardust.

I like the idea of reincarnation (soul based) because it appeals to me (in a romantic sense) that we have a spiritual purpose, and that is quite beautiful.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Well i'm undecided on it, like many other things. I can certainly believe in reincarnation from a scientific perspective...stardust.

I like the idea of reincarnation (soul based) because it appeals to me (in a romantic sense) that we have a spiritual purpose, and that is quite beautiful.
    No, no, that's why I said aside from the metaphysic, because you could believe in reincarnation without the added stuff about having to avoid your "soul mate" because they're someone you had a relationship with in a past life.

I guess it's just the whole package of it that appeals to you, then?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

No, no, that's why I said aside from the metaphysic, because you could believe in reincarnation without the added stuff about having to avoid your "soul mate" because they're someone you had a relationship with in a past life.

I guess it's just the whole package of it that appeals to you, then?

I thought i covered what you were asking...i'm confused.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I thought i covered what you were asking...i'm confused.
    You didn't, but never mind.

The Iron Giant

Hang on a sec while I ruthlessly strip the formatting from this quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    I'm looking for patterns between type and beliefs about soulmates, and I was wondering if you would tell me whether you think there is such a thing as a "soulmate." Does that exist? How do you define a soulmate to begin with? For example, does finding your soulmate mean finding someone who you instantly and deeply understand or finding someone whose love for you is very intense...or both?
    I think the implication of a soulmate is that this is one person who was expressly "designed" to be with you, as in, their soul belongs with yours. Beyond this, I think it's supposed to be someone who is an ideal match for you in pretty much every way. I don't think it means much more than that. I have a difficult time imagining how such a thing would even be possible, as I don't believe in souls as a religious construct to begin with. Obviously there are people who are exceptionally well matched to each other. I could also imagine there is probably more to our existence than we perceive, and there may be something that persists after our body dies, but what that is and where it goes would be up for discussion. I am interested in the idea of reincarnation, and I think it's possible that people could recognize each other from a past life without necessarily knowing it was happening. All of this stuff is totally uncharted, so who knows.

Does everyone have a soulmate? Are you destined to find your soulmate or do you have to actively hunt for them?
    If there's only one person who's a perfect match for everyone, wouldn't that be kind of depressing? How many billions of people are on the planet now? What if your perfect match got hit by a bus or died while being born? I mean, one perfect person doesn't necessarily mean there aren't 3 million nearly perfect people on the planet who didn't die in a plane crash or something before showing up on your doorstep when their car runs out of gas on your street. I don't know how I feel about destiny.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

You didn't, but never mind.
    Well i was just remembering something specific that i read, i think it's in tune with the whole when it comes to ideas on reincarnation. Striving to learn lessons, purpose, searching.

I recall a thread about what each type seeks and this, something along the lines of:
    NT - Mindmates;
    NF - Soulmates;
    SP - Playmates;
    SJ - Workmates (?).
    maybe someone can find it.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.