User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you good at math?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • NTP yes

12 20.00%
  • NTJ yes

4 6.67%
  • NFP yes

15 25.00%
  • NFJ yes

7 11.67%
  • STP yes

3 5.00%
  • STJ yes

0 0%
  • SFP yes

2 3.33%
  • SFJ yes

0 0%
  • NTP no

3 5.00%
  • NTJ no

4 6.67%
  • NFP no

6 10.00%
  • NFJ no

3 5.00%
  • STP no

0 0%
  • STJ no

0 0%
  • SFP no

1 1.67%
  • SFJ no

0 0%
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    Well, i'm not sure what the benchmark is here...op, care to elaborate?
    Is it just peoples own perspectives of what good or bad is in maths or do you have an actual example to go by.
    I'm not naturally inclined if that is what you are asking...well i'm not drawn to it anyway...
    Though i am actually pretty good at it..if i work at it.
    Basic math i always found quite easy... things compute fairly quickly.
    Advanced math i do not have much experience of but i do grasp concepts quickly and when i have attempted to understand particular areas i could focus and learn without much fuss.
    I was mainly thinking of higher level calculus and beyond stuff. By good I meant "do you find it easy to excel in". I would not say I was good at math. In every other subject I was able to get to a point where I felt like I had "mastered" what we were learning. But with math I always felt like I was flying blind. I'd attempt to follow the steps but always felt unsure. I've never been a linear thinker so I was prOne to simple mistakes. I still typically got A's in math but t was a constant headache. The only subject where I felt the need to really work to learn.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I excelled in maths until I grew to age fifteen. My motivation to pursue it withered.
    The Symbol of the King*The Absolute Does Not Exist*Kingship Will Bring Me Freedom
    5w4-4w5-1w9

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Math was typically my strongest subject in school. I breezed right through it until I got to higher level mathematics like trigonometry and calculus and then I had to actually study for tests. Still did well in them with some effort. I don't think I ever got below a B in a math class. The only thing I truly found difficult in math was those formal proofs. In geometry we had to prove those theorems and I hated that. I intuitively knew it was true but had a hard time trying to 'prove' it.
    ANSIR typology calls that kind of intuition "Empathic thinking."

Those proofs by induction in geometry were pretty hard for me, but interesting after a while. Story problems were the hardest. Memorizing identities in trigonometry was just a pain, but doable. Yet I had a fun time memorizing the quadratic formula.

The bad thing about being an Empathic thinker is finding that math only gets more and more difficult as it rises above the intuitive level. The good thing is that, at least at the beginning of school, everybody thought we were geniuses at math.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    ANSIR typology calls that kind of intuition "Empathic thinking."

Those proofs by induction in geometry were pretty hard for me, but interesting after a while. Story problems were the hardest. Memorizing identities in trigonometry was just a pain, but doable. Yet I had a fun time memorizing the quadratic formula.

The bad thing about being an Empathic thinker is finding that math only gets more and more difficult as it rises above the intuitive level. The good thing is that, at least at the beginning of school, everybody thought we were geniuses at math.
    Funny, it seems like I'm the opposite, but I thought of my understanding as intuitive. Like I can look at a situation or something visual and intuitively see how math would apply- seeing proportions and measurements and patterns in my head. I can get a good idea of the big picture and general processes used to solve the problems, but actually solving them can be difficult.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

No. By fifth grade I was fantasizing about being in the swimming pool during math class.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Math was typically my strongest subject in school. I breezed right through it until I got to higher level mathematics like trigonometry and calculus and then I had to actually study for tests. Still did well in them with some effort. I don't think I ever got below a B in a math class. The only thing I truly found difficult in math was those formal proofs. In geometry we had to prove those theorems and I hated that. I intuitively knew it was true but had a hard time trying to 'prove' it.
    I was better at geometry than algebra, lol.

I'm really good at math except the more difficult parts of algebra. I end up getting really confused. But I am extremely good at mental math and geometry.

MBTI
    STUF

I enjoy math, but I'm terrible at it and I get frustrated when I can't figure something out.

I've been working on teaching myself some through books and talking to other people, and if there is anything I've learned it's that math is actually just really hard, even if you're "gifted" at performing calculations, it takes a lot of work.
    Whoops.

Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp

i use to be pretty nifty with algebra, but there's not much point in math for me, apart from maybe stats...and some arithmetic/logic for programming.
    Myers-Briggs: xsFP

Enneagram: 9?-4wX?-5/6

~ People don't think it be like it is, but it do. ~

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    even if you're "gifted" at performing calculations, it takes a lot of work.
    Definitely. The greater the gift, the more potential we have. The more potential we have, the more we have to work. Curses!