User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you good at math?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • NTP yes

12 20.00%
  • NTJ yes

4 6.67%
  • NFP yes

15 25.00%
  • NFJ yes

7 11.67%
  • STP yes

3 5.00%
  • STJ yes

0 0%
  • SFP yes

2 3.33%
  • SFJ yes

0 0%
  • NTP no

3 5.00%
  • NTJ no

4 6.67%
  • NFP no

6 10.00%
  • NFJ no

3 5.00%
  • STP no

0 0%
  • STJ no

0 0%
  • SFP no

1 1.67%
  • SFJ no

0 0%
First 1234 Last

Me and math [read school] always had a shaky relationship, mostly because I just never cared enough about it, so just as long as I could wing it, all was fine. It wasn't until I decided to apply to college to an engineering degree that I had to actually put effort into studying for finishing my HS math and the admission exam. Once in college, the entire previous math curriculum had to be not only revised but mastered in order to build on top, and I found that it wasn't so much the subject per se but the amount of effort put into it, and in engineering , at some point it just becomes part of one's natural reasoning tool belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I kinda thought matrix algebra in undergrad was the coolest thing ever. /nerd
    ^+1. Also, Calculus - differential equations and integrals - are pretty cool once you grasp the concept, specially the latter, as I am a very visual learner and I find all geometry-like solving methods very appealing and interesting/having great potential.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I really don't know what to vote, so I won't, I'll just comment...

I've always excelled at math, but I've never really liked it, which led to an interesting situation. I can pick up mathematical concepts pretty quickly, and it is rarely difficult to understand or use, but I rarely if ever practice, so my skill is lower than a lot of people's. I don't know, I'm not a mathematician, but I'm not terrible either. So, I guess I fall somewhere between voting options. Not good, not bad.

I ended up stopping around single variable calculus, which is where I got to the point where I couldn't continue without a decent amount of practicing what I learned, and like I said, I don't like to practice math.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I was really good at math in school, but didn't need much of it in college. I blew through up through precalc and AP statistics in highschool but based on my interests for college, they didn't think I needed to go any farther. I should have done it just for fun/ GPA help. I don't know if I was really good at it or I just enjoyed it, I took my time on the problems and found my own ways to figure them out..Skipped a grade in math after sixth grade. My teachers wanted me to join math team but..... HOW GEEKY!!!!!!!! ahh! no way. Anyway, I've been out of math for a really long time so would need some refreshers if I had to go back. I remember liking the geometry/trig "If, than" questions the best. During times when we were just sitting quietly in class and problem solving, a couple of my teachers actually just had me wander around and help other people. Looking back, that's really nerdy too but I was so happy and proud!

(I wanted to do psych/soc/ marketing/ or graphic design at the time so no physics or calc for me!)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Math is very easy. 1+1=2

See? Simple.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    SEE

Yes... though it didn't exactly feel that way while I was taking calc.

Disclaimer: I went to a STEM-oriented high school where Calculus AB was considered the "dumb math".
    ISTP 3w2 SX/SO

NPcomplete

Yes, if I may say so myself.

I have a thing for differential equations and mathematical modelling but, in general, applied math is *sigh* + .

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI

I'm good at math. I can solve pretty complicated algebraic problems in my head, although I sometimes need a calculator or a piece of scrap paper to do the more complicated multiplication and division parts of problems. The only thing I don't like about math classes is school is when you're required to show your work (meaning write down each step of solving a problem, which is extremely tedious).

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I'm decent at math when I have online classes and I can see exactly how the problems are worked out. However, I suck at paper-pencil math.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Math was typically my strongest subject in school. I breezed right through it until I got to higher level mathematics like trigonometry and calculus and then I had to actually study for tests. Still did well in them with some effort. I don't think I ever got below a B in a math class. The only thing I truly found difficult in math was those formal proofs. In geometry we had to prove those theorems and I hated that. I intuitively knew it was true but had a hard time trying to 'prove' it.
    I'm the same up until the geometric proofs part. I never had any problems in math and only had to put in a minimal effort to maintain decent grades, but I actually enjoyed geometric proofs (whereas I couldn't give two shits about any of the other shit.) They were more like little puzzles and less like the lame ass work that we usually had to do.

I fucking hated my college calculus courses, but I liked my mathematical logic classes that were offered through the philosophy department.

As far as tips, I am middle-of-the-road at that kind of low-level computation.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Runner up in national contest for 7th graders. Population of 5M.

ENTx.