User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Default Cousin Philosophy and MBTI

Was reading Fredrick Copleston's A history of philospohy and came across this when he was describing the electic philosoher Cousin:

"Accourding to Cousin, reflection on the history of philosophy reveals that there are four basic types of system, which are 'the fundamental elements of all philospohy'. In the first place there is sensualism, the philospohy 'which relies exclusively on the senes'. Then there is Idealism, which finds reality in the realm of thought. Thirdly there is the philospohy of common sense. And in the fourth place there is mysticism, which turns its back on the senses and takes refuge in interiority. Each of these systems or types of systems contains some truth, but no one of them contains the whole truth or is uniquely true. For example, the philospohy of sensation must obviously express some truth, as sensibility is a real aspect of man. It is not however the whole of man. In regard therefore to the basic kinds of system we have to be careful 'not to reject any one, and not to be the dupe of any of them."

Sounds suspiciously MBTI right?!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

*Sounds suspiciously like Kiersey.
    The temperament SP/SJ/NF/NT system is his, as far as I know. It is associated with MBTI, but it can be controversial.

But I do see the connection
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

ENFP. 7w6 – 4w3 – 1w9 sx/so. Aries. Dilettante. Overly anxious optimist.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

It is not unthinkable that two people can come up with similar ideas.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If you read Please Understand Me II, Keirsey lists out all the philosophies back to the Greeks and Romans which talks about the four humors, different personalities, etc.

There's nothing suspicious about it.

Jung created this, but he created it from studying world mythology, and tying together the ideas that all cultures have underlying mythologies, and there's 16 types of people (though he only identified the first and final function). Then Myers-Briggs developed their own system, and Keirsey his.

No one is stealing anything. There are even Jungian analysts like Beebe, etc.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I wasnt trying to imply that anyone stole for anyone. It was just interesting that some one has made similar observations. So the use of 'suspicious' was .... not a joke..... But meant to be light hearted. Hence the double quotation marks (I don't play fast and loose with punctuation). Based on this and other posts I guess I can conclude that my attempts at humor don't translate.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I wasnt trying to imply that anyone stole for anyone. It was just interesting that some one has made similar observations. So the use of 'suspicious' was .... not a joke..... But meant to be light hearted. Hence the double quotation marks (I don't play fast and loose with punctuation). Based on this and other posts I guess I can conclude that my attempts at humor don't translate.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Was reading Fredrick Copleston's A history of philospohy and came across this when he was describing the electic philosoher Cousin:

"Accourding to Cousin, reflection on the history of philosophy reveals that there are four basic types of system, which are 'the fundamental elements of all philospohy'. In the first place there is sensualism, the philospohy 'which relies exclusively on the senes'. Then there is Idealism, which finds reality in the realm of thought. Thirdly there is the philospohy of common sense. And in the fourth place there is mysticism, which turns its back on the senses and takes refuge in interiority. Each of these systems or types of systems contains some truth, but no one of them contains the whole truth or is uniquely true. For example, the philospohy of sensation must obviously express some truth, as sensibility is a real aspect of man. It is not however the whole of man. In regard therefore to the basic kinds of system we have to be careful 'not to reject any one, and not to be the dupe of any of them."

Sounds suspiciously MBTI right?!
    What about the philosophy that one should alternate between the philosophies so one does not get stuck in one?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    What about the philosophy that one should alternate between the philosophies so one does not get stuck in one?
    Development of you cognitive functions?

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Development of you cognitive functions?
    I think of it more as developing tools that help you cope and later thrive under stimuli that previously was stressful. Don't think about cognitive functions too much. They can be confused with your identity and lead to isolation from non-harmful and in fact positive life experiences because "I am not good in that sort of situation/with that sort of thing." You're pretty bright though so I don't see you having this problem Just remember, fear can often point to desires that you have that you're unaware of. It's a sign that you're pushing your personal boundaries and are stepping into the unknown. While it can be overwhelming, in moderate amounts it is quite healthy and is the impetus for growth.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I think of it more as developing tools that help you cope and later thrive under stimuli that previously was stressful. Don't think about cognitive functions too much. They can be confused with your identity and lead to isolation from non-harmful and in fact positive life experiences because "I am not good in that sort of situation/with that sort of thing." You're pretty bright though so I don't see you having this problem Just remember, fear can often point to desires that you have that you're unaware of. It's a sign that you're pushing your personal boundaries and are stepping into the unknown. While it can be overwhelming, in moderate amounts it is quite healthy and is the impetus for growth.
    I agree with you. That's very good advice. When i said 'development of cognitive functions' I was including the ones that aren't used by my type.