User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cousin Philosophy and MBTI

Senior Member Array UniqueMixture's Avatar
    378 sx/so

Mhmm.. I meant I think there are more cognitive functions than the cognitive functions proposed within mbti
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    What about the philosophy that one should alternate between the philosophies so one does not get stuck in one?
    Thing is, some philosophies are at odds with each other. Because of this, alternating between them is probably a little insane. Jung's functions have these aspects to them, making true willful alternation somewhat questionable because it wouldn't provide the mind with much coherency.

That said, I think there's a merit to these types being a representation of a mold that is sculpted slowly over time. Only with enough pain and loss would someone be willing to mold their mind into a philosophy that is completely different from who they previously were.

I believe the transition is a painful one and the use of the types was intended to help us understand each other in order that we could avoid that having to occur. But sure, some types could also be argued to be very similar and not in opposition, making alternation coherent.

/2 cents

Besides the Greeks, I think this electicism was indirectly touched on in the east too. The Buddha's early investigation into finding meaning in his life was one of through sensuality, then complete austerity and mysticism, etc.. His moment of enlightenment, why he was called "buddha" was when he balanced the two (I think the popular view is that Buddha's austerity was the "enlightened" stage, but it wasn't. It was when he got back involved in life). So in a way, these ideas are universal, just spoken of in different ways.

5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Mhmm.. I meant I think there are more cognitive functions than the cognitive functions proposed within mbti
    Ahhhhhh. Yes, mbti is not the end all be all.