User Tag List

123 Last

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Default Cognitive Functions- where does the common concept of "intuition" fit in?

The word intuition as used outside of MBTI can mean a number of things. It is how we perceive the world beyond our 5 senses, and also a combination of all of them. It is what our unconscious mind processes and sends to our consciousness for analysis.

Extroverted, we take in information from the environment. Introverted, we use a synthetic process to assimilate all of our stored information and extrapolate from the data.

But intuition can become confused with feeling. If you separate emotion from "feeling," how is it different from intuition? Fi can be "I feel like this is true," but Ni can also think this way. And Fi can tell you to do something for unexplainable reasons, but can "intuition"? Such as, I had a "feeling" I should go to the store today and not tomorrow, and found an item I needed on sale. Then something happened the next day to where I wouldn't have been able to go to the store. Or, I had a feeling I should take the main roads instead of the interstate and later found out there was a big traffic jam or a car wreck. Maybe it is your intuition telling you to stay out of a dangerous situation. If you let your intuition guide you this way, what function/s are you using?

My question is: how does the common usage of the word intuition fit into the CF framework?

Expect me to edit this post to make it more clear.

*Mods: If this thread could be in a better place, feel free to move it. I didn't see one specifically for CF's.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    The word intuition as used outside of MBTI can mean a number of things. It is how we perceive the world beyond our 5 senses, and also a combination of all of them. It is what our unconscious mind processes and sends to our consciousness for analysis.

Extroverted, we take in information from the environment. Introverted, we use a synthetic process to assimilate all of our stored information and extrapolate from the data.

But intuition can become confused with feeling. If you separate emotion from "feeling," how is it different from intuition? Fi can be "I feel like this is true," but Ni can also think this way. And Fi can tell you to do something for unexplainable reasons, but can "intuition"? Such as, I had a "feeling" I should go to the store today and not tomorrow, and found an item I needed on sale. Then something happened the next day to where I wouldn't have been able to go to the store. Or, I had a feeling I should take the main roads instead of the interstate and later found out there was a big traffic jam or a car wreck. Maybe it is your intuition telling you to stay out of a dangerous situation. If you let your intuition guide you this way, what function/s are you using?

My question is: how does the common usage of the word intuition fit into the CF framework?

Expect me to edit this post to make it more clear.

*Mods: If this thread could be in a better place, feel free to move it. I didn't see one specifically for CF's.
    Common language says "feeling" when it really means "intuition."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Yes. So, which CF is this intuition? Is it Ni which might tell you to do something unexplainable for your best interest?

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

So you are sorta asking how Ni is different than Fi, no?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Jedi master's sense skill trumps clone trooper's sneak skill!

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    So you are sorta asking how Ni is different than Fi, no?
    I guess. I mean they could both apply to "My intuition told me to do X," and I really want to know which one.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Also I would see introverted intuition as looking into your own unconscious mind and seeing what thoughts and feeling lie there, but some might say that's Fi. But it could be Ni connecting to Fi and then sending it to Ti.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Yeah, it's a good question. I'll have to ponder it.

On the surface, I think Ni processes a lot of different variables incoming in various forms, to try to find the one best truth or explanation. And Fi is more personal and subjective. I think it is the most subjective function, and strictly concerned with pure feeling, regardless of whether that feeling is felt for one brief moment in time, or is a recurrent theme. Fi's only motivation, I guess, is to fully consider a feeling, or the get to the heart of a feeling-state. Fi users can use this on others when proficient, and in a healthy frame of mind.

What do you think?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Also I would see introverted intuition as looking into your own unconscious mind and seeing what thoughts and feeling lie there, but some might say that's Fi. But it could be Ni connecting to Fi and then sending it to Ti.
    Ni Fi Ti? That makes you an INTJ/INFP/INTP, INTP being the balancing point and your overall type.

Of course that is based on my tritype theory which most experts would say is bogus, so idk.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Yes. So, which CF is this intuition? Is it Ni which might tell you to do something unexplainable for your best interest?
    Yes.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”