• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cognitive Functions- where does the common concept of "intuition" fit in?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How do you settle on the INTP as the balancing point?

Because if Ti is dominant, it is the center of operation. When INFP mode comes up and Fi shows itself, Ni steps in to sense it and feed it to Ti. Ni balances Fi and Ti. In INTP our information gathering function is Ne. But if you have information coming from within, Fi, you need an introverted perception (information gathering) function. Si also does this in different situations. I actually think I'm more INTJ than INFP.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Cool. I guess I use it a lot then. But probably not more than Ne. Hmm...INTX or INFJ...

Fi is going to be used most often, assuming a fairly healthy environment, with an extraverted irrational function, Ne or Se. So, it's unlikely that you'd use Ni with Fi very often, because you'd want to naturally defer to your most differentiated function.

If you got into transcendental states where you were introverting much, then yeah, I could see that your Fi would bend your N to an introverted attitude, but that would again, be more personal, not used to much for your external world or those around you, I'd think.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In comparing ourselves, this could mean that we are different types, or it could mean that we are the same type (if you are INTP) and just developed differently and in different life situations. I have had to work to trust my intuition as much as I do. I've always followed it for survival though. Developing my intuition and psychic ability has been part of my Wiccan training. Everyone in our group has had to develop this function. So I'm saying pagans are different from the average person.

Using that reasoning, I would be an Ni-dominant who lost faith in it somewhere. Because as a child I can remember being very Ni, in that I didn't think NOT to trust my intuition. It wouldn't occur to me not to trust it.

That's one reason why at one point on this forum I stated I was an INFJ as a child. The response I got here was "you obviously don't understand Jung." Maybe not, but I do have a history, a good memory, and a reason to believe that I was no INTP child. And then I read about the INTP child in LifeTypes and it didn't fit me at all. The INTP child prefers to read books over playing with friends. That was not me. I did like books, I read encyclopedias we had on the shelf. But if friends wanted to play chances were very high that I would switch to that activity.

When you say you developed your intuition in accordance with Wiccan practices, the question is how much of it did you have beforehand. So that's not something that stands in comparison to my experience, only yours.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Because if Ti is dominant, it is the center of operation. When INFP mode comes up and Fi shows itself, Ni steps in to sense it and feed it to Ti. Ni balances Fi and Ti. In INTP our information gathering function is Ne. But if you have information coming from within, Fi, you need an introverted perception (information gathering) function. Si also does this in different situations. I actually think I'm more INTJ than INFP.

I don't really think functions work like that so much myself. I think functions work in pairs rational/irrational:introverted/extraverted.

But thanks for the explanation.

:smile:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think Fe and Ni both do this which is probably people think INFJs may seem almost "psychic" but in truth, according to Jung, it's the SPs (and I think SFPs more than STP) which are more likely to attribute "magical" qualities to their Ni, because as a tertiary or inferior function, it may come across as some kind of poorly understood flash of insight that seems to come from elsewhere, or it may lead to very strong beliefs about knowing the real motives of a person or organization, leading to conspiracy theories or paranoia. I think ISTPs are known to be conspiracy theorists.

I think this is where Keirsey way oversimplified SPs into believing in "luck" because SPs tend to attribute magical meaning to physical objects, actually projecting meaning on to superstitious things like lucky rabbit's feet or "bad omens" of walking under a ladder, or whatever. This is also why an SPs religious behavior can lean so much toward the pagan or the tribal, because their Ni is so tied to their preference for Se.

That being said, types with Ni are probably likely to "just know" things (or think they do) and types with Fe are most likely to be able "sense" other people's feelings, for example, and have a heightened awareness of sending and receiving emotion and "reading into" the likes, dislikes, wants, and needs of loved ones...perhaps more than they even know their own.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't really think functions work like that so much myself. I think functions work in pairs rational/irrational:introverted/extraverted.

But thanks for the explanation.
:smile:

So when I write TiSi, I'm not literally saying that's my type. It implies that I am INTP and ISTJ. Si works with an extraverted judging function, it doesn't work with Ti.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Using that reasoning, I would be an Ni-dominant who lost faith in it somewhere. Because as a child I can remember being very Ni, in that I didn't think NOT to trust my intuition. It wouldn't occur to me not to trust it.

That's one reason why at one point on this forum I stated I was an INFJ as a child. The response I got here was "you obviously don't understand Jung." Maybe not, but I do have a history, a good memory, and a reason to believe that I was no INTP child. And then I read about the INTP child in LifeTypes and it didn't fit me at all. The INTP child prefers to read books over playing with friends. That was not me. I did like books, I read encyclopedias we had on the shelf. But if friends wanted to play chances were very high that I would switch to that activity.

When you say you developed your intuition in accordance with Wiccan practices, the question is how much of it did you have beforehand. So that's not something that stands in comparison to my experience, only yours.

Interesting. I don't really know how much of it I had beforehand. I had strong intuition with some psychic ability; I was more developed than the average person, and now I am a lot more. I mean you say you don't really trust it because of your Ti, and I was saying I used to kind of do that as well I think.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
In comparing ourselves, this could mean that we are different types, or it could mean that we are the same type (if you are INTP) and just developed differently and in different life situations. I have had to work to trust my intuition as much as I do. I've always followed it for survival though. Developing my intuition and psychic ability has been part of my Wiccan training. Everyone in our group has had to develop this function. So I'm saying pagans are different from the average person.

This makes you sound like an ISxP.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think Fe and Ni both do this which is probably people think INFJs may seem almost "psychic" but in truth, according to Jung, it's the SPs (and I think SFPs more than STP) which are more likely to attribute "magical" qualities to their Ni, because as a tertiary or inferior function, it may come across as some kind of poorly understood flash of insight that seems to come from elsewhere, or it may lead to very strong beliefs about knowing the real motives of a person or organization, leading to conspiracy theories or paranoia. I think ISTPs are known to be conspiracy theorists.

I think this is where Keirsey way oversimplified SPs into believing in "luck" because SPs tend to attribute magical meaning to physical objects, actually projecting meaning on to superstitious things like lucky rabbit's feet or "bad omens" of walking under a ladder, or whatever. This is also why an SPs religious behavior can lean so much toward the pagan or the tribal, because their Ni is so tied to their preference for Se.

That being said, types with Ni are probably likely to "just know" things (or think they do) and types with Fe are most likely to be able "sense" other people's feelings, for example, and have a heightened awareness of sending and receiving emotion and "reading into" the likes, dislikes, wants, and needs of loved ones...perhaps more than they even know their own.

Cool information!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting. I don't really know how much of it I had beforehand. I had strong intuition with some psychic ability; I was more developed than the average person, and now I am a lot more. I mean you say you don't really trust it because of your Ti, and I was saying I used to kind of do that as well I think.

Ni for me has been reduced to an internal whisper in my ear that rarely functions anymore. Ti doesn't have a chance to recognize it, that would take some practice. But I am quite capable of changing modes if I have to. For example, my Ti combines well with Se, especially in certain circumstances. That's ESTP. I'm not an ESTP, but I can act like the description sometimes. Ti would have a hard time combining with Ni because they are such disparate functions - mystical versus rational. If Ni was stronger I would have to literally keep them separate.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
So Fi tells you to act on Ni? Then wouldn't they always go together? They aren't in INFJ.

Fi doesn't have to direct Ni...any J function can.
Like you've asked, Fi and Ni can be confusing to identify. According to the theory- NTJs and SFPs would have Fi and Ni working together.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ni for me has been reduced to an internal whisper in my ear that rarely functions anymore. Ti doesn't have a chance to recognize it, that would take some practice. But I am quite capable of changing modes if I have to. For example, my Ti combines well with Se, especially in certain circumstances. That's ESTP. I'm not an ESTP, but I can act like the description sometimes. Ti would have a hard time combining with Ni because they are such disparate functions - mystical versus rational. If Ni was stronger I would have to literally keep them separate.

Hm, maybe it's the other way around sometimes then and Fi comes in to balance Ti and Ni.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Fi doesn't have to direct Ni...any J function can.
Like you've asked, Fi and Ni can be confusing to identify. According to the theory- NTJs and SFPs would have Fi and Ni working together.

Yeah Fi would direct Ni in an ISFP.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because you had to work to trust your intuition.

Kind of. I think my S functions balance all my N and F and T because they are so far out there I would be totally ungrounded otherwise. So in a way I've had to work to stay in touch with my senses too. I dunno, I'm complicated. Good observation.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That kind of makes sense.

Although me and you agree about your tritype, if you had to pick between SFP and NTJ, the latter is clearly a better choice in my opinion.