• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A question to all Ne dominants (ENFP/ENTP) or anyone that knows about Ne!

Mitsuko Souma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
I posted this question in a different thread but since the question seemed to have stemmed off the original topic; I decided to make my own thread that will hopefully end up helping me to answer this question.

I am an INTP (Ti-Ne-Si-Fe) and even though my Ne is a secondary function I believe that I have trouble utilizing it and using it in a constructive manner. My question is how do I go about doing that? Any input would be appreciated; thanks.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I posted this question in a different thread but since the question seemed to have stemmed off the original topic; I decided to make my own thread that will hopefully end up helping me to answer this question.

I am an INTP (Ti-Ne-Si-Fe) and even though my Ne is a secondary function I believe that I have trouble utilizing it and using it in a constructive manner. My question is how do I go about doing that? Any input would be appreciated; thanks.

Check out this thread on exercising different cognitive functions, it show give you an idea how you can develop your Ne. It appears that you are in a Ti<Si loop...

http://www.personalitynation.com/jungian-cognitive-functions/538-how-exercise-your-different-cognitive-functions.html

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I believe that I have trouble utilizing it and using it in a constructive manner. My question is how do I go about doing that? Any input would be appreciated; thanks.

Ehh, Ne is pretty much chaos. I don't see how one can utilize it constructively.

You have an idea and *poppoppoppop* go all the angles and relative ideas into your mind. I don't think it is something you can focus specifically.

Maybe it's just that it comes natural to me though. But are you really sure you don't use it?

Mitsuko Souma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
Ehh, Ne is pretty much chaos. I don't see how one can utilize it constructively.

You have an idea and *poppoppoppop* go all the angles and relative ideas into your mind. I don't think it is something you can focus specifically.

Maybe it's just that it comes natural to me though. But are you really sure you don't use it?
Its not that I don't use it per say. I don't doubt the fact that Ne is a secondary function for me. I just wish I could learn how to use it in a more constructive manner.

Permabanned
You don't use Ne by thinking about it, as counter-intuitive as it may seem. Ne works on it's own when you get new data/objects from the world, by noticing patterns and making associations to related concepts/systems/ideas/objects previously experienced/or noticed. When you find your mind doing this side-tracking thing [like going on unrelated tangents during a lecture] that's Ne at work.

If you want to practice this exercise, as a Ti-dom, you'll need to resist filtering/hindering Ne down by not rushing to judging it's output [often wild ideas], the more you allow it to flow - allowing yourself to entertain silly ideas for example, is a good exercise, the more you can grasp the concept so you can try to direct it at will.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, it helps if it's about subjects that you're interested in. I find that if I think about something I really enjoy thinking about, my Ne gets supercharged. When it's about a subject I don't care much for however, it doesn't tend to deliver as well.

But yeah, like [MENTION=6723]phobik[/MENTION] said, it's something that basicly just happens.

Mitsuko Souma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
You don't use Ne by thinking about it, as counter-intuitive as it may seem. Ne works on it's own when you get new data/objects from the world, by noticing patterns and making associations to related concepts/systems/ideas/objects previously experienced/or noticed. When you find your mind doing this side-tracking thing [like going on unrelated tangents during a lecture] that's Ne at work.
Are you implying that there is no way if you will to utilize it; that Ne just "happens?"

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you implying that there is no way if you will to utilize it; that Ne just "happens?"

Hmm, yeah, I think trying to force-focus it is counterproductive. You can let it run for longer times by juggling an idea in your head for a longer time. But concentration does not seem to improve it's ability for me. In fact, my Ne seems to work best when I'm getting a bit sleep deprived. Or maybe that's because I won't be as good at using my Ti to filter out the unNeccesaries, resulting in my Ne to surface more visibly.

Permabanned

Not until you grasp how it works yourself. You can just be given pointers of what it does so you can recognize it working and later try to feed whichever process you've noticed within yourself.

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
[MENTION=14543]Mitsuko Souma[/MENTION]
Open your mind. Really try to push the envelope of what you think is possible. Let all judgements and fears holding back possibilities go away. Put yourself in situations that force you to expand your mind. Try new things. Don't reject ANYTHING. Put yourself outside your comfort zone.

Mitsuko Souma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
[MENTION=14543]Mitsuko Souma[/MENTION]
Open your mind. Really try to push the envelope of what you think is possible. Let all judgements and fears holding back possibilities go away. Put yourself in situations that force you to expand your mind. Try new things. Don't reject ANYTHING. Put yourself outside your comfort zone.
Interesting piece of advice.... how to do that though? :/

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You have to use it to associate FUN with work!

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This post here

If you want to practice this exercise, as a Ti-dom, you'll need to resist filtering/hindering Ne down by not rushing to judging it's output [often wild ideas], the more you allow it to flow - allowing yourself to entertain silly ideas for example, is a good exercise, the more you can grasp the concept so you can try to direct it at will.

It sounds kind of weird but you just let your mind associate things with other things freely. You walk into a mall, you see youngins crowded outside a shop and infer it probably has something to do with Mr Bieber himself stacked 500 times in front of every other CD. You go closer and see his face everywhere like you inferred, yep, just a sellout music shop, etc

Ne is like expanding on thoughts and seeing new opportunities once you combine and infer them. Ne also cures cancer once worked out frequently (aka bieber fever).

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Work can get you many fun things, but you need other skillsets to maximize them all simultaneously

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Try mind mapping as a game to develop Ne:

mindmapping-goals.jpg

You start with a topic, and allow yourself to wonder about the possibilities it holds. No organizing, no systematizing, just gathering, like in a big basket. No logically sorting through it, just..gathering. As you do, you write it down in a mind map. As you can tell, the mind map isn't organized at all, it's a burst of ideas, connected to the subject, and to each other, in a seemingly chaotic way.

Once you're utterly spent on what ideas the topic might still yield, THEN you can use Ti to cull the herd, so to speak, and judge which ideas are worth keeping and which aren't. Those that do not contribute to Ti's internal system however, can still be fun in and of itself, and you'll find that ENTPs often play with these ideas, because of their absurdity or even because they actually are an affront to Ti. The irony and amusement this yields is often experienced as playfully entertaining and teasing the mind.

One last note: I feel it's important for a Ti-dom that you go back to the original topic. Yes, you can elaborate on one particular 'branch' and that in itself can spawn a new mind map in a Ne-dom, but with a Ti-dom, you run the risk of them building a logical system in that branch, rather than just gathering the ideas, which is a subtle temptation for you boys/gals ;)

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Could you use it (Ne) combined with Si and then think with your Ti about if the result will be constructive before sharing with others.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

You didn't read that thread at all did you? It says:

To experience Extraverted Intuition:

• "The Caption Game." Get a pile of drawings, but not intentionally funny cartoons. A large deck of Tarot cards is ideal. Put the pile face down and turn up one drawing. Think of a caption for the drawing by imagining something outside the picture, which changes the meaning of what's inside. Say the caption aloud, and move on to the next drawing. For example, if it's really a picture of a Scotty dog sniffing at a suitcase, your caption might be "Sorry, ma'am, I'll have to open the suitcase before I can let you on the plane." See how many completely different captions for each cartoon you can come up with. Try to think of at least three. "Pack your bags, Laika, you're going to test new satellite!" (in Russian accent). "Toto, we're going back to Kansas!" Some of your captions might be funny, but don't try to be funny. Non-funny captions are just fine.

• "The Drawing Game." For this, you need at least two people. One person draws something small on a large piece of paper--something quick, which you can draw in a few seconds. The next person draws something in the remaining space, which somehow relates to it, so both objects make sense as a picture. You can add lines to what's already there, but you can never erase a line once it's drawn. Back and forth you go, filling in more and more of the picture, letting it develop into something that neither of you envisioned when you started. At some point, you give the picture an appropriate title, and you're done. If you can't draw well, it's OK to say out loud what you intended your drawing to depict. For example, person A draws the face of a clock. Person B draws a grandfather clock shape around it. A draws an old-fashioned teller cage nearby. B draws a man with a bandanna over his face, holding a gun. It's a bank robbery!

Philosorapteuse

right on the left wing
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm inclined to agree with previous posters that Ne is something just just... happens. Possibly the best way to "make it be productive" is to put yourself in situations where it's useful. Crises. Problem solving. Creative work. When you need new angles and new ideas, Ne is your bestest friend.