• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cognitive Functions: What happens without one of them?

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was wondering...I just realized I have an easier time understanding what something IS or how it WORKS by seeing the effects of it being taken out of the system. So it led me to ask this: What would life be like for a person who was very undeveloped in a certain cognitive function? How would it affect their lives? What would they be unable to do?

Like...how would someone be if they lacked Fi? How would someone be if they lacked Te? Si? etc. with all the other cognitive functions?

Mike5609

MBTI Type
INTP
The red-text links at the foot of http://www.personalitypage.com/html/personal.html take you to a page for each of the MBTI Types. These pages include a section "Potential Problem Areas", about a third of the way down, that indicate the effects of an underdeveloped Secondary.

To bring it to life, you need to identify a real-life example with someone near and dear to you!

Take for example the ESFJ: 'classic' ESFJ is well summarised in the warm, friendly, concerned, supportive description under "What does Success mean to an ESFJ?" at the top of the page. The deficient-S ESFJ is described under the heading "Potential Problem Areas" about a third of the way down the page. Note, for example, the words "spiteful ... intractable ... oblivious ... cut off others". There would seem to be some correlation here with the attributes of the polar-opposite Shadow Type that can erupt under severe stress. Deficient-Secondary behaviour seems though to be more a case of a vicious circle of chronic, low-grade stress due to life/ other people/ the world/ the human condition not 'working properly', leading to chronic, low-grade stressed behaviour which perpetuates the 'not working properly'.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
undifferentiated(undeveloped) functions are led by your unconscious mind instead of your consciousness(most of the time, less differentiation there is on something, less often it is consciously directed). basically they mix with other contents of your unconscious mind(and different contents of same function mix together), this allows them to be projected onto others(they mix up with other projections, which everyone constantly makes without realizing it). this doesent mean that you wont become conscious of those functions, just that its not directed consciously. for example with undifferentiated thinking, your sense of what something is, is simply observed and thinking(analyzing what something is) comes more often as just an afterthought, you see what something is after it has already happened, instead of analyzing it in the moment.

naturally there is more to this, this is how jung defined differentiation in definition parts on psychological types;

Differentiation

Means the development of differences, the separation of parts from a whole. In this work I employ the concept chiefly in respect to psychological functions. So long as one function is still so merged with one or more of the other functions—as for example thinking with feeling, or feeling with sensation, etc.—as to be quite unable to appear alone, it is in an archaic (q.v.) state, and therefore undifferentiated, i.c. it is not separated out as a special part from the whole having its own independent existence. An undifferentiated thinking is incapable of thinking apart from other functions, i.e. it is constantly mixed up with sensations, feelings, or intuitions; such thinking may, for instance, become blended with sensations and phantasies, as exemplified in the sexualization (Freud) of feeling and thinking in neurosis. The undifferentiated function is also commonly characterized by the qualities of ambivalency and ambitendency [35], i.e. every positive brings with it an equally strong negative, whereby characteristic inhibitions spring up in the application of the undifferentiated function. Such a function suffers also from a fusing together of its individual parts; thus an undifferentiated faculty of sensation, for instance, is impaired through an amalgamation of the separate spheres of sensation ("audition coloriée"), and undifferentiated feeling through confounding hatred with love. Just so far as a function is wholly or mainly unconscious is it also undifferentiated, i.e. it is not only fused together in its parts but also merged with other functions.

Differentiation consists in the separation of the selected function from other functions, and in the separation of its individual parts from each other. Without differentiation direction is impossible, since the direction of a function is dependent upon the isolation and exclusion of the irrelevant. Through fusion with what is irrelevant, direction becomes impossible'; only a differentiated function proves itself capable of direction.

but this concept of differentiation also applies to other aspects of the psyche than just functions.

you should also understand introversion and extraversion properly to understand what it means to lack them. basically the act of introversion is removing irrelevant aspects of something according to principles of functions, while the act of extraversion is adding to it according principle of functions.

principles of functions are(im bit simplifying it a bit, but its really not much more complicated):

sensing: principle of fact(tells you that something is)
thinking: principle of reason(tells you what is it)
feeling: principle of value(tells you what it is worth)
intuition: principle of possibility over time(tells you where it might had came from and where it might be going to)

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
principles of functions are(im bit simplifying it a bit, but its really not much more complicated):

sensing: principle of fact(tells you that something is)
thinking: principle of reason(tells you what is it)
feeling: principle of value(tells you what it is worth)
intuition: principle of possibility over time(tells you where it might had came from and where it might be going to)

I like this.....hey I just told you what my value of it is.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I was wondering...I just realized I have an easier time understanding what something IS or how it WORKS by seeing the effects of it being taken out of the system. So it led me to ask this: What would life be like for a person who was very undeveloped in a certain cognitive function? How would it affect their lives? What would they be unable to do?

Like...how would someone be if they lacked Fi? How would someone be if they lacked Te? Si? etc. with all the other cognitive functions?

Google simulatedworld's "tertiary loops" thread.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To put it another way, the functions are things that you either "have" or "do not have". They are perspectives (as Sim always pointed out), that you pay more or less attention to.

When we look at a situation through a function and orientation, we are in essence dividing the situation that in complete form consists of both tangible and conceptual, and technical and humane aspects, in which we both add ourselves to an object and subtract from it subjectively.