User Tag List

123 Last

The Iron Giant

Default Ask me about introverted feeling (Fi).

I'm studying cognitive functions, and I have several of them down completely, including Fi. Ask me about it, and let's learn more together.

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks Kayness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEI

count me in!
    9w1 4w5 5w4 sp/sx RCUAI
    art blog
    Twitter

"I set about seeking a style in the realm of legend. Something that might allow me to give free rein to my juvenile sense of romanticism and the beautiful image"
    - Leni Riefenstahl
    [/CENTER]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

1. What are emotions like for an Fi user? Are they complex? Why can't you put them into words?
    2. Where do your moral values come from?
    3. What does it feel like when you break a moral value?

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    1. What are emotions like for an Fi user? Are they complex? Why can't you put them into words?
    I personally prefer Te to Fi, so for me it's pretty different. These are my personal observations of Fi users. As Jung did, I will refer to the strong Fi user as a female. His observation was that the introverted feeling type (IxFP) is more common in females.

Feelings are concealed, and with reason. Fi instinctively connects values with feelings. So what happens is, if you hurt an Fi user's feelings, she may feel personally attacked. Hurt feelings feel the same as a physical, bodily attack, regardless of your intent, and depending on levels of development and health, you may face a fiery retaliation. Since the values associated with Fi are subjective, and very personal, they can be very difficult to predict. In a sense, mishandling an Fi user who you're not very close to can be a lot like juggling active grenades, because you won't know where the sensitive spots are.

Another thing that makes it hard for strong Fi users to put these into words is that they're directed inwards. Since they don't depend on the outside world or broad standards for definition, they are not verbalized or shared very often... since she understands them herself in personal inner non-verbal way, there is little actual analysis of the values... they are simply powerful and present.

I have observed that the source of these is personal experience. When the Fi user is very young, positive and negative experiences imprint very strongly, and values form around these. Looking at these experiences and the resulting values objectively as an adult, the Fi user may find that they don't fit perfectly with their grown world-view, but they imprint so deeply, that there is a clear disconnect between what is understood about the difference and what is personally absorbed and applied.

It sticks, and hard. Making such a mistake becomes very difficult to let go of, for years later. Something that, when shared, may seem like a non-issue for everyone else, can be something the strong Fi user obsesses about for years. I experience this too, even with tertiary Fi. Things I've done years ago, that I'm embarrassed about, will come back and haunt me.

Enneagram
    4w5

What are emotions like for an Fi user? Are they complex? Why can't you put them into words?
    as an INFJ my emotions are very complex and sometimes contradictory and unknown to myself...

My own code of ethic and morality PLUS the influence of significant strong figures in my childhood ( my aunt and grand father).

It feels as if i am betraying myself.. Feeling like a failure..It hurts badly..

The Iron Giant

Something I posted on another forum, a piece of advice for growing Fi doms:

Your dominant function, by default, intimately ties your personal value to the way others treat you. If you can't grow to genuinely personalize that there is a space between the way others treat you and what you're worth, you'll find yourself worthless in a world filled with monsters who must be destroyed, instead of wonderful in a world of genuinely decent people who don't share your values and don't understand that they're hurting your feelings.
    http://personalitycafe.com/myers-bri...ml#post2588610

Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp

Do you ever have any sort of conflict with a Fe user, and just know you are right based on your feelings?
    Myers-Briggs: xsFP

Enneagram: 9?-4wX?-5/6

~ People don't think it be like it is, but it do. ~

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by minutegovt View Post
    Do you ever have any sort of conflict with a Fe user, and just know you are right based on your feelings?
    http://personalitycafe.com/infj-foru...ml#post2400947

I think that Fi can seem inconsiderate and selfish from the perspective of an Fe user, just as Fe can seem inauthentic from the perspective of an Fi user. Fi is concerned with fairness and consistency of values, while Fe concerns itself more with making sure there is harmony between people. Most societies will traditionally value Fe over Fi, because Fi is more likely to rock the boat, and perhaps not do it in a delicate way, when something seems to be amiss.
    The stronger a person's use of Fi, the more likely they are to take issue with someone who is a strong user of Fe. Wanting to get along with everyone would feel wrong to an Fi user, because many people out there have values that conflict with the Fi user's. Further, the Fi user can feel "tainted" by interaction with those who strongly conflict with their values. So when the Fe user wants to get along with people the Fi user can't stand, there's a feeling of conflictedness there: "How can this person I like be nice to/be friends with this person?"

As someone who prefers Te over Fi, I'm very capable of interacting with people I don't much care for, particularly for the sake of duty. Stronger Fi would make this harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Something I posted on another forum, a piece of advice for growing Fi doms:

Your dominant function, by default, intimately ties your personal value to the way others treat you. If you can't grow to genuinely personalize that there is a space between the way others treat you and what you're worth, you'll find yourself worthless in a world filled with monsters who must be destroyed, instead of wonderful in a world of genuinely decent people who don't share your values and don't understand that they're hurting your feelings.
    I wish there were a "Thank" button for this.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Very well said mister.

Can you talk to me about how fi is experienced for you as an istj?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison