User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. What am I not investigating? What am I taking as facts?
    Yes. How do you know the facts are valid if you don't investigate for yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by TreeBob View Post
    Ne is all about taking in multiple feelings/thoughts/ideas/data (interpreting) and Ti/Fi would filter through it and pick the "best" one (Analyzing/Valuing) to make a final decision. If you are researching multiple things at one time, to find the best conclusion, then you are using NeTi.
    Thank you Treebob. This is actually the most helpful answer in this entire thread.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Yes. How do you know the facts are valid if you don't investigate for yourself?
    Well.. I am investigating =) I think that's what you were getting at.

I have a feeling of talking about the same thing in different terms.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Well.. I am investigating =) I think that's what you were getting at.

I have a feeling of talking about the same thing in different terms.
    How do you investigate then?

MBTI
    ENTJ

How do you investigate then?
    Well, let me give you an example. I go to university and get decent grades. Someone hands me assignment to evaluate the value of Requirements Engineering over Waterfall model.

So I immediately get an idea of what's affecting this research.
    -Situation around this question (who's who, what's what)
    -What's involved .. software engineering, different ideas that aren't wholly parallel and aren't wholly opposite .. this makes it feel its a trick question of sorts
    -what I know about it .. I've learned a lot of courses
    -What I can verify per first-hand experience .. I've done this software project for a guy who expected me to change my waterfall model process per his ideas as if it were an agile process
    -what resources I have at it.. I have my local bookstore and access to relevant scientific literature on the subject, plus means to understand it
    -I have many compilers at my disposal and means to compile code with them
    -I have many acquintances with whom to discuss details & ideas

So I just follow some process that integrates some or all of them in some fashion. Probably with some combination of conservatism and wild thought.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Well, let me give you an example. I go to university and get decent grades. Someone hands me assignment to evaluate the value of Requirements Engineering over Waterfall model.

So I immediately get an idea of what's affecting this research.
    -Situation around this question (who's who, what's what)
    -What's involved .. software engineering, different ideas that aren't wholly parallel and aren't wholly opposite .. this makes it feel its a trick question of sorts
    -what I know about it .. I've learned a lot of courses
    -What I can verify per first-hand experience .. I've done this software project for a guy who expected me to change my waterfall model process per his ideas as if it were an agile process
    -what resources I have at it.. I have my local bookstore and access to relevant scientific literature on the subject, plus means to understand it
    -I have many compilers at my disposal and means to compile code with them
    -I have many acquintances with whom to discuss details & ideas

So I just follow some process that integrates some or all of them in some fashion. Probably with some combination of conservatism and wild thought.
    My style of investigating is so much different. I don't trust external facts at all. I think that external facts must be investigated themselves, to evaluate whether they are even accurate. In addition, if you are a Te engineer, you probably learn how to construct things best from reading books and having things explained to you don't you? I personally don't learn this way at all: I think I would learn best from a hands on approach of actually tinkering with gadgets and figuring out the technology myself. The way I learn and investigate things is so personal.

MBTI
    ENTJ

My style of investigating is so much different. I don't trust external facts at all. I think that external facts must be investigated themselves, to evaluate whether they are even accurate. In addition, if you are a Te engineer, you probably learn how to construct things best from reading books and having things explained to you don't you? I personally don't learn this way at all: I think I would learn best from a hands on approach of actually tinkering with gadgets and figuring out the technology myself. The way I learn and investigate things is so personal.
    Yeah, well what I've experienced personally and what I do first-hand is a part of everything, not the whole part.

But.. it takes only so little effort to get the basic things right, the rest of the job is done by reading books and references. But it doesn't mean that I don't have a connection to the real thing: exactly opposite.

I only even *start* believing anything that has a connection with the real thing. And the real thing is something someone can have a hands-on experience with.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Yeah, well what I've experienced personally and what I do first-hand is a part of everything, not the whole part.

But.. it takes only so little effort to get the basic things right, the rest of the job is done by reading books and references. But it doesn't mean that I don't have a connection to the real thing: exactly opposite.

I only even *start* believing anything that has a connection with the real thing. And the real thing is something someone can have a hands-on experience with.
    I just don't believe the facts at all though. I have to figure out everything for myself.

MBTI
    ENTJ

I just don't believe the facts at all though. I have to figure out everything for myself.
    Well, for me, a fact isn't a fact until I've experienced it done it myself.. but after I've done so, it's a fact.

I'm the LAST PERSON ON EARTH to belive a statement "believe X, because it's a fact."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Well, for me, a fact isn't a fact until I've experienced it done it myself.. but after I've done so, it's a fact.

I'm the LAST PERSON ON EARTH to belive a statement "believe X, because it's a fact."
    Hmm..I can relate to that. All the pre- planning I can't relate to though and especially the resources gathering part. I tend to have open ended strategies and not plans. For instance, in many situations I say, "Ok this situation could go like this, this, or this. Now if this happens, I'm going to do this. Then, if this happens I'm going to do this. Finally, if this happens, I'm going to do this." I kind of plan for situations.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Hmm..I can relate to that. All the pre- planning I can't relate to though and especially the resources gathering part. I tend to have open ended strategies and not plans. For instance, in many situations I say, "Ok this situation could go like this, this, or this. Now if this happens, I'm going to do this. Then, if this happens I'm going to do this. Finally, if this happens, I'm going to do this." I kind of plan for situations.
    Well, that's pretty much how my thinking goes. I have trees of decision in my mind realtime, vague roadmaps. I plan long-term things vaguely and short-term things ever more presicely, and at short-enough time-span I just execute, not plan. But then I'm my own boss, so I ever think what I should decide for myself, and what of my own commands I should obey. But, this isn't much about research, is it?

In any case, mythbusters is one of my favorites in exposing the scientific mindview - which is most about making tests, if you asks me. Edison is another one who's (un) scientific method has inspired me. A third one is Tesla.

Einstein inspires me, but not per scientific method, because I've never learned to understand what his method was about.