123 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Fi and Problems with Authority

I've noticed that IXFPs have particular issues with authority, namely, being told what to do in an authoritarian tone of voice, obeying traffic laws, and other things of this nature. Since every function has a problem with its inferior it occurred to me that the Fi-dom must be showing its Te inferior by having problems with authority figures and external laws.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I've noticed that IXFPs have particular issues with authority, namely, being told what to do in an authoritarian tone of voice, obeying traffic laws, and other things of this nature. Since every function has a problem with its inferior it occurred to me that the Fi-dom must be showing its Te inferior by having problems with authority figures and external laws.
    Meh... I'm actually very law abiding, generally. What I can't stand is authority wielded in ways that are cruel or don't make sense. Blindly enforcing rules when they are counter-productive makes me crazy. Conversely, most traffic laws have real utility and so don't get on my last nerve.

I admit disliking having someone tell me what to do... but that's a reflexive in-the-moment response. After some thought I tend to absorb and re-evaluate.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Meh...
    Now that was illuminating!

I'm actually very law abiding, generally. What I can't stand is authority wielded in ways that are cruel or don't make sense. Blindly enforcing rules when they are counter-productive makes me crazy. Conversely, most traffic laws have real utility and so don't get on my last nerve.

I admit disliking having someone tell me what to do... but that's a reflexive in-the-moment response. After some thought I tend to absorb and re-evaluate.
    So you admit that "meh" was just a reflex action, and now you've had a chance to absorb and re-evaluate.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    so do ExFPs
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    so do ExFPs
    I was tempted to take it a step beyond the IXFP realm, but I know I'm already stepping on some denial systems.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Meh... I'm actually very law abiding, generally. What I can't stand is authority wielded in ways that are cruel or don't make sense. Blindly enforcing rules when they are counter-productive makes me crazy. Conversely, most traffic laws have real utility and so don't get on my last nerve.

+1

I'm not really resistant to rules and authority, but then my own values tend to relatively align with the laws of my country. I think most IXFPs don't want to waste their time resisting every restriction or demand on us; we're actually pretty go-with-the-flow about most things, saving our outrage for values that really matter to us.

I do very much dislike being bossed about, though. If you want to see a IXFP's defiant side all you have to do is micro-manage them; particularly if you attempt to control, dictate or wrongly claim to know, their thoughts, feelings, opinions, needs, moral views, nature etc. It's often only when my sense of self or my individuality is threatened that I become stubbornly resistant and difficult, if not intentionally contrary. In NZ we have a term for this: "bloody-minded".
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

As I said, "being told what to do in an authoritarian tone of voice."

I'm looking for clues as to the meaning of "controlling, micro-managing Te type" in the inferior mode, with regard to how "I did it my way" Fi-dom relates to it.

Generally, I don't have problems with authority.

But I can say that many times in my life, I faced some "authorities" that get on my nerves. I really get very angry when people use their authority to try to humiliate others, or use it in a childish mode, attacking people personally and so on. Yesterday I really lost my temper with a guy who was in a higher position than me, and started to attack me (we had problems last year and I just can't stand him). I can't deal with it and I respond agressively.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I think most IXFPs don't want to waste their time resisting every restriction or demand on us; we're actually pretty go-with-the-flow about most things, saving our outrage for values that really matter to us.

I do very much dislike being bossed about, though. If you want to see a IXFP's defiant side all you have to do is micro-manage them; particularly if you attempt to control, dictate or wrongly claim to know, their thoughts, feelings, opinions, needs, moral views, nature etc. It's often only when my sense of self or my individuality is threatened that I become stubbornly resistant and difficult, if not intentionally contrary. In NZ we have a term for this: "bloody-minded".
    Exactly
    I'm pretty law abiding because for most things I don't see the point of resisting. There's a bit of a cost/benefit mentality. What's the chance of getting caught? How much do I dislike following the rule? Usually I don't even care enough to bother with the risk. A risk can be as 'small' as needing to interact with someone about the rule. That's normally enough to make me want to just follow it. I don't care, I don't want an argument, just leave me alone. If I inadvertently do get myself into that sort of situation it's bloody annoying. Ok ok, I'll do whatever the hell you want as long as you stop talking. Aaaahh I was having a nice little daydream and now I'm thinking about this idiocy.

However, as Southern Kross said, claims or control about me --thoughts, feelings, etc etc etc-- will at the least make me incredibly stubborn, and often cause me to start spitting out sarcastic attacks like an angry cat. It often surprises people since I'm normally so easy going.

People don't normally try to boss me around though. I think I tend to jump on it pretty quickly and tell them, in a diplomatic way of course, to fuck off. Sometimes I laugh at them if they are really annoying about it... which probably isn't the most diplomatic (but this is normally in the realm of family and diplomacy has already failed.).
    (Note: I am self employed so I don't really get any work related issues.)
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Yeah, we INTJs just LOVE being told what to do and how to do it.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.