User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    OMNi

Default Shyness versus Introversion

What exactly is the difference?

How can one tell the difference between a shy extrovert and an introvert?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

A shy extrovert is someone that wants to be involved in social activities but is held back by shyness. An introvert is not interested in such social activities and is not troubled by a lack thereof.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I disagree. You guys are talking phenotypes here... An extrovert is someone who's dominant function is extroverted... that is, their dominant function is focused outwards.

I've also heard people define it in terms of energy: extroverts are energized by people, and introverts are exhausted by them and energized by time alone. I don't particularly like this definition, because I'm exhausted by small talk, and my INFP friend is energized by cool people/ conversations. This definition does have some merit though... it takes energy to turn your attention outwards when it's usually inwards (introverted) by default.

So in conclusion: Shyness is a separate phenomenon from extroversion/introversion. Shyness is correlated with/ a symptom of introversion (most introverts are shy), but beyond that, should not be a factor in determining whether someone is an introvert or extrovert.

MBTI
    infp

Shyness is a matter of confidence. Is the person confident when they do speak? If so, they are introverted. Are they awkward and inconfident when they talk? They may just be shy (but introverts can be shy, so you don't know if it's a shy extravert or a shy introvert).

So, as Pheonix said, it has little to do with extraversion/introversion.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

It's all a spectrum, too. How much people tire/energize, how interested the person is in the activities, etc. Certain people are not draining and/or don't adversely affect recharge time.

Some people are so extroverted that they feel dead without people (these people would be severely affected by, say, being stranded on an island), while some are so introverted that extended periods alone are welcomed (these people are severely affected by, say, being forced to interact with a lot of strangers at an event/party/etc).
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

First off, there doesn't HAVE to be a difference, and there can certainly be overlap. These are just words that try to capture ideas, but the ideas can be related or the same.

With that said, I try to separate the two by thinking of introverts as people who are comfortable with solitude, while shy people as being uncomfortable and resisting solitude, but forced to be there for whatever reason. Because introverts don't resist, they don't have to engage in any defense mechanism. Shy people resist their situation and feelings, and therefore start using all sorts of defense mechanisms like denial, rationalization, and suppressing their true self in favor of a false self that is more socially fluid (at least with shy extroverts).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

it's impossible to tell unless you analyze their cognitive functions and try to figure out if their dominant is introverted or extroverted.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

booooo! I disagree! No, I still think you're discussing phenotypes. See my previous post for elaboration.

I have spoken *thunder*

EDIT: I disagree with Edahn. Dissonance has the right potatoes.
    Last edited by phoenix13; 05-11-2008 at 10:16 PM. Reason: spoke too late...

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Shyness is a particular trait in a particular situation(s).

Introversion is more GLOBAL than shyness. It applies to all areas (in theory). The question here is not about what people do in social situations, because someone's who's shy can seem introverted, but every other aspect.

Do you like to eat alone? Do you prefer to enjoy music alone? Do you prefer to be alone or have people around you when you do physical training? That's the kind of thing to ask to determine the difference

MBTI
    ISTx

Shyness deals with confidence (or lack thereof) in social situations. Introversion has nothing to do with social comfortability (self consciousness) but on enjoying alone time to help recharge emotionally.