First 234

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Can those fears be introduced by experience? Is it possible to fear both insignificance and rejection? Or are you saying that one always fears both, but to characteristically unequal degrees?
    Yes,fears (and the accompanying behavior) can be introduced from experience.
    But when speaking of temperament (and by extension, type), we are addressing specifically those that are inborn.
    So between fear of rejection, and fear of insignificance, one will outweigh the other, shaping our expressive behavior. Between the different areas of interaction (social, leadership, deeper relationships) one can fear rejection and be less expressive in one area, yet fear insignificance and thus be more expressive or demanding of attention in another area, so fear of both might be across those lines. Fear of neither in one area will result in ambiversion.

As complex as it is, I like that explanation. And from what little you said about INFJ, it seems bang-on. I definitely have to read more into that.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

OK.
    I go into how I make these correlations here:
    Temperament Part 2: The APS and other theories and Instruments

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Very interesting, Eric. Is the research drawn from use of existing tests (FIRO/APS)?

More to the point: what's the most expedient way in which I, or anyone else, can apply this theory?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

The research is from comparing the systems; both individual types (or temperament combinations) and the factors (such as I/E, etc).

They way the theory is applied, is that it creates a sort of "unified theory" of personality. Both classes of theory (FIRO/APS, and MBTI/Keirsey) are useful in understanding yourself and others. Yet they view it from different angles, or are measuring the same things in different ways.
    I like the way the FIRO/APS system is layed out. Three simple E/w matrices covering three areas of interaction, and APS maping the ancient temperaments to each matrix, and discovering a new temperament in the process.
    The MBTI letters I find are a bit harder to learn, but they are based on the cognitive processes, which make a lot of sense, and seem to explain the drives of our behavior from another, equally valid perspective. So I woujld much like to see both used together, but it seems in these days, FIRO is diminished in favor of MBTI. That is understandable, being that FIRO only claims to measure changeable behavior. However APS, while using the same structure, does go for inborn temperament.

A lot of people also like too compare Enneagram with MBTI, and since the APS system has a lot of similarities with Enneagram, it can be used as a jumping point for correlations with the MBTI.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Re: the OP

I think shyness, especially when extreme, makes it difficult to determine introversion vs extroversion, both because a lot of the traits of shyness and introversion overlap and because shyness hinders an extrovert's natural tendencies to some degree. In distinguishing the two, I'd say it's largely a matter of comfort and confidence. The healthy introverts I know will rarely or never seek out large groups of people for social events, but they're perfectly fine with talking to people when necessary, like to ask someone for help or something. The shy ones will tend to avoid even necessary interactions out of fear rather than indifference.

I'm severely shy and it made it difficult to know for sure that I was introverted, because I engage in social activities often, I live with 6 people and love it, and I'm often loud and talkative with my good friends, although I also enjoy many "introverted" activities. In the end I'd say that I'm moderate-to-slightly introverted although shyness makes me appear severely introverted to people who don't know me well. It also helped to look at the type as a whole....I know I'm definitely not an ESTP (or an ENTP for that matter).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    A lot of people also like too compare Enneagram with MBTI, and since the APS system has a lot of similarities with Enneagram, it can be used as a jumping point for correlations with the MBTI.
    I've found those correlations helpful, too -- except for when the Enneagram raises more questions about MBTI.

Generally, now, with a nod to Randomnity: I thought about a coworker in regards to all of this. When I first met him, I figured him a "gladhander." Passing him in the hallway, or in the restroom, or anywhere, you'll hear a distinct and cheery greeting. But only to that point is he gregarious. When conversations begin, he is typically deferential. He's never assumed center stage, which I like to do when I can. Doesn't seem to voice his own opinions. I don't recall a group discussion in which I haven't had a chance to dominate the exchange. But I'm not nearly as consistent with greetings, and yet a quick look at the two of us side-by-side would hold -- at least in typical terms -- me as less of an extrovert than this fellow.

An open observation, for consideration.