User Tag List

123 Last

WALMART

Default Has any "I" type been important to history?

I understand I could answer this question with a quick google search, but I would rather hear y'all's interpretation on the matter.

I, personally, don't feel an introverted type has cared about the external world enough to see lasting change among a population. If they have, they sure must have transcended into the extroverted realm of thinking.

I'm fairly new to this deep psychology stuff, so if I am incorrect, please provide factual information as to why I may be talking out of my ass.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

George Washington immediately comes to mind, ISTJ. Mother Theresa was an ISFJ as well.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Albert Einstein was an INTP.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

WALMART

I'll have to research both mother theresa and george washington's motives, although I can most definitely understand how someone like albert einstein could reach a place of infamy while maintaining his introversion.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

The only thing "introvert" means in terms of cognitive processing is that you derive more thoughts from inside your mind than from the external realm... so while this may have a moderate correlation with how much you interact with the external world, it probably has a fairly weak correlation with how much you care to make change in the external world.

Personally I suspect that IxxJs are more likely to have lasting impact than ExxPs - they possess more of a drive to manipulate the external world.

What about Jung himself? He's variously typed as INTP or INFJ, but has had quite an impact on the psychological community, including every single person who posts here.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

"Introversion" does not mean locking yourself into a cell in a monastery or being a hermit (and even there you could write an influencial book, do research, etc). It just means you have an either small or pronounced preference for inward directed cognitive processes. Plenty of introverts are out and about in the world, making a difference. They just might come home a bit more tired than others if their work requires them to interact with others and constantly focus on external aspects (which doesn't have to be the case).
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    George Washington immediately comes to mind, ISTJ. Mother Theresa was an ISFJ as well.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

While I am not historically relevant (yet!), I'm going to pipe up as an introvert who very much cares about the outside world. Many scientists and writers are introverted. I'm fairly certain that J.D. Salinger was an historically relevant introvert.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I, personally, don't feel an introverted type has cared about the external world enough to see lasting change among a population. If they have, they sure must have transcended into the extroverted realm of thinking.
    Of course Introverts care about the external world. This would be like me saying no Thinker has ever cared about people enough to make an effort to make people's lives better, because obviously, only Feelers care about people.

EDIT for examples:
    Lincoln
    Darwin
    Da Vinci
    Martin Luther
    Marx
    Lennon
    Warhol
    JK Rowling
    Steve Jobs
    Jackie Kennedy
    Kurt Cobain
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I's and E's can both be important to the world, and they can both suck too.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf