• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fe at it's worst.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Assuming we can quantify something as being 'at it's worst', (which I know is a flimsy phrase), the question I want to hear opinions on is:

At it's worst, is Fe merely an encourager of mob mentality and bullying of those who are against it's values?

Does Fe drive someone to rally others to their cause of judgement against another individual?

It can easily be said that im being too clear cut, that this has nothing to do with a singular function or either any function at all.

But hey, that's the point of the thread. :D

R

Riva

Another Fe hate thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me give you a lesson in typology dear AA -

Fe cares for the well being of the society and Fi only cares about how they feel about themselves when they can clearly see that the world is burning around them

and imaginary creatures like unicorns.

*Runs away from vicious, vindictive INFPs*

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Assuming we can quantify something as being 'at it's worst', (which I know is a flimsy phrase), the question I want to hear opinions on is:

At it's worst, is Fe merely an encourager of mob mentality and bullying of those who are against it's values?

Does Fe drive someone to rally others to their cause of judgement against another individual?

It can easily be said that im being too clear cut, that this has nothing to do with a singular function or either any function at all.

But hey, that's the point of the thread. :D

Ok, I'll go with this thread. Theres nothing wrong with identifying the worst expressions of a function, just so long as you remember they aren't the entire story.

First off, Fe is the urge to respond to what is seen as a socially, emotional or moral necessity/opportunity.

The main ways Fe can be expressed in an unpleasant manner lie in either 'what is seen to be necessary' or when the opportunism is indulged with little regard for the moral part.

So I'd say no, even at its worse Fe doesn't have to be anything to do with mob mentality. It can just as well be expoiting others for your own benefit, whether you're using them as an easy source of income or a patsy to do your dirty work for you.

'What is seen to be necessary' can go bad in a number of ways. The most common is being over concerned by how other view you, leading to a fear of losing ones reputation, being seen as weak or as a slut. Whatever todays flavour of loser is.

If you extend these principals you will be able to find others ways your questions can be answered.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fe at it's worst for the user or for those at the receiving end?

As for the user, I'd say inferior Fe can lead to constant worrying - you know there are rules and sensibilites, you are (mostly) willing to go by them but you are not always sure what exactly these rules are or it costs energy to detect them and you are scared you might miss them and unknowingly commit a fauxpas.

As for the external side, that insecurity can be a handful for others as well. A talent for reading others (in more proficient Fe users) could be abused like any other skill can be used for egotistical purposes (though it tends to gve a lot of weight to others' wellbeing, soooo.....) and yes, it can get in the way of social change, the conscientious objector seems to be an Fi archetype. I do however see it as strongly linked to empathy and I consider empathy to be an essential basis for the survival of mankind.

Fi on the other hand can get just as ugly - self obsessed, me-against-the-rest-of-the-world, everybody-else-doesn't-get-it, taking everything personal, etc.

All functions have their ups and downs and require a certain degree of maturity to fully shine.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
[MENTION=6164]Riva[/MENTION]

and [MENTION=8554]Andy[/MENTION]

Thanks for the replies. I am aware that this is not the entire story and like you said Andy I do not see it as the sum of it's parts. But what I meant was not so much a case of conformity but trying to bring others into your perception of things so as to enforce a bias or prejudice against those that the Fe user considers 'outside' the accepted values.

Afterall what those values are can still vary a great deal and the common idea that Fe is at the mercy of the social environment is somewhat false in my eyes. Remember what I said: Does Fe ENCOURAGE a mob mentality, although as a cognitive function I can see how I miscommunicated my point as the Fe user being the one encouraged to go along with the mob mentality as if Fe is a separate entity.

What I should have asked was: Do strong Fe users sometimes try to encourage a mob mentality in others?

[MENTION=6164]Riva[/MENTION] This isn't really Fe hate, I was just wondering about a possible negative connotation of it, remember I come under the catagorisation of those who possess strong Fe.

R

Riva

^

I very well knew it wasn't an Fe hate thread.

I was reacting in the same way most people react/reacted to threads based on Fe hate.

;)

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
^

I very well knew it wasn't an Fe hate thread.

I was reacting in the same way most people react/reacted to threads based on Fe hate.

;)

Sly! But you know me, I dont get subtlety.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Probably not so much “strong Fe users”, at least not under normal conditions.
You're more likely to see the 'worst' Fe; like a “mob mentality” and other negative, reactive behaviors (“everyone is agaist you”, or “you're all out to get me”, etc). with Fe as “deep shadow”, in a TJ type.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
My good friend at work's Fe got the best of her when she agreed to go to something our boss invited us to. I said no, she said yes to please him but flaked out, as she really didn't want to go. He is still happy with me, yet his regard for her has diminished considerably. Fe at is worst is Fe that is working against you.

Jaguar

This isn't Fe at its "worst," but it was funny.
The Larry King/ Former Miss California USA–Carrie Prejean TV interview.

Miss California: " Larry, you're being inappropriate. Larry, you're being inappropriate."

When it came time for a commercial break, Larry said:
"Inappropriate Larry will be right back."

It's what I would have said, had I been in his shoes.

Fe does 'check for appropriateness', and that's fine in certain circumstances.
But like anything taken to an extreme, it has the ability to become comical.

Having said that, if what Fe represents didn't exist at all, society would resemble a bunch of wild boars running through my favorite restaurant while I was trying to enjoy my dinner.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I would think that Fe at its worst promotes a bad faith-like victim mentality when applied inwardly, and insufferable self-righteousness when applied outwardly.

G

Glycerine

Fe at its worst, can be oppressive with "shoulds", "don'ts", "do's" due to being a slave to appropriateness.

Social skills used in a Machiavellian way.

Taking the stance of "for the other person's good" too far.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instead of telling you what Fe looks like at it's worst, I would prefer to provide a few examples in history....

1. Adolf Hitler
2. Charles Manson
3. Jim Jones

G

Glycerine

Hmmm a lot of folks seemed to have pegged him as ENFP gone wrong. Not all cult leaders are ENFJs. Lol.

Philosorapteuse

right on the left wing
MBTI Type
INTP
I'd say that Fe can definitely work to the detriment of the person in question. I find it can lead to minor social slip-ups being blown out of all proportion and making me feel guilty, miserable and generally like a terrible person for doing something that the other party isn't even that bothered about, like forgetting their name or (my particular speciality) accidentally interrupting them because you thought they'd finished speaking when they hadn't. That might be more the result of being told off for doing it too often as a kid, but I think it's also a function of Fe. I can end up being paralysed and avoidant of social contact like giving someone a ring or asking a favour because it's so important that I get it right, and I'm afraid of getting it wrong and feeling miserable because they hate me, even though they obviously won't! It can also result in an inability to refuse anyone anything they ask for, which I also have trouble with.

G

Glycerine

I'd say that Fe can definitely work to the detriment of the person in question. I find it can lead to minor social slip-ups being blown out of all proportion and making me feel guilty, miserable and generally like a terrible person for doing something that the other party isn't even that bothered about, like forgetting their name or (my particular speciality) accidentally interrupting them because you thought they'd finished speaking when they hadn't. That might be more the result of being told off for doing it too often as a kid, but I think it's also a function of Fe. I can end up being paralysed and avoidant of social contact like giving someone a ring or asking a favour because it's so important that I get it right, and I'm afraid of getting it wrong and feeling miserable because they hate me, even though they obviously won't! It can also result in an inability to refuse anyone anything they ask for, which I also have trouble with.
Hahaha yeah, being the behavior police. I can be like this when I am stressed out or anxious but overall, I try to avoid it because I deem it more "rude" to correct others than the actual behavior typically speaking. We come off as major asses when we are uptight like that!