User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 19

  1. #1
    defying your expectations SoraMayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx
    Posts
    346

    Default INxPs, how does your tertiary Si manifest?

    The title is pretty self-explanatory. I've always had a hard time connecting with and understanding the Sensing functions, and in ways have felt more comfortable with my inferior function, Te. I'd like some examples of how INFPs and INTPs use their tertiary Si.
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

    Johari -- Nohari

    Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

  2. #2
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Nostalgia. That's the strongest use for me. I can be nostalgic about things that happened earlier in the day!

    Also, it's lots of fun to play thousands of songs in my head, and compare the taste of what I'm eating now to what I've had in the past.

    I even see the usefulness of tradition now. A continuity of experience that bonds people and society together.

  3. #3
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Aye, nostalgia is a great stress reliever too.

    But also, and perhaps even more strongly for me, daydreaming. Not to be confused with crunching thoughts and ideas, but just letting go of it all and fall into a world of wonder and fantasy. It's more Si+Fe. But Si is definately an important process in it, but more subtle.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  4. #4
    Riva
    Guest

    Default

    I've always had a hard time connecting with and understanding the Sensing functions
    Ne + Si could lead to good perceptive skills. Si could (since it is good at recollection) recall information and Ne makes connections. So when trying to understand someone the recollection of information gathered of others could be connected with Ne and..... goes on.
    Last edited by Riva; 06-18-2012 at 10:32 PM.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFj
    Posts
    44

    Default

    It's on the introverted locus of attention, so Si should really be subtly conscious aid to Ti.

  6. #6
    Junior Member teleforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    26

    Default

    i never really understood cognitive functions that much, but maybe Si manifests for me in my tendency to organize lots of bits of information within collections of things. i used to be very meticulous about keeping up my music library, for instance, and for years it was very, very organized, to the point where i had all the correct names and dates and composers and album art all put in (itunes). that seems notable, but idk if that's Si. my interest in music has always been tied into my understanding of history and culture.

    uh, i can just research this stuff now.

  7. #7
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    I agree with nostalgia and also accumulating and reviewing keepsakes to remind me of places, people and times.

    Quote Originally Posted by teleforce View Post
    i never really understood cognitive functions that much, but maybe Si manifests for me in my tendency to organize lots of bits of information within collections of things. i used to be very meticulous about keeping up my music library, for instance, and for years it was very, very organized, to the point where i had all the correct names and dates and composers and album art all put in (itunes). that seems notable, but idk if that's Si. my interest in music has always been tied into my understanding of history and culture.

    uh, i can just research this stuff now.
    This is so me!

    I just love organising my books/music/movies both physically and online or in computer filing. I can fiddle with that crap for hours on end.

    Also it's in my thirst for knowledge, more particularly, to build up my knowledge base. I want to improve my vocabulary, my skill set, my general knowledge of every subject and memorise basic facts. I just want to know everything about everything. I used to love just looking at world maps (well, I still do) and getting a sense of where a country is, how big it is, what the capital and other cities are, what is the topography etc. I find that sort of thing strangely soothing. Also I like going to pub quizzes and testing all that knowledge, and perhaps showing off a little (that's more because I'm a pathetic 4w5, though).
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

    I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

    - Emily Bronte

  8. #8
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Ne + Si could lead to good perceptive skills. Si could (since it is good at recollection) recalls information and Ne makes connections. So when trying to understand someone the recollection of information gathered of others could be connected with Ne and..... goes on.
    Sounds alot like my thought process.

    Quote Originally Posted by teleforce View Post
    i never really understood cognitive functions that much, but maybe Si manifests for me in my tendency to organize lots of bits of information within collections of things. i used to be very meticulous about keeping up my music library, for instance, and for years it was very, very organized, to the point where i had all the correct names and dates and composers and album art all put in (itunes). that seems notable, but idk if that's Si. my interest in music has always been tied into my understanding of history and culture.

    uh, i can just research this stuff now.
    Oh same here, especially about the music library. I've compiled databases for other areas of interest as well. At one time, I had made a database of books I've read but I've since abandoned it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I agree with nostalgia and also accumulating and reviewing keepsakes to remind me of places, people and times.

    This is so me!

    I just love organising my books/music/movies both physically and online or in computer filing. I can fiddle with that crap for hours on end.

    Also it's in my thirst for knowledge, more particularly, to build up my knowledge base. I want to improve my vocabulary, my skill set, my general knowledge of every subject and memorise basic facts. I just want to know everything about everything. I used to love just looking at world maps (well, I still do) and getting a sense of where a country is, how big it is, what the capital and other cities are, what is the topography etc. I find that sort of thing strangely soothing. Also I like going to pub quizzes and testing all that knowledge, and perhaps showing off a little (that's more because I'm a pathetic 4w5, though).
    I've always loved maps too, ever since I was a young child. I remember a 'hobby' of mine as a child was to make my own maps of things and try to draw it to scale as best as I could. I would do this with my house, my school, etc.

    I also have a good memory of past events and can be nostalgic about certain things. Sometimes I can remember certain details or feelings associated with the event if it had a particular impact on me. Sometimes people are impressed by the little things I can remember from years ago.

    On the minus side, the Si also has a hit-or-miss quality to it. I can be very attentive to certain details but very ignorant of certain others. If a detail isn't of interest or use to me, it won't likely register. Sometimes this can be embarrasing. I work in a library and I get people asking me where certain supplies are located like the pencil sharpener. I don't have much use for a pencil sharpener since I mostly type on the computer or write with a pen so it wasn't a priority for me to learn where it was. I've probably passed by the pencil sharpener hundreds of times but it never really registered in my brain. I think my customers looked at me funny like how could you be working here all this time and not know if you have a pencil sharpener, let alone where its located?

    Another side of my Si is the physical sensations I feel in my body. I'm not so good at describing a process to others unless I start physically demonstrating it to the other person. There's something about the muscle memory that can't always be put well into words. I will also get strong physical sensations that tell me when I'm hungry, full, tired, have to go to the bathroom, etc. As I've developed my Si, I've become far more aware of these sensations and the subtleties of them. When younger, I don't think I was quite as acutely aware unless I was in obvious pain, extremely tired, etc. For example as a kid and even as a teenager, I would brush my teeth because my parents insisted on it and because I didn't want to my teeth to decay, yet I never knew the sensation of feeling like my teeth are scuzzy and in great need of brushing. That sort of awareness didn't come until I was a young adult. There are other things as well.

    Physically, I can be aware but I can also be oblivious to other things. Certain physical activities would take me longer to learn than most others. I had difficulty with things like riding a bike and learning dance moves. Riding a bike is about balance and just getting the feel or it and knowing how hard or gentle to pedal. It isn't one of those things that's easily quantifiable or put into words. You just have to physically do it. I never felt fully comfortable with just getting the feel of something. My dominant Ti wanted more precision.

    That's probably more than you wanted to know. Are these quirks common with other tertiary Si types, especially INTPs? Or is it just me?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




  9. #9
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Another side of my Si is the physical sensations I feel in my body. I'm not so good at describing a process to others unless I start physically demonstrating it to the other person. There's something about the muscle memory that can't always be put well into words. I will also get strong physical sensations that tell me when I'm hungry, full, tired, have to go to the bathroom, etc. As I've developed my Si, I've become far more aware of these sensations and the subtleties of them. When younger, I don't think I was quite as acutely aware unless I was in obvious pain, extremely tired, etc. For example as a kid and even as a teenager, I would brush my teeth because my parents insisted on it and because I didn't want to my teeth to decay, yet I never knew the sensation of feeling like my teeth are scuzzy and in great need of brushing. That sort of awareness didn't come until I was a young adult. There are other things as well.

    Physically, I can be aware but I can also be oblivious to other things. Certain physical activities would take me longer to learn than most others. I had difficulty with things like riding a bike and learning dance moves. Riding a bike is about balance and just getting the feel or it and knowing how hard or gentle to pedal. It isn't one of those things that's easily quantifiable or put into words. You just have to physically do it. I never felt fully comfortable with just getting the feel of something. My dominant Ti wanted more precision.

    That's probably more than you wanted to know. Are these quirks common with other tertiary Si types, especially INTPs? Or is it just me?
    I think I know what you mean. I often have to consciously consult myself as to whether I need or want something. Every time someone asks if I want a cup of tea for example, I have to stop and really ponder for a good few seconds whether I do - even then I often end up saying yes or no before I really work it out, because I'm making people wait. I also will sometimes will be oblivious to the fact that I'm feeling tired or too hot or that I have a headache, and then when I realise it, I'm suddenly aware that I've actually been feeling that way for a while.

    I also will do physical tasks I am very familiar with, on complete auto-pilot, and sometimes couldn't tell people the most basic steps, because I have to physically go through the motions to work it out - like if some component was on the left or right side, or what colour something was; the memory of it becomes all foggy. And the only way for me to learn complex tasks is to be drilled in it, until an unconscious instinctual pattern develops. I realise how much I rely on instinctual patterning when I walk into the garage and open the freezer and become confused, realising I really came to get a couple pieces of firewood. The reason being is that there are patterns of where I go and what I do, when I typically walk into the garage with the intention to get something. I'm so reliant on auto-pilot thinking to help me get through tasks, and I have no realisation of it until I end up in the wrong place and all confused about why I'm there.

    So I suppose you might say better Si usage (like SFJs) would make you more conscious of what you want, what you are doing and why you are doing it. There is more of a clear through line to what Si doms and aux do; the dots are all joined.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

    I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

    - Emily Bronte

  10. #10
    Senior Member Ism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Databases, DATABASES!!

    Just the thought of everything organized categorically to their most obscure and inconsequential detail makes me all giddy.

    And the only way for me to learn complex tasks is to be drilled in it, until an unconscious instinctual pattern develops.
    I definitely agree. For me, it manifested into my study habits. Instead of trying to synthesize it right away, I always preferred memorizing everything, point by point, until it was all stored in my head, ready to be recalled at a moment's notice. It was then that I tried to synthesize the information, since I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so without knowing everything first.

    Unfortunately, unless I sat down for six or seven hours nonstop, it never happened, being the lazy ass that I am. So it was a pretty inefficient process, all things considered. D;

Similar Threads

  1. How does your spirituality or lack of it influence your daily life?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 01-16-2017, 11:05 AM
  2. How does your name affect your personality?
    By Aquarelle in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 12-20-2014, 05:46 PM
  3. How does your inferior function manifest?
    By roastingmallows in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-06-2013, 02:12 PM
  4. How does your mind work when reading?
    By Saslou in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-16-2011, 07:06 PM
  5. How does your mind work?
    By Queen Kat in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-25-2009, 10:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO