User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Default Toddlers - Functions at a young age

My son is almost two and I find it utterly fascinating to observe his mind working; the way he plays, learns, everything… I'm particularly interested in how functions might manifest and show themselves at such a young age

I would be fantastically interested in anything anyone would be willing to share about yourself/siblings/your own or other kids around the toddler age.

Speculations or thoughts on how it relates to the type/functions, even better.

Thanks!

(Not sure if this thread is in the right place...)
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

When my eldest son (INTP) was four, he suddenly got scared when we went driving down the road because he felt like the entire minivan was going to flip upside down based on the laws of physics as he imagined them to work. Once he cried because we were going to get out of the car in a parking lot, and he thought the redistribution of weight would result in the entire vehicle spinning upside down.

His logic wasn't bad per se, his initial assumptions about gravity and balance were just still off. If the entire car had been on a pivot, it would have worked out just as he had imagined.

He was also very articulate, he used extensive qualifiers (possibly, definitely, certainly, potentially) in his speech at age three, and and liked to explain how things worked based on his understanding. It was funny, he sounded like a little college kid with a little three-year-old voice.

My ESFP son spent two months in the hospital was born, and he was a people magnet. I was able to compare him to my first born, who everyone liked (because he had been a pleasant baby) but didn't necessarily get DRAWN to... this was just very intense and bizarre, everyone in the room would literally flock around our younger son and respond to his personality glow. Nurses would consistently would spent their lunch shifts coming up to the NICU to hold him. He just responded and engaged in such a basic and positive way that people fell in love with him right away and wanted to be around him.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    When my eldest son (INTP) was four, he suddenly got scared when we went driving down the road because he felt like the entire minivan was going to flip upside down based on the laws of physics as he imagined them to work. Once he cried because we were going to get out of the car in a parking lot, and he thought the redistribution of weight would result in the entire vehicle spinning upside down.

His logic wasn't bad per se, his initial assumptions about gravity and balance were just still off. If the entire car had been on a pivot, it would have worked out just as he had imagined.

He was also very articulate, he used extensive qualifiers (possibly, definitely, certainly, potentially) in his speech at age three, and and liked to explain how things worked based on his understanding. It was funny, he sounded like a little college kid with a little three-year-old voice.
    Do you ever watch Top Gear (BBC)? He sounds just like James May.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Holy crap, my ExFJ daugter was hell as a toddler. She started toddling and talking at 9 months and never stopped. The hell part is that she was the most willful little twerp ever, she viewed punishment as a chance to show us down.

INTJ(?) son was just very quiet and observant. He learned very early to say a few words, and then didn't talk again till he was like 3. I think he decided he didn't really need to say anything to get what he wanted. As a result he had to do a lot speech therapy to work on pronunciation early in life.

Hmmm.. I remember my ISFP learning her colors and shapes very early.. she would point to people's teeth and say "yellows". Hah.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

This site might be interesting to you.

I've got an (almost) one year old.... I've found it very interesting comparing her to her nephews and other friends little ones that are relatively close in age. As my husband and I are so different, I'm eager to see what personality traits she picks up.

MBTI
    yupp

I don't remember my toddler years but from what i've been told is I was very quiet and observant and loved being held. and instead of crying when i wanted something i would point.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I don't remember my toddler years but from what i've been told is I was very quiet and observant and loved being held. and instead of crying when i wanted something i would point.
    *now ponders if I have the makings of a future INFP*

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    *now ponders if I have the makings of a future INFP*
    that or an ISFP the auxilary function doesn't manifest its self to either 7 or 8 or possibly as late as 11 or 12 i don't remember which. don't look at me!
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Thanks for the comments everyone

@Jennifer - My ESFP sister always drew people as well, this crazy magnetic thing. She's 18 now, and loved by everyone.

@Qlip - Well my son sounds nothing like your ExFJ daughter lol. Reminds me of how my parents talk of my ESTJ sister when she was little. Interesting about the talking thing with INTJ son. My son hasn't talked a lot, but just this last week started talking non stop all these words he's never used before, sentences. It's bizarre.

@Chaotic Harmony - Thanks for the link, I have seen that site before but it seems aimed more at older kids. Still interesting though I also find it fascinating to compare my little boy to children his own age. It's difficult though, he never acts the same when around other people as he does at home. I'm sure all kids are like this to varying degrees, can make comparisons difficult.

@prplchknz - I've always been told I was very quiet and good baby. Slept through the night at a couple weeks old, loved to sit in a swing and watch things. Didn't nap much even as an infant. Apparently I also did the pointing thing.

Don't have much time for my own anecdotes, just about to leave on a 6 hour drive. But one thing that comes to mind: My husband, an INTP, had a whole trio of imaginary friends as a toddler and young child. One was called social climber and was yellow.
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by raindancing View Post
    @prplchknz - I've always been told I was very quiet and good baby. Slept through the night at a couple weeks old, loved to sit in a swing and watch things. Didn't nap much even as an infant. Apparently I also did the pointing thing.
    *SERIOUSLY considers that she has an INFP on her hands!*