User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I took some acid last weekend and was thinking a lot about how thinking works.

It seems obvious that everyone has tens of thousand implicit beliefs about things, and that those beliefs relate to each other in some sort of structure. The way I see it -- learning is a process of relating small units of belief to each other and creating larger units. Since our consciousness can only really deal with around 7 propositions (or units) at a time, larger units are more efficient in that they carry more information but also more risky because the internal mechanics are taken for granted.

We can think of someone's overall system of beliefs as a "ground level", where a bunch of unrelated primitive beliefs sit, a "first level", where primitive beliefs are grouped together into very basic theories, and then hundreds of other levels that grow to staggering heights of abstraction. Scaffolding on top of scaffolding on top of scaffolding, etc. Consciousness is basically a continuous conference call between 7 people at a time sitting on different places in the scaffolding.

Back to MBTI, the role of perceiving functions is to add new people to the conversation. Sensing will constantly add in guys sitting on the sensory input scaffolding. (Just like all beliefs, sensory beliefs build up from little units like everything else -- from primitives at the bottom like "this spot on my retina is currently being hit with light" to "i see a cat".) Intuition is constantly building bridges between places in the scaffolding and adding the guys standing on those bridges to the conversation.

The conversation itself is mediated by Thinking and Feeling, which gauge what each member brings to the conversation. If the member isn't relevant, they'll just be replaced with a new member from the Intuition/Sensation queue. If the member is judged more harshly, Thinking/Feeling will tear down the levels of scaffolding that created that person in the first place. Likewise, if they're judged favorably, Thinking/Feeling will give give them a louder voice for the next conversation they're a part of.

Over time, the scaffolding gets higher and higher and more and more interconnected due to the work of Intuition/Sensing. It also gets more and more specialized because Thinking/Feeling have torn down areas of the structure that haven't been good in the conversation in the past.

Anyway, in this narrative, the role my Ti plays in my thinking is that it's just sitting there monitoring what I'm thinking about (the conversation) and either saying "that guy isn't contributing" or "you guys need to listen to this guy". Since I'm an Ni dom and I'm more focused on creating bridges between spots in the scaffolding and throwing those guys into the conversation, my Ti spends much of its time knocking these bridges down.

Sorry if that made no sense.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

That makes sense. It doesn't describe Ti-dom, and I surmise that this is implied in the OP.

At a certain level of the scaffolding, Ti acts as nothing more than a defense mechanism. And since it has its own set of defense mechanism "fingerprints," anybody using one of those mechanisms is implicitly using Ti. One of those mechanisms is Intellectualization. Another is Compartmentalization. And of course there is good old Rationalization.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    What aspect of that demonstrated introverted thinking? How he was getting philosophical with everything or because he took the vehicle apart, broke it into pieces, and put it back together again?
    The vid seems more ISTP, which is still Ti-dom.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Ti is simple. You think about stuff.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Ti is simple. You think about stuff.
    Everybody thinks!

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Everybody thinks!
    I think I like your new avatar and I think you should keep it and I think I think more than most people think because I think Ti people think a lot more than most other people think.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I think I like your new avatar and I think you should keep it and I think I think more than most people think because I think Ti people think a lot more than most other people think.
    I don't think that's necessarily the case.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

The vid seems more ISTP, which is still Ti-dom.
    Which makes sense. I think that Ne<Ti and Se<Ti users, use the function in very different ways. For instance, my old ESTP boss used to be able to solve problems in the moment and just take action. He would always say that i over-complicated things, and that I put too much thought into things. He thought that I need to do less analyzing and take more action. This is why I didn't think I was a Ti user in the first place. However, I could solve problems and think of better ways to do things, it's just that it didn't happen in the moment like him. Mine was more like mini-visions that would just come to me when I was alone and do one was around. Out of no where, I would be thinking of something, and then another idea would spawn from it, and I would get this "Eureka" moment. Yeah, it's like I couldn't choose when these things would happen, they would just hit me out of nowhere. It was very similar to Gregory House actually.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Which makes sense. I think that Ne<Ti and Se<Ti users, use the function in very different ways. For instance, my old ESTP boss used to be able to solve problems in the moment and just take action. He would always say that i over-complicated things, and that I put too much thought into things. He thought that I need to do less analyzing and take more action. This is why I didn't think I was a Ti user in the first place. However, I could solve problems and think of better ways to do things, it's just that it didn't happen in the moment like him. Mine was more like mini-visions that would just come to me when I was alone and do one was around. Out of no where, I would be thinking of something, and then another idea would spawn from it, and I would get this "Eureka" moment. Yeah, it's like I couldn't choose when these things would happen, they would just hit me out of nowhere. It was very similar to Gregory House actually.
    So what I described previously was Ne not Ti.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

So what I described previously was Ne not Ti.
    I don't understand what you are saying. Please clarify.