• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A Speech on Introversion and Extraversion

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I'm working on a speech I'm doing for a Communication class. It has to be 6-8 minutes long as an informative speech, so I thought I'd do it on something more useful, and chose Introversion and Extraversion.

I have 4 books I grabbed off my shelf to use as references:

Gifts Differing
Please Understand Me II
What Type Am I?
Personality Type: An Owner's Manual

My goal with this is to clear misconceptions and confusion, diffuse stereotypes and alleviate misunderstandings. While a lot of us try to do that here, I can at least try myself for the course.

My focus will be on explaining the clear differences in which you can visually notice, but at the same time, explain the psychological differences in how each person "recharges" and prefers to direct their attention.

With that said, does anyone else have any further input on points to touch on to make it more informative?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Have you taken a look at this too: [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0KYU2j0TM4&list=PLAC56E7560FF6051C&index=28&feature=plpp_video"]Susan Cain[/YOUTUBE]

Biased towards the introverts I know, but I like the RL examples she describes and the idea of tailoring an environment to meet both introverts and extroverts needs rather than one size fits all (and the benefits of this).

I think the most useful stuff for me on this subject is the outlining some of the specific things Extroverts and Introverts are good at and bad at, without judgement. For me it's so important for people to know that not everyone is capable of excelling equally at the same things, and that expecting them to do so is just plain ridiculous. I also think people really sit up and listen to this, because it addresses the problems they have faced in their everyday life.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
this attention thing is really just a secondary thing, which derives from seeing the relevance(due to trusting it) in either subjective or objective aspect of a function, therefore orienting self according to that(and therefore being focusing attention on that).

i think it would be important to talk about the subjective and objective aspects. objective meaning in line with the external world, and subjective meaning in line with the thoughts, feelings, internal perceptions etc, which arise from(but are not strict copies of) the external world. for example an objective thing might be something that you learned from school years ago and use the learned thing as it was taught to you. even tho it is evoked from within at the moment, but the thing you are using it for is oriented according to the learned information. subjective factor would be you taking what you learned in school years ago, developing the concept further and orienting self according to this newly constructed thing, instead of just using the information you had as it was, or is motivated more of his impressions of those learned things, not the learned thing itself. this is the whole point behind introversion and extraversion, extraverts mainly orient themselves according to the objective factor(as they have extraverted dominant function) and introverts according to the subjective factor.

"An introverted consciousness can be well aware of external conditions, but is not motivated by them."

"Everyone whose attitude is introverted thinks, feels, and acts in a way that clearly demonstrates that the subject is the prime motivating factor and that the object is of secondary importance." [Ibid., par. 769.]

"Jung believed that introversion and extraversion were present in everyone, but that one attitude-type is invariably dominant. When external factors are the prime motivating force for judgments, perceptions, affects and actions, we have an extraverted attitude or type."

"Extraversion is characterized by interest in the external object, responsiveness, and a ready acceptance of external happenings, a desire to influence and be influenced by events, a need to join in and get "with it," the capacity to endure bustle and noise of every kind, and actually find them enjoyable, constant attention to the surrounding world, the cultivation of friends and acquaintances, none too carefully selected, and finally by the great importance attached to the figure one cuts."["Psychological Typology," CW 6, par. 972.]

"In general, the extravert trusts what is received from the outside world and is not inclined to examine personal motivations."

"Although everyone is affected by objective data, the extravert’s thoughts, decisions and behavior are determined by them. Personal views and the inner life take second place to outer conditions."

"The psychic life of the extreme extraverted type is enacted wholly in reaction to the environment, which determines the personal standpoint. If the mores change, he adjusts his views and behavior patterns to match. This is both a strength and a limitation."

"Extraversion is an asset in social situations and in relating to the external environment. But a too-extraverted attitude may result in sacrificing oneself in order to fulfil what one sees as objective demands-the needs of others, for instance, or the requirements of an expanding business."

"This is the extravert’s danger: He gets sucked into objects and completely loses himself in them."[ Ibid., par. 565.]
(quotes from http://www.nyaap.org/jung-lexicon)

you should also mention the differing definitions to introversion and extraversion, first talk about this from jungian point of view(jung coined the terms after all), then move onto big5 type of definitions, which mainly focus on the social and dominance aspects of extraversion and explain the differences between the two different ways of viewing the same thing.

i dont think those books you listed will be any good for your project, since they are all looking at the thing from one perspective and disregarding where the ideas were developed and how they are mainly used today. those books would be more suited on some personal development speech.

edit.
also you might want to mention object relations theory, as its the basis for this whole introversion/extraversion thing

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah, I like [MENTION=7595]INTP[/MENTION]'s points about describing the origin of the words and the development of definitions. For me, an important difference has always been cognitive extravert versus social extravert, because I'm a strong cognitive extravert but socially I toe the line of introversion - as with many Ne doms, I'm more interested in ideas than people.

"In general, the extravert trusts what is received from the outside world and is not inclined to examine personal motivations."

I do not believe the second part of the quote is true. Myself and other extraverts talk about personal motivations all the time. I think perhaps this means examining one's own motivations, which would make more sense, but I think still ends up not really being true when you come to NFs, who are all about examining personal motivation.

:shrug:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I like [MENTION=7595]INTP[/MENTION]'s points about describing the origin of the words and the development of definitions. For me, an important difference has always been cognitive extravert versus social extravert, because I'm a strong cognitive extravert but socially I toe the line of introversion - as with many Ne doms, I'm more interested in ideas than people.

I do not believe the second part of the quote is true. Myself and other extraverts talk about personal motivations all the time. I think perhaps this means examining one's own motivations, which would make more sense, but I think still ends up not really being true when you come to NFs, who are all about examining personal motivation.

By "personal motivations" I think it means your own, not those of others. It's pointing to the kind of self-examination that accompanies introversion.

Also, you say as an Ne that you're more interested in ideas. But ideas can be internal or external. If you like to examine patterns of social mores then that is extrospective.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Mal+ said:
Also, you say as an Ne that you're more interested in ideas. But ideas can be internal or external. If you like to examine patterns of social mores then that is extrospective.

Right. This might be getting too into MBTI for raz's project, but as a strong Fi user, I'm far more attentive to inner personal motivations than social mores, which would be more the grounds of Fe. However, I am much more engaged by external concepts, and have no real gift for developing ideas removed from the external world.

I think this is where introversion/extraversion gets a little blurry, honestly. Most people are either dominantly extraverted or introverted, clearly, but, as suggested by function theory, we also have certain areas of our psyches that are introverted and extraverted by turn. I might be very extraverted when it comes to ideas, but I'm very introverted when it comes to personal feelings.

For example, my best friend, an ENFJ, is very introverted in terms of her ideas but very extraverted in terms of personal relations. We are both technically extraverted - and I would say we are both mildly extraverted - but our extraversion presents differently. She is more the classical social extravert, heavily involved in social planning, a natural hostess, and a good networker. However, she also needs a good deal of alone time to develop her ideas, and has a sort of "wall" up sometimes. Personally, I am much more ambiverted socially, but I am constantly taking in information about the external world and working it into my understanding, and I need alone time to process emotionally.

For all the recent introvert-empowering information, I think it's important to also note that extraversion isn't just good for party planning, or being assertive in groups - because some extraverts, like me, really aren't like that at all. To me, the real power of this information lies in understanding where you are cognitively extraverted, where you are cognitively introverted, and how you can use those aspects to your own benefit. Personally, I have discovered that I am very good at combining and augmenting external concepts, and that I am very good at dealing with intrapersonal issues. I need to work on developing my own internal ideas more, and not being so easily swayed by my environment (given, this is an E6 problem as well), and I need to work on being more attentive to the external social world.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Right. This might be getting too into MBTI for raz's project, but as a strong Fi user, I'm far more attentive to inner personal motivations than social mores, which would be more the grounds of Fe. However, I am much more engaged by external concepts, and have no real gift for developing ideas removed from the external world.

Fi judges things according to a personal value system ("inner personal movitations"). Ne is extrospective, it examines patterns and searches for underlying causes which connect things. Fe is attentive, for sure, but it is a judging function, it's standard of value is external, social. "Have no real gift for developing ideas removed from the external world" means your Ni or Ti is inferior. "I am much more engaged by external concepts" sounds Ne to me.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, I like INTP's points about describing the origin of the words and the development of definitions. For me, an important difference has always been cognitive extravert versus social extravert, because I'm a strong cognitive extravert but socially I toe the line of introversion - as with many Ne doms, I'm more interested in ideas than people.

but the quote says "in general". for ENFPs there is naturally strong emphasis on the subjective feeling, since its the supporting function for their objective intuitions.

what the quote is talking about is this: "I felt like I was giving up myself often to suit the direction that the ENFJ's Ni was taking us, because to maintain the strength of the connection between us, I had to keep bending to the Ni demands"

"The hahas are very sincere! (I totally stopped myself from writing haha again at the end...and it was hard)."

i have notice ENFPs are generally usually very adaptable like this and i think this is exactly about the trust in what is received from external world, feedback from someone else is easily treated as a truth about self, which naturally need to be supported or dismissed by the subjective feeling function(so its not all taken in necessarily and also depends on the development of Fi). also i think when the Fi judgment is ambivalent about the external feedback, ENFPs take it in relatively easily and trust it(the idea behind Fi/functionsingeneral development is partly that it is less ambivalent about things). if you compare ENFPs to INFPs for example, the big difference between the two is that INFPs doesent trust what emerges from external world so easily and is more critical towards external world with subjective feeling and is more inclined to examine personal motivations.

in that quote(if i understood you correctly), what you were saying was because keeping the relationship alive was so strong motivation to you. therefore, wouldnt it be correct to say that your personal motivation was the relationship, not the change itself? if so, doesent that mean that you actually didnt examine your personal motivations all that much about the changes you made? imo that was more about the 'what if' perceptions from your Ne which was the prime motivator in this.

i do agree that the quote can be quite misleading and is not accurate enough, but then again the lack of accuracy is fixed with the "in general".

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Perhaps you could also point out the cultural differences between countries that change attitudes and perceptions surrounding introversion and extraversion.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm working on a speech I'm doing for a Communication class. It has to be 6-8 minutes long as an informative speech, so I thought I'd do it on something more useful, and chose Introversion and Extraversion.
Since your class is on communication, you might include a section on differences in how Es and Is communicate, and how to communicate productively with oppositely inclined people. Another reference you might check is The Introvert Advantage. Yes, it focuses on introverts, but through comparison with Es will say something about both.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I have that book, i just found it in a bookshelf with some others.

My aim is to remain objective and not include definitions related to MBTI.

Edit: We're supposed to send preliminary outlines, so this is what I sent to the teacher. I'm trying to keep it basic and within the scope of the kinds of topics people will bring to a normal communication class.

Speech Title: Introversion and Extraversion in Everyday Life

General purpose: To explain how one’s preference for introversion and extraversion affects their relationship with themselves and others.

Specific purpose: After listening to my speech, audience members will be able to identify whether they are primary introverted or extraverted, and begin to implement that knowledge to live a happier life.

Thesis: Introversion and extraversion refer how to people prefer to ‘refuel’ and engage the external world.

I. Introduction
A. Attention getting technique – After you listen to this speech, do you think you will want to move on to something else or take a while to discuss what you just heard and reflect on the information? Your answer to this question depends on your temperament for introversion or extraversion.”
B. Present thesis statement – Introversion and extraversion refer how to people prefer to ‘refuel’ and engage the external world.
C. Motivate audience to listen – The common misconception is that introverts are lonely and shy, and that extraverts are loud and annoying. That’s wrong. How would you like to better understand your own friends and family?
D. Establish credibility – Research on the preferences for Introversion and Extraversion began in the 1920’s, with Carl Jung making fantastic discoveries. Later in the 1950’s, Katharine Briggs and her daughter, Isabel Briggs Myers used Jung’s research to create a personality inventory called the Myers Briggs Type Indicator.
E. Preview main points – An Introvert focuses internally, becoming more focused on their internal world and motivated by those desires. The Extravert looks to the external world, becoming energized by it and seeking interaction. Problems arise both personally and socially when these differences in temperament exist.

Transition: Let’s look first at the Introvert. How many people find themselves misunderstanding other people, especially extraverts and becoming annoyed at not desiring constantly interacting like the extraverts? Introverts find this issue consistently, especially in such a hectic society like ours.

II. Body

A. What is an Introvert?

1. How does an Introvert interact with the internal world?
• Seeks solitude
• Prefers ideas and concepts
• Thinks to themselves
• More depth in interests

2. How does an Introvert interact with the external world?
• Smaller amount of close knit friends
• Thinks first before acting
• Avoids breadth of interests to focus on specific interests
• Views external world as an object to support their internal world

Transition: The direct opposite of an Introvert is the Extravert. They achieve things differently, looking outward rather than inward.

B. What is an Extravert?

1. How does an Extravert interact with the external world?
• Energized by external interaction
• Seeks large amounts of friends, regardless of closeness
• Tendency to think out loud
• Acts first, and thinks later

2. How does an Extravert interact with their internal world?
• Becomes restless and loses energy when focusing on internal world
• Looks inward to support preference for extraversion
• Find depth of interests to be dull
• Try to limit under-stimulation from internal world

Transition: Now that introversion and extraversion has been clearly defined, how can we use this information to help us in our daily life? How many problems arise daily just from misunderstanding someone’s preference for gaining energy? Over 50% of the world is introverted, which studies showing that number to increase each decade.

C. How can we improve communication between Introverts and Extraverts?

1. Introverts vs. Extraverts
• Be open to their ability to seek conversations and interaction
• Understand that sometimes they need a “sounding board”
• Do more things with them, feeding their interaction need
• Avoid stereotypes and assumptions

2. Extraverts vs. Introverts
• Understand that they don’t make the majority of their life public
• Give them time to sort out their thoughts
• Avoid pressuring them to socialize in uncomfortable situations
• As with Extraverts, stereotypes and assumptions can exist

III. Conclusion

A. Signal the closure of the speech (transition) - Every person’s preference is readily noticeable, and with the right information, you can begin to understand how they act and behave. After hearing what I have told you, you can leave here knowing how the people around you interact with the world and adjust yourself to avoid miscommunication.
B. Review main points - Introverts spend more time alone, where as Extraverts crave constantly “doing” something. The delicate balance in achieving competent communication between these two types of people comes in understand each person’s strengths while still identifying them as individual human beings. With this you can be much more competent as a communicator.
C. Make speech memorable (provide your audience with a memory aid) After leaving from this audience, you should be able to understand how you choose to spend your time afterwards, whether it is more likely reflection or jumping into another activity. Your choice will help you determine whether you are introverted or extraverted.

IV. Organizational Pattern
A. What Informative Organizational Pattern was chosen? Topic Pattern
B. How/why does that pattern best fit your main ideas? This pattern best achieves explaining the definition and examples of introversion and extraversion while leading seamlessly to a third topic that joins them together and approaches issues regarding both of them.

V. Visual aid
A. What type of visual aid(s) will be used? Statistics of amounts of introverts and extraverts, along with an image of Carl Jung
B. How and when will it be used? Image of Carl Jung used in introduction and statistics shown in main point 3

VI. Sources (minimum of three to be referenced in Works Cited)
A. Source 1: The Introvert Advantage by Marti Olsen Laney, Psy. D.
B. Source 2: Personality Type: An Owner’s Manual by Lenore Thomson
C. Source 3: What Type Am I? Discover Who You Really Are by Renee Baron

Last edited: