User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    LoLz

Default A Speech on Introversion and Extraversion

I'm working on a speech I'm doing for a Communication class. It has to be 6-8 minutes long as an informative speech, so I thought I'd do it on something more useful, and chose Introversion and Extraversion.

I have 4 books I grabbed off my shelf to use as references:

Gifts Differing
    Please Understand Me II
    What Type Am I?
    Personality Type: An Owner's Manual

My goal with this is to clear misconceptions and confusion, diffuse stereotypes and alleviate misunderstandings. While a lot of us try to do that here, I can at least try myself for the course.

My focus will be on explaining the clear differences in which you can visually notice, but at the same time, explain the psychological differences in how each person "recharges" and prefers to direct their attention.

With that said, does anyone else have any further input on points to touch on to make it more informative?

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Have you taken a look at this too: [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0KYU2j0TM4&list=PLAC56E7560FF6051C&index= 28&feature=plpp_video"]Susan Cain[/YOUTUBE]

Biased towards the introverts I know, but I like the RL examples she describes and the idea of tailoring an environment to meet both introverts and extroverts needs rather than one size fits all (and the benefits of this).

I think the most useful stuff for me on this subject is the outlining some of the specific things Extroverts and Introverts are good at and bad at, without judgement. For me it's so important for people to know that not everyone is capable of excelling equally at the same things, and that expecting them to do so is just plain ridiculous. I also think people really sit up and listen to this, because it addresses the problems they have faced in their everyday life.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

this attention thing is really just a secondary thing, which derives from seeing the relevance(due to trusting it) in either subjective or objective aspect of a function, therefore orienting self according to that(and therefore being focusing attention on that).

i think it would be important to talk about the subjective and objective aspects. objective meaning in line with the external world, and subjective meaning in line with the thoughts, feelings, internal perceptions etc, which arise from(but are not strict copies of) the external world. for example an objective thing might be something that you learned from school years ago and use the learned thing as it was taught to you. even tho it is evoked from within at the moment, but the thing you are using it for is oriented according to the learned information. subjective factor would be you taking what you learned in school years ago, developing the concept further and orienting self according to this newly constructed thing, instead of just using the information you had as it was, or is motivated more of his impressions of those learned things, not the learned thing itself. this is the whole point behind introversion and extraversion, extraverts mainly orient themselves according to the objective factor(as they have extraverted dominant function) and introverts according to the subjective factor.

"An introverted consciousness can be well aware of external conditions, but is not motivated by them."

"Everyone whose attitude is introverted thinks, feels, and acts in a way that clearly demonstrates that the subject is the prime motivating factor and that the object is of secondary importance." [Ibid., par. 769.]

"Jung believed that introversion and extraversion were present in everyone, but that one attitude-type is invariably dominant. When external factors are the prime motivating force for judgments, perceptions, affects and actions, we have an extraverted attitude or type."

"Extraversion is characterized by interest in the external object, responsiveness, and a ready acceptance of external happenings, a desire to influence and be influenced by events, a need to join in and get "with it," the capacity to endure bustle and noise of every kind, and actually find them enjoyable, constant attention to the surrounding world, the cultivation of friends and acquaintances, none too carefully selected, and finally by the great importance attached to the figure one cuts."["Psychological Typology," CW 6, par. 972.]

"In general, the extravert trusts what is received from the outside world and is not inclined to examine personal motivations."

"Although everyone is affected by objective data, the extravert’s thoughts, decisions and behavior are determined by them. Personal views and the inner life take second place to outer conditions."

"The psychic life of the extreme extraverted type is enacted wholly in reaction to the environment, which determines the personal standpoint. If the mores change, he adjusts his views and behavior patterns to match. This is both a strength and a limitation."

"Extraversion is an asset in social situations and in relating to the external environment. But a too-extraverted attitude may result in sacrificing oneself in order to fulfil what one sees as objective demands-the needs of others, for instance, or the requirements of an expanding business."

"This is the extravert’s danger: He gets sucked into objects and completely loses himself in them."[ Ibid., par. 565.]
    (quotes from http://www.nyaap.org/jung-lexicon)

you should also mention the differing definitions to introversion and extraversion, first talk about this from jungian point of view(jung coined the terms after all), then move onto big5 type of definitions, which mainly focus on the social and dominance aspects of extraversion and explain the differences between the two different ways of viewing the same thing.

i dont think those books you listed will be any good for your project, since they are all looking at the thing from one perspective and disregarding where the ideas were developed and how they are mainly used today. those books would be more suited on some personal development speech.

edit.
    also you might want to mention object relations theory, as its the basis for this whole introversion/extraversion thing
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Yeah, I like @INTP's points about describing the origin of the words and the development of definitions. For me, an important difference has always been cognitive extravert versus social extravert, because I'm a strong cognitive extravert but socially I toe the line of introversion - as with many Ne doms, I'm more interested in ideas than people.

"In general, the extravert trusts what is received from the outside world and is not inclined to examine personal motivations."

I do not believe the second part of the quote is true. Myself and other extraverts talk about personal motivations all the time. I think perhaps this means examining one's own motivations, which would make more sense, but I think still ends up not really being true when you come to NFs, who are all about examining personal motivation.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Yeah, I like @INTP's points about describing the origin of the words and the development of definitions. For me, an important difference has always been cognitive extravert versus social extravert, because I'm a strong cognitive extravert but socially I toe the line of introversion - as with many Ne doms, I'm more interested in ideas than people.

I do not believe the second part of the quote is true. Myself and other extraverts talk about personal motivations all the time. I think perhaps this means examining one's own motivations, which would make more sense, but I think still ends up not really being true when you come to NFs, who are all about examining personal motivation.

By "personal motivations" I think it means your own, not those of others. It's pointing to the kind of self-examination that accompanies introversion.

Also, you say as an Ne that you're more interested in ideas. But ideas can be internal or external. If you like to examine patterns of social mores then that is extrospective.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+
    Also, you say as an Ne that you're more interested in ideas. But ideas can be internal or external. If you like to examine patterns of social mores then that is extrospective.
    Right. This might be getting too into MBTI for raz's project, but as a strong Fi user, I'm far more attentive to inner personal motivations than social mores, which would be more the grounds of Fe. However, I am much more engaged by external concepts, and have no real gift for developing ideas removed from the external world.

I think this is where introversion/extraversion gets a little blurry, honestly. Most people are either dominantly extraverted or introverted, clearly, but, as suggested by function theory, we also have certain areas of our psyches that are introverted and extraverted by turn. I might be very extraverted when it comes to ideas, but I'm very introverted when it comes to personal feelings.

For example, my best friend, an ENFJ, is very introverted in terms of her ideas but very extraverted in terms of personal relations. We are both technically extraverted - and I would say we are both mildly extraverted - but our extraversion presents differently. She is more the classical social extravert, heavily involved in social planning, a natural hostess, and a good networker. However, she also needs a good deal of alone time to develop her ideas, and has a sort of "wall" up sometimes. Personally, I am much more ambiverted socially, but I am constantly taking in information about the external world and working it into my understanding, and I need alone time to process emotionally.

For all the recent introvert-empowering information, I think it's important to also note that extraversion isn't just good for party planning, or being assertive in groups - because some extraverts, like me, really aren't like that at all. To me, the real power of this information lies in understanding where you are cognitively extraverted, where you are cognitively introverted, and how you can use those aspects to your own benefit. Personally, I have discovered that I am very good at combining and augmenting external concepts, and that I am very good at dealing with intrapersonal issues. I need to work on developing my own internal ideas more, and not being so easily swayed by my environment (given, this is an E6 problem as well), and I need to work on being more attentive to the external social world.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Right. This might be getting too into MBTI for raz's project, but as a strong Fi user, I'm far more attentive to inner personal motivations than social mores, which would be more the grounds of Fe. However, I am much more engaged by external concepts, and have no real gift for developing ideas removed from the external world.
    Fi judges things according to a personal value system ("inner personal movitations"). Ne is extrospective, it examines patterns and searches for underlying causes which connect things. Fe is attentive, for sure, but it is a judging function, it's standard of value is external, social. "Have no real gift for developing ideas removed from the external world" means your Ni or Ti is inferior. "I am much more engaged by external concepts" sounds Ne to me.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Yeah, I like INTP's points about describing the origin of the words and the development of definitions. For me, an important difference has always been cognitive extravert versus social extravert, because I'm a strong cognitive extravert but socially I toe the line of introversion - as with many Ne doms, I'm more interested in ideas than people.

but the quote says "in general". for ENFPs there is naturally strong emphasis on the subjective feeling, since its the supporting function for their objective intuitions.

what the quote is talking about is this: "I felt like I was giving up myself often to suit the direction that the ENFJ's Ni was taking us, because to maintain the strength of the connection between us, I had to keep bending to the Ni demands"

"The hahas are very sincere! (I totally stopped myself from writing haha again at the end...and it was hard)."

i have notice ENFPs are generally usually very adaptable like this and i think this is exactly about the trust in what is received from external world, feedback from someone else is easily treated as a truth about self, which naturally need to be supported or dismissed by the subjective feeling function(so its not all taken in necessarily and also depends on the development of Fi). also i think when the Fi judgment is ambivalent about the external feedback, ENFPs take it in relatively easily and trust it(the idea behind Fi/functionsingeneral development is partly that it is less ambivalent about things). if you compare ENFPs to INFPs for example, the big difference between the two is that INFPs doesent trust what emerges from external world so easily and is more critical towards external world with subjective feeling and is more inclined to examine personal motivations.

in that quote(if i understood you correctly), what you were saying was because keeping the relationship alive was so strong motivation to you. therefore, wouldnt it be correct to say that your personal motivation was the relationship, not the change itself? if so, doesent that mean that you actually didnt examine your personal motivations all that much about the changes you made? imo that was more about the 'what if' perceptions from your Ne which was the prime motivator in this.

i do agree that the quote can be quite misleading and is not accurate enough, but then again the lack of accuracy is fixed with the "in general".
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Perhaps you could also point out the cultural differences between countries that change attitudes and perceptions surrounding introversion and extraversion.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    I'm working on a speech I'm doing for a Communication class. It has to be 6-8 minutes long as an informative speech, so I thought I'd do it on something more useful, and chose Introversion and Extraversion.
    Since your class is on communication, you might include a section on differences in how Es and Is communicate, and how to communicate productively with oppositely inclined people. Another reference you might check is The Introvert Advantage. Yes, it focuses on introverts, but through comparison with Es will say something about both.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...