User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Speech on Introversion and Extraversion

Let's make this showy! Array raz's Avatar

I have that book, i just found it in a bookshelf with some others.

My aim is to remain objective and not include definitions related to MBTI.

Edit: We're supposed to send preliminary outlines, so this is what I sent to the teacher. I'm trying to keep it basic and within the scope of the kinds of topics people will bring to a normal communication class.

Speech Title: Introversion and Extraversion in Everyday Life

General purpose: To explain how one’s preference for introversion and extraversion affects their relationship with themselves and others.

Specific purpose: After listening to my speech, audience members will be able to identify whether they are primary introverted or extraverted, and begin to implement that knowledge to live a happier life.

Thesis: Introversion and extraversion refer how to people prefer to ‘refuel’ and engage the external world.

I. Introduction
    A. Attention getting technique – After you listen to this speech, do you think you will want to move on to something else or take a while to discuss what you just heard and reflect on the information? Your answer to this question depends on your temperament for introversion or extraversion.”
    B. Present thesis statement – Introversion and extraversion refer how to people prefer to ‘refuel’ and engage the external world.
    C. Motivate audience to listen – The common misconception is that introverts are lonely and shy, and that extraverts are loud and annoying. That’s wrong. How would you like to better understand your own friends and family?
    D. Establish credibility – Research on the preferences for Introversion and Extraversion began in the 1920’s, with Carl Jung making fantastic discoveries. Later in the 1950’s, Katharine Briggs and her daughter, Isabel Briggs Myers used Jung’s research to create a personality inventory called the Myers Briggs Type Indicator.
    E. Preview main points – An Introvert focuses internally, becoming more focused on their internal world and motivated by those desires. The Extravert looks to the external world, becoming energized by it and seeking interaction. Problems arise both personally and socially when these differences in temperament exist.

Transition: Let’s look first at the Introvert. How many people find themselves misunderstanding other people, especially extraverts and becoming annoyed at not desiring constantly interacting like the extraverts? Introverts find this issue consistently, especially in such a hectic society like ours.

II. Body

A. What is an Introvert?

1. How does an Introvert interact with the internal world?
    • Seeks solitude
    • Prefers ideas and concepts
    • Thinks to themselves
    • More depth in interests

2. How does an Introvert interact with the external world?
    • Smaller amount of close knit friends
    • Thinks first before acting
    • Avoids breadth of interests to focus on specific interests
    • Views external world as an object to support their internal world

Transition: The direct opposite of an Introvert is the Extravert. They achieve things differently, looking outward rather than inward.

B. What is an Extravert?

1. How does an Extravert interact with the external world?
    • Energized by external interaction
    • Seeks large amounts of friends, regardless of closeness
    • Tendency to think out loud
    • Acts first, and thinks later

2. How does an Extravert interact with their internal world?
    • Becomes restless and loses energy when focusing on internal world
    • Looks inward to support preference for extraversion
    • Find depth of interests to be dull
    • Try to limit under-stimulation from internal world

Transition: Now that introversion and extraversion has been clearly defined, how can we use this information to help us in our daily life? How many problems arise daily just from misunderstanding someone’s preference for gaining energy? Over 50% of the world is introverted, which studies showing that number to increase each decade.

C. How can we improve communication between Introverts and Extraverts?

1. Introverts vs. Extraverts
    • Be open to their ability to seek conversations and interaction
    • Understand that sometimes they need a “sounding board”
    • Do more things with them, feeding their interaction need
    • Avoid stereotypes and assumptions

2. Extraverts vs. Introverts
    • Understand that they don’t make the majority of their life public
    • Give them time to sort out their thoughts
    • Avoid pressuring them to socialize in uncomfortable situations
    • As with Extraverts, stereotypes and assumptions can exist

III. Conclusion

A. Signal the closure of the speech (transition) - Every person’s preference is readily noticeable, and with the right information, you can begin to understand how they act and behave. After hearing what I have told you, you can leave here knowing how the people around you interact with the world and adjust yourself to avoid miscommunication.
    B. Review main points - Introverts spend more time alone, where as Extraverts crave constantly “doing” something. The delicate balance in achieving competent communication between these two types of people comes in understand each person’s strengths while still identifying them as individual human beings. With this you can be much more competent as a communicator.
    C. Make speech memorable (provide your audience with a memory aid) After leaving from this audience, you should be able to understand how you choose to spend your time afterwards, whether it is more likely reflection or jumping into another activity. Your choice will help you determine whether you are introverted or extraverted.

IV. Organizational Pattern
    A. What Informative Organizational Pattern was chosen? Topic Pattern
    B. How/why does that pattern best fit your main ideas? This pattern best achieves explaining the definition and examples of introversion and extraversion while leading seamlessly to a third topic that joins them together and approaches issues regarding both of them.

V. Visual aid
    A. What type of visual aid(s) will be used? Statistics of amounts of introverts and extraverts, along with an image of Carl Jung
    B. How and when will it be used? Image of Carl Jung used in introduction and statistics shown in main point 3

VI. Sources (minimum of three to be referenced in Works Cited)
    A. Source 1: The Introvert Advantage by Marti Olsen Laney, Psy. D.
    B. Source 2: Personality Type: An Owner’s Manual by Lenore Thomson
    C. Source 3: What Type Am I? Discover Who You Really Are by Renee Baron
    Last edited by raz; 06-10-2012 at 09:24 PM.