• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Intuitives: Do you hate searching for things in your outer surroundings?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I have almost no awareness of my outer surroundings at all. One pet peeve of mine is to lose an object and then have to search for it. I really have to make a strong conscious effort to be very aware of my surroundings in these types of situations, so I hate it. Do any of the other N's on the forum feel this way?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am IxTP, so I could be N or S, but being on the border makes it so I can think about things and observe my surroundings simultaneously, and it is often from my environment that I get my ideas by imitating and perveiving nature in all its glory, and then I create the star of my birth in my mind, and then its light shines and manifests back into the external world.

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm actually relatively aware of my surroundings, but I have almost no awareness of my body. I exist almost purely in my awareness, intuition, and thoughts. By no means am I a dualist, though!

ETA: To me, this sounds like it could be the difference between Ne and Ni. One goes out to generate ideas and the other one looks inside.

IceBlock

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't hate, but I avoid. I'll only do it if I have to find something. I hate to keep waiting for some particular change in the place, because I can't remain focused in my sorroundings too long.

ESFPs and ESTPs often amazes me, noticing stuff (in videos, cartoons, tv shows, or even sorrounding objects) that in my opinion passes so fast that I'd never see it without their notification. Even other Se users, such as ISFP or ISTP make me impressed, and wondering if I'm the unfocused, or they are overly attentive.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I actually love searching for things, and apparently I'm pretty good at it. My awareness of my surroundings varies though, when deep in thought I can easily miss something like someone entering a room, or other obvious event. But when I'm actively searching for something I actually enjoy myself, it's like a treasure hunt or something. Though sometimes I admit I fall prey to the "miss something right in front of you" habit associated with Ns...

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm actually relatively aware of my surroundings, but I have almost no awareness of my body. I exist almost purely in my awareness, intuition, and thoughts.
This is one of my problems. I seem to do a lot of interaction with my environment unconsciously. In particular, I put things down somewhere strange and I don't register it; then I have to search all over the house for it. However, the main reason I find it annoying is because it happens so often. It's also rather embarrassing when you spent ages looking for something in a shop and then finally ask the assistant where it is, only to discover it's right in front of your eyes. :doh:

I do have to consciously over-compensate for my sensotard vision. Like when I'm driving, I will look twice as much at an intersection because I'm terrified that I will miss something. I fear that I will eventually come to a sticky end because of it.

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is one of my problems. I seem to do a lot of interaction with my environment unconsciously. In particular, I put things down somewhere strange and I don't register it; then I have to search all over the house for it. However, the main reason I find it annoying is because it happens so often. It's also rather embarrassing when you spent ages looking for something in a shop and then finally ask the assistant where it is, only to discover it's right in front of your eyes. :doh:

This happens to me all the time. Literally.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
We can sit in our jumpers and enjoy our thoughts.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think this is Ne. In your case it would be Ne rejecting Si. My ESFJ friend has a problem with misplaced things or moving things around, and she's constantly engaged in her physical environment, she's a big ol E3 "doer" but she still has enough tertiary Ne that she can get things scattered while she's consistently engaged with organizing other people, talking, and arranging the spice rack. Her bf I think is an Si dom so he has more Si and less Ne (pretty sure he's an ISFJ he plays the martyr to her drama and chaos) and he generally knows exactly where she puts everything.

Se types can also misplaced things or not notice because they are engaged in something else. I mean an Se dom can put on make up while driving a car and have a wreck because even though Se is more physical it really can't do everything at once, so if Im preoccupied with putting away groceries and making my food and eating, I may not notice that you velcroed dry erase markers to the wall.

On the other hand if Im not thus distracted I always notice things like if the fence is suddenly missing, there's a random purse hanging in my room that I didn't put there or you got a hair cut.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is one of my problems. I seem to do a lot of interaction with my environment unconsciously. In particular, I put things down somewhere strange and I don't register it; then I have to search all over the house for it. However, the main reason I find it annoying is because it happens so often. It's also rather embarrassing when you spent ages looking for something in a shop and then finally ask the assistant where it is, only to discover it's right in front of your eyes.
This is why I hate shopping. I don't lose too many things, though, because I am consistent about putting things back in the same place when they are done, or in some logical place calculated to minimize this possibility. For instance, I put everything I need to take with me in the morning on the kitchen table so I see it at breakfast, and won't forget anything.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If it isn't tied to me/vital for functioning, you can just about guarantee I won't find it for months. Truth is I don't even know why I bother with possessions at all, lol. I'm most happiest when I only have a few possessions to manage, lol.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Alzheimers involves short term memory loss, but increased awareness of ones long term memory, and seems to be connected to not exercising the brain with new stimulation, such as reading, learning, doing puzzles, and meeting new people. A good friend of mine has a dad with Alzheimers and he swears its because it was because his dad was such a boring, stilted person who didn't engage much with hobbies, learning or the world much in general, but especially after age 60. This is anecdotal but then if you research Alzheimers there's a correlation between people with more active brains and prevention or at least postponement of Alzheimers.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wonder if there is some correlation between MBTI and alzheimer's. :unsure:
Actually, when they do any sort of testing for Alzheimer's, they are supposed to take in account any predisposition for absent mindness.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When I lived with my mom and sister (ISFP and ESFP), if I couldn't find something in like 3 minutes, I would just ask them to find it. They would look over the same place I was looking and find it within 20 seconds. Whereas if I would have kept looking myself, it would have taken me like 20 minutes. I wonder how I'll find things now that I'm living on my own.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This is why I hate shopping. I don't lose too many things, though, because I am consistent about putting things back in the same place when they are done, or in some logical place calculated to minimize this possibility. For instance, I put everything I need to take with me in the morning on the kitchen table so I see it at breakfast, and won't forget anything.
Yeah, you've got to have a system, like a specific place to put your keys and you must force yourself to put them there every time, without fail - or else you waste your life away endlessly looking for them

Alzheimers involves short term memory loss, but increased awareness of ones long term memory, and seems to be connected to not exercising the brain with new stimulation, such as reading, learning, doing puzzles, and meeting new people. A good friend of mine has a dad with Alzheimers and he swears its because it was because his dad was such a boring, stilted person who didn't engage much with hobbies, learning or the world much in general, but especially after age 60. This is anecdotal but then if you research Alzheimers there's a correlation between people with more active brains and prevention or at least postponement of Alzheimers.
I heard this, but I've also heard that highly intelligent people are over-represented amongst Alzheimers sufferers too. The father of a family friend has it and he was a well read and very intelligent man (and did things like crosswords a lot). It's really sad.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I do have to consciously over-compensate for my sensotard vision. Like when I'm driving, I will look twice as much at an intersection because I'm terrified that I will miss something. I fear that I will eventually come to a sticky end because of it.

Quote 'cause I relate. All true for me... I'm an awful driver because of it. I don't see signs until it's too late... and it's all so overwhelming to me.
I've been notorious for losing little things since I was a kid because I placed them somewhere absentmindedly. I also do the "not seeing what's right in front of my face" thing when shopping.

I'm mainly aware of environment in an atmospheric way, where my mood is affected, as if I absorb is semi-consciously. I can be really enchanted by an environment though, and then details seem sort of luminous & I'm drawn into them, slightly hypnotized or intoxicated by them. I think this is tertiary Si with some Ne flavor...like objects take on a magical feel and emit meaning.

Elfa

Señora Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I have almost no awareness of my outer surroundings at all. One pet peeve of mine is to lose an object and then have to search for it. I really have to make a strong conscious effort to be very aware of my surroundings in these types of situations, so I hate it. Do any of the other N's on the forum feel this way?

I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!

It's very hard for me to find stuff. Sometimes I'm looking for something that's in front of me or in my hands, and I don't notice it's there. :kick me:

My mom and best friend usually mock me about it (both ISFPs). My mom has a apparently messy house, but she knows where is everything she has.
My ENTJ dad has a hard time looking for stuff too (he's mocked about that too), and he's always finding "better ways" to organize everything in our house, so he keeps changing where he puts stuff without telling me. So it's even harder for me to find stuff around here - that adding to my usual lack of awareness of my surroundings.

Frequently people want to comment with me about something that happened next to us, and I'm: "What? What happened? Where? When? What...?"

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
im pretty good at remembering where i put things, since i put them in places where its logical for them to be(logical from the perspective i am while putting it there, also i tend to put things back where i took them(for example i can tell where nearly all my spices are in about 3 cm accuracy in my spice cabinet, because i put them back exactly where i took them when using them), and i have really good episodic memory(remembering times, places, associated emotions, and other contextual knowledge), so i remember usually quite exactly where i was when i put my camera down last time(what room, what part of the room etc i was in when putting it down) and by going there i can easily notice where the item is, since its in a place that makes sense where im standing now). however, sometimes i might not remember where something is(if i have placed it somewhere without thinking about it, i put it in somewhere where it shouldnt be long time ago or am searching for scissors at mates apartment for example) and i often REALLY suck at finding things which are in unknown/illogical place. finding those things is also very frustrating and i get really annoyed fast if i dont find it fast, or have looked all over twice and simply cant find something, because my eyes simply didnt register the item when i was looking at where it is.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I relate with most of the N's about not being able to find things in my outer surroundings--even if they're right in front of me.

After sixth grade, when I had a horrible habit of forgetting the keys to the house at home, I pretty much forced myself to develop a system to get everything down. Before I would walk out of the door, I would pat myself down to make sure I had everything. Keys in left pocket? Pens, pencils in right? Wallet? Check. Good to go. When I deviate from the system or when I switch things up, I often screw things up.

The absolute worst for me is when I absent-mindedly set something down that's in-between places so that I don't keep walking around with it. Example: If I'm going running, I'll set my water bottle on a shelf/ledge or table, keep walking to let the dog outside, come back to go running, and forget where I'd just set my bottle. It'll sidetrack me for a minute or two, but that's with something I knew I'd JUST had. I could potentially lose something for days if I'm not paying attention. (I remember one time it took me a half-hour to find the remote control since I'd left it in the kitchen when I made lunch. I mean, wtf, why did I bring the remote into the kitchen?)